Useful to know

Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

shmagic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Useful to know

Something I didn't realise when I lived in Kuwait was even if you maintain your home in UK and adult kids live there...your kids are classed as overseas students even if they have never stayed overseas WITH you....only over 25's are classed as independent in their own right.

I only found this out when my son returned to University to do further study and my husband and I were living overseas at the time.

There is a question on the form that asks if either parent has worked abroad in the last 3 years...if they have then they try to hit you with total cost of the education not just the usual fees.

This totally p**** me off as we had always kept out home here never rented it out paid full council tax etc. Yet my son was to be classed as an overseas student.

I actually had to return early so that youngest son would attend school here for 3 years otherwise he too would be classed as overseas student...and boarding school does NOT count towards residency in UK.

Has to be WITH a parent...although you can ask for special consideration and some councils do grant this.

Just thought I'd mention this as it was something I hadn't know but wished I had.

shmagic
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful to know

Originally Posted by shmagic
Something I didn't realise when I lived in Kuwait was even if you maintain your home in UK and adult kids live there...your kids are classed as overseas students even if they have never stayed overseas WITH you....only over 25's are classed as independent in their own right.

I only found this out when my son returned to University to do further study and my husband and I were living overseas at the time.

There is a question on the form that asks if either parent has worked abroad in the last 3 years...if they have then they try to hit you with total cost of the education not just the usual fees.

This totally p**** me off as we had always kept out home here never rented it out paid full council tax etc. Yet my son was to be classed as an overseas student.

I actually had to return early so that youngest son would attend school here for 3 years otherwise he too would be classed as overseas student...and boarding school does NOT count towards residency in UK.

Has to be WITH a parent...although you can ask for special consideration and some councils do grant this.

Just thought I'd mention this as it was something I hadn't know but wished I had.

shmagic
If you are a non-wage-earner (and thus not generating a tax bill anyway), keep your UK resident status, even if you are living overseas.

My daughter just started at uni - her mum is "living" in Sussex full-time....... and she has been accepted as a UK student by her uni and her local authority.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

shmagic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Useful to know

Thanks

I suddenly realised that this would be my position if we do come to Riyadh....actually as son is already at Uni now the renewal for tuition may not have that box on it as tends to be automatic....so sometimes NOT saying anything means not a lot happens unless or until someone asks don't vounteer is my motto.

Will do same as your wife though....I kept my dentist here and doctor too...even though resident overseas as did my husband...although technically he wasn't supposed to they knew the circumstances and just ignored the rules.

shmagic

PS should know next week if the move is onor off then its waiting for the compound accomodation

Last edited by shmagic; Oct 27th 2008 at 3:19 pm. Reason: sp