British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Used car buyers in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/used-car-buyers-dubai-881646/)

Leyland2016 Aug 10th 2016 9:28 am

Used car buyers in Dubai

Hi All,

I am living here in Dubai for almost 3 years now. a month ago I sold my used car with <<<SNIP>>> I can understand it's quite hassle to sell used cars especially here in UAE to an end user, as you need to post ads in dubizzle etc. most buyers they request to have a test drive, check the car from inside and out. and it's quite annoying as most of them are just "Bogus" buyers! but when I found out about <<<SNIP>>> they inspected my car, gave me a fair price, payment was transferred in an instant to my account and most of all paper works was done on the same day, as these guys are Authorized by the RTA. I MUST say it was a hassle free experience!

Need your opinion on following:

1. Would you prefer long process of selling your used cars? and why?

2. Should you take it to Dealer/Private buyer?

3. Should you go for a professional inspector to ensure minimum quality of the car or just leave it to your luck?

Thanks guys in advance!

Millhouse Aug 10th 2016 10:19 am

Re: Used car buyers in Dubai

Originally Posted by Leyland2016 (Post 12023678)
Hi All,

I am living here in Dubai for almost 3 years now. a month ago I sold my used car with <<<SNIP>>> I can understand it's quite hassle to sell used cars especially here in UAE to an end user, as you need to post ads in dubizzle etc. most buyers they request to have a test drive, check the car from inside and out. and it's quite annoying as most of them are just "Bogus" buyers! but when I found out about <<<SNIP>>> they inspected my car, gave me a fair price, payment was transferred in an instant to my account and most of all paper works was done on the same day, as these guys are Authorized by the RTA. I MUST say it was a hassle free experience!

3. Should you go for a professional inspector to ensure minimum quality of the car or just leave it to your luck?

Thanks guys in advance!

How much was the discount to the market price that you sold to simplybuy for?

Maybe you got a better deal as you clearly work for them.

Bahtatboy Aug 10th 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12023709)
How much was the discount to the market price that you sold to simplybuy for?

Maybe you got a better deal as you clearly work for them.

What's worse, any self-respecting car dealer would not call himself "Leyland". Unless, of course, he came from a country whose cars are actually worse than those which were produced by Leyland...

Is it just me? I can't say out loud "I am living here in Dubai for almost 3 years now" without involuntary muscle movements in my neck.

norsk Aug 10th 2016 4:18 pm

My experience is that they offer approx 50-60% of market value. If you are cool with leaving that money on the table then go for it!

Dubaiexile Aug 10th 2016 6:49 pm

Hi I have lived in Dubai for 16 years now and finally found a hooker that would take it up the jacksy without extra charge, I know when you normally negotiate a price this is an extra, but this girl just does it for no extra charge.
I must say it was a hassle free experience!

IKnowNothing Aug 11th 2016 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12024053)
Hi I have lived in Dubai for 16 years now and finally found a hooker that would take it up the jacksy without extra charge, I know when you normally negotiate a price this is an extra, but this girl just does it for no extra charge.
I must say it was a hassle free experience!

It's not the individual act, it's the overall cost surely? 600 + 200 for jacksy as opposed to 1,000 all in (so to speak).

TheShed Aug 11th 2016 4:20 am

I tried these guys at buyallwhatsit when I was looking to sell Mrs Shed's car. Its a bit of a con really as they don't actually buy the car. They line up about 10 sellers, keep them waiting round fro hours while they inspect the cars very thoroughly and then run an auction around a number of buyers and dealers. The price offered when I was there was 60-70% of real market and some who were desperate for cash completed the deal. I told them to foxtrot oscar and sold the car within 72 hours on Dubizzle for full market value.

jam25mack Aug 11th 2016 5:57 am

So what do folk think is the best way to sell?

My mate has a Audi Q7 for sale at the mo. She's only just put it up as shes ordered a Range Rover Sport. The Q7 is only a few years old, low miles, mint etc. I think shes punted it round the dealers and to the we buy any car crowd but obviously got offered way below market value.

Told her to whack it on Dubizzle.... shes so not looking forward to the process.

Millhouse Aug 11th 2016 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12024324)
So what do folk think is the best way to sell?

