Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Using Bahrain registered vehicle in Saudi

Using Bahrain registered vehicle in Saudi

Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:36 pm
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using Bahrain registered vehicle in Saudi

I am about to accept an offer of 6 months work in Riyadh but the family will be remaining in Bahrain and I will be commuting back every weekend. Rather than hiring another car over there I am hoping to use my existing Bahrain registered 4wd for the time that I am there. The vehicle is 5 years old but still in very good condition. Does anyone know whether there are any restrictions about how long I can use a foreign registered vehicle in Saudi for or how long I can drive there on a Bahrain or British licence for? I understand that it wouldn't be possible to re-register the vehicle in Saudi because of it's age but am I right in thinking that there shouldn't be an issue with me using it in Saudi on Bahrain plates?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:04 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Bahrain registered vehicle in Saudi

Originally Posted by RJB123
I am about to accept an offer of 6 months work in Riyadh but the family will be remaining in Bahrain and I will be commuting back every weekend. Rather than hiring another car over there I am hoping to use my existing Bahrain registered 4wd for the time that I am there. The vehicle is 5 years old but still in very good condition. Does anyone know whether there are any restrictions about how long I can use a foreign registered vehicle in Saudi for or how long I can drive there on a Bahrain or British licence for? I understand that it wouldn't be possible to re-register the vehicle in Saudi because of it's age but am I right in thinking that there shouldn't be an issue with me using it in Saudi on Bahrain plates?
No issue as long as you have the paperwork to get it out of Bahrain. You need an NOC from the owner if it isn't you and then you have to buy insurance for Saudi on the border.

I think the insurance you buy on the border is just third party though, so if you want fully comp then you have to get it somewhere else...like asking your Bahraini insurer to sell you an extended policy that covers KSA.