British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Urgent alcohol-related legal problem! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/urgent-alcohol-related-legal-problem-568882/)

boothgirl Oct 23rd 2008 4:04 pm

Urgent alcohol-related legal problem!

To cut a long story short, two local guys I just barely knew through a friend tried to rape me on the way back from Hatta. I jumped out of the car and smashed my leg breaking 2 bones that needed plates, screws and a stay in hospital. There was alcohol in my blood from the night before (that I spent with other friends not them!) although the incident took place at 9.30am. (Yes, I know, stupid Western woman, all my fault for being naive and trusting - but I thought Allah kind of took precedence out here??).

I have a lawyer, but there is now a case both for and against me. They are both connected so far - I am told by my lawyer there will be a 1000-5000 Dirham fine for consumption of alcohol without a license and this I can live with. We are making a seperate case against the attackers for additional compensation. They have been charged with consumption of alcohol, driving under the influence, attempted rape and criminal conspiracy.

Today my lawyer told me they will accept part of my settlement (if any) for the civil issue against the attackers. But the legal fees for defending me against the alcohol charge will be 10,000 Dirhams based on their hourly rates! There is no way I can afford this. Can I just defend myself against the alcohol charge? How difficult is this? Are the courts all in Arabic? Will the British embassy help? The police have my passport and I am not happy as my visa has now expired as well!

Or shall I just stick with my lawyers and try and persuade them to deal with both sides for a portion of the settlement if any. One of the families have offered 25,000 Dirhams so far - which seems a paltry sum for Emirati nationals but apparently they cannot afford more.

Any advice appreciated! And again, I know I am stupid I am just dealing with the fall-out as best I can.

Thanks.

Eva Oct 23rd 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Urgent alcohol-related legal problem!

Originally Posted by boothgirl (Post 6903074)
To cut a long story short, two local guys I just barely knew through a friend tried to rape me on the way back from Hatta. I jumped out of the car and smashed my leg breaking 2 bones that needed plates, screws and a stay in hospital. There was alcohol in my blood from the night before (that I spent with other friends not them!) although the incident took place at 9.30am. (Yes, I know, stupid Western woman, all my fault for being naive and trusting - but I thought Allah kind of took precedence out here??).

I have a lawyer, but there is now a case both for and against me. They are both connected so far - I am told by my lawyer there will be a 1000-5000 Dirham fine for consumption of alcohol without a license and this I can live with. We are making a seperate case against the attackers for additional compensation. They have been charged with consumption of alcohol, driving under the influence, attempted rape and criminal conspiracy.

Today my lawyer told me they will accept part of my settlement (if any) for the civil issue against the attackers. But the legal fees for defending me against the alcohol charge will be 10,000 Dirhams based on their hourly rates! There is no way I can afford this. Can I just defend myself against the alcohol charge? How difficult is this? Are the courts all in Arabic? Will the British embassy help? The police have my passport and I am not happy as my visa has now expired as well!

Or shall I just stick with my lawyers and try and persuade them to deal with both sides for a portion of the settlement if any. One of the families have offered 25,000 Dirhams so far - which seems a paltry sum for Emirati nationals but apparently they cannot afford more.

Any advice appreciated! And again, I know I am stupid I am just dealing with the fall-out as best I can.

Thanks.

Okay, Ill go first.

Given the element of volens (voluntary acceptance of specific risk), the legal fees and medic costs-if 25k covers it-take it, move on and put it down to error of judgement.It coulda ended up much worse but you won't make the same mistake again will you.

As to your comment about the actual offer of 25k being 'a paltry sum'
What exactly are you looking for from this family and why?They really aren't their grown up son(?) s keeper.

banter64 Oct 23rd 2008 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6903181)
Okay, Ill go first.

Given the element of volens (voluntary acceptance of specific risk), the legal fees and medic costs-if 25k covers it-take it, move on and put it down to error of judgement.It coulda ended up much worse but you won't make the same mistake again will you.

What exactly are you looking for from this family and why?They really aren't their grown up son(?) s keeper.

From a legal perspective, I would take the money and run, do you really want your name and face plastered all over the papers ? think of your career.

Yes they were in the wrong but also you were Hatta comes under Sharjah and you are lucky that they are only charging you with consumption and not for being in a car with a man that is not your husband.

The paltry sum that you are talking about will not take away the memories BUT it may stop this case ruining your life in Dubai forever.

Another point is that if it has gone to the Public Prosecuters office you may not have a choice to stop the case and it will go to court, I would act as soon as you can.

Inselaffen Oct 24th 2008 1:33 am

Originally Posted by banter64 (Post 6903295)
From a legal perspective, I would take the money and run, do you really want your name and face plastered all over the papers ? think of your career.

Yes they were in the wrong but also you were Hatta comes under Sharjah and you are lucky that they are only charging you with consumption and not for being in a car with a man that is not your husband.

The paltry sum that you are talking about will not take away the memories BUT it may stop this case ruining your life in Dubai forever.

Another point is that if it has gone to the Public Prosecuters office you may not have a choice to stop the case and it will go to court, I would act as soon as you can.

If you are going to give advice to people on imprtant matters make sure you have your facts right.

Hatta is part of the Dubai Emirate.

lobby lou Oct 24th 2008 5:40 am

I would say cut your loses and run ........if you go to court you may get more than you bargain for......and not in a good way ...the tables can be turned very easily here in court .......

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2008 7:20 am

Originally Posted by boothgirl (Post 6903074)

Thanks.

I have to be honest here and say that I am rather suspicious about this posting. Why come onto an open forum of complete strangers and post about something that really is rather topical here at the moment. I truly hope that if this is genuine you get your problem sorted out. I hope you aren't a reporter trying to gauge how people are reacting to women and alcohol in the Middle East etc.

Madam Medusa Oct 24th 2008 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6905194)
I have to be honest here and say that I am rather suspicious about this posting. Why come onto an open forum of complete strangers and post about something that really is rather topical here at the moment. I truly hope that if this is genuine you get your problem sorted out. I hope you aren't a reporter trying to gauge how people are reacting to women and alcohol in the Middle East etc.

hmmm...the plot thickens...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2008 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6905202)

MM, xx

call me Mirren, Helen Mirren :p

Madam Medusa Oct 24th 2008 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6905242)
call me Mirren, Helen Mirren :p

don't you mean tennyson, jane tennyson...!!!!!

MM, xx

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6905247)
don't you mean tennyson, jane tennyson