My mate has a Audi Q7 for sale at the mo. She's only just put it up as shes ordered a Range Rover Sport. The Q7 is only a few years old, low miles, mint etc. I think shes punted it round the dealers and to the we buy any car crowd but obviously got offered way below market value.

Told her to whack it on Dubizzle.... shes so not looking forward to the process.

That's a big car to shift right now. She might find that there is no market and the concept of market value will be set by the buyer.

Millhouse Aug 11th 2016 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12024302)
I tried these guys at buyallwhatsit when I was looking to sell Mrs Shed's car. Its a bit of a con really as they don't actually buy the car. They line up about 10 sellers, keep them waiting round fro hours while they inspect the cars very thoroughly and then run an auction around a number of buyers and dealers. The price offered when I was there was 60-70% of real market and some who were desperate for cash completed the deal. I told them to foxtrot oscar and sold the car within 72 hours on Dubizzle for full market value.

My mate had to sell a camero when he was leaving a couple of months ago.

It cost him 225k new, 9mths later he was offered 65k at webuyanyoldshitatbelowmarketprice. Managed to dump it to a dealer for 110k.

I offered to match the 65k offer 😃😃

DXBtoDOH Aug 11th 2016 5:18 pm

I'm always surprised by the number of expats who jump right into buying their dream luxury car without really understanding the market fundamentals. A Chevy Camaro has got to be one of the worst cars to resell in the UAE given the very small resale market that exist. It ain't Texas.

Some high end cars resell well. There's always a market for the Land Cruisers. The British have a fetish for Land Rovers and there's always a sucker lined up to buy yours. The Arabs love the Range Rovers. Prado is wildly overvalued thanks to the South Asians.

But the Audis is a more limited market. Especially for a big beast like the Q7. There's enough Lebos to keep the saloon market sustainable but anyone buying a SUV has to be prepared to accept a stiff loss (they're not proper 4x4, aren they?). If this lady can afford to swap to a Range Rover after only a few years she can swallow the loss. That's one of the benefits of being rich ;) Unless she isn't as rich as she likes to pretend she is :lol: which is too commonplace in Dubai :sneaky:

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12024440)
My mate had to sell a camero when he was leaving a couple of months ago.

It cost him 225k new, 9mths later he was offered 65k at webuyanyoldshitatbelowmarketprice. Managed to dump it to a dealer for 110k.

I offered to match the 65k offer 😃😃

Irishbeekeeper Aug 12th 2016 8:19 am

I put up my car for sale 2 weeks ago on Dubizzle and only got called twice and whatsapped 4-5 times. All by idiots who never show up after saying they would and then wont return the calls. One guy offered to buy it at less than 50% of its value and thats when I decided not to sell it. No use. It is a buyers market right now and unless you are willing to swallow that big a loss / or your visa is about to run out / the cars engine is about to fall out and you want to chuck it before it does, then why sell a perfectly running car? Sure I would sell it the moment I get anywhere close to a half-decent offer but now I sort of understand the whole buying / selling of used cars work. It is a dis-honest profession because you CANNOT make any money in this profession if you cant lie with a straight face. Lie to the guy who is selling the car about his car being a piece of sh*t so bring his cars value down and then lie to the guy buying that car by not pointing out the defects in the car. I even went to Ras AlKhor, thats a pit of rats if I ever saw one, and tried to sell there. One guy took pity on me and told me that whatever they offer here, even if you accept, they have their boys working for them in the closeby RTA checking facility and they will just trump up a fault in your car when you get it tested for the sale. Obviously to put u in a totally tight spot as you are already more than half-committed and by then you just say f*k it, give me whatever u want to give me and get me out of this hell hole :D
similarly, may God have mercy on the poor sod who goes there to actually buy a used car

mikelincs Aug 12th 2016 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Leyland2016 (Post 12023678)
Hi All,

Thanks guys in advance!

Wot? No second post, is that because that naughty mod has removed the links you were using to advertise?

iggle Aug 14th 2016 4:03 am

I have a BMW that needs buying, 30k. No questions asked

jam25mack Aug 14th 2016 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12024439)
That's a big car to shift right now. She might find that there is no market and the concept of market value will be set by the buyer.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Maybe this will make her think twice next time about going 'for a look' and ordering a fully specced up RR Sport!

Fortunately she can afford it tho. Damn lawyers!