Reload this Page >

US or Bahrain or Oman

US or Bahrain or Oman

Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:06 pm
Banned

darenatto is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US or Bahrain or Oman

Hi,

One of my friend already got H1B and have a job offer in US.Going to US means trouble,tax and problems.Also its too far from Pakistan.Airfares are too high.He is married with two kids.

He have another offer from Bahrain which is a short term (6 months).Bahrain have some visa issues for naturalized citizens but the money is better there.

Another offer he have is from Oman.Less money, closer to Dubai and permenant.

Any suggestions wrt to career etc. or advise where he may go with the family?

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:34 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or Bahrain or Oman

Originally Posted by darenatto
Hi,

One of my friend already got H1B and have a job offer in US.Going to US means trouble,tax and problems.Also its too far from Pakistan.Airfares are too high.He is married with two kids.

He have another offer from Bahrain which is a short term (6 months).Bahrain have some visa issues for naturalized citizens but the money is better there.

Another offer he have is from Oman.Less money, closer to Dubai and permenant.

Any suggestions wrt to career etc. or advise where he may go with the family?

Thanks

If someone was to give me more than I am earning now and the area was good I would go to the US in the drop of a hat...only for the freedom though.

N.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If he has gotten a H1, he'd be a muppet not to take it.

It's bloody hard to get the visa, and chances are in the small print that he'll have to repay all the costs of them getting the visa if he doesn't start, unless the employers are even bigger muppets....that'll be around $6K plus lawyers fees....he's got till Oct before he'll be able to start anyway, so some time to think things through.

The only real consideration is family, if he's married, the spouse won't be allowed to work on a spousal H4, neither will the kids.

If the company is willing to go to the cost and hassle of an H1B, why didn't he negotiate that they cover a family flight home once a year? They would be responsible to repatriate him if things don't work out, but all that means is air ticket, he'd have to negotiate that they'd pay for the rest of his stuff and family.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:15 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: US or UK or Oman

Originally Posted by Bob
If he has gotten a H1, he'd be a muppet not to take it.

It's bloody hard to get the visa, and chances are in the small print that he'll have to repay all the costs of them getting the visa if he doesn't start, unless the employers are even bigger muppets....that'll be around $6K plus lawyers fees....he's got till Oct before he'll be able to start anyway, so some time to think things through.

The only real consideration is family, if he's married, the spouse won't be allowed to work on a spousal H4, neither will the kids.

If the company is willing to go to the cost and hassle of an H1B, why didn't he negotiate that they cover a family flight home once a year? They would be responsible to repatriate him if things don't work out, but all that means is air ticket, he'd have to negotiate that they'd pay for the rest of his stuff and family.
He is married with 2 Kids.Its a contract job in UK (with workpermit) and US and there are no gurranttees that the work/his salary will last for year or six months or 1 month (all depends upon the end client and project budget). Whereas in Oman its permenant and tax free.

Last edited by smurtaza; Jul 3rd 2008 at 11:22 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Oman is a lovely place but a Pakistani may be made to feel like a second or third class citizen there!

bahrain would be even worse.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:29 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: US or Bahrain or Oman

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Oman is a lovely place but a Pakistani may be made to feel like a second or third class citizen there!

bahrain would be even worse.
I will be working in Oman on Australian passport...I worked in Australia for several years and its everywhere like that.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
I will be working in Oman on Australian passport...I worked in Australia for several years and its everywhere like that.
I think you will find its worse here.
Asians do a lot of the low paid jobs and many locals and some western expats will just assume an asian is a low paid unskilled worker.

Have seen it many time here where locals will walk straight past asians in a queue as if they are not there.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:40 am
Banned

Question Re: US or Bahrain or Oman

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I think you will find its worse here.
Asians do a lot of the low paid jobs and many locals and some western expats will just assume an asian is a low paid unskilled worker.

Have seen it many time here where locals will walk straight past asians in a queue as if they are not there.
During any interview at least in Australia/NZ, mostly people ask what is your original nationality?Even if you are Australian/NZ people are keen to ask nationality to determine suitability for job....
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Hussein is an unknown quantity at this point

During any interview at least in Australia/NZ, mostly people ask what is your original nationality?Even if you are Australian/NZ people are keen to ask nationality to determine suitability for job....
thanks
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Myself or my family have never been asked my "original nationality" in either country. If you hold an Australian passport you are an Australian and same with Kiwi. It is actually consider illegal to do so and you may pursue legal action if someone does. It is simply not done. I have how ever been asked countless times here, "no but were are you really from".. erm I just told you!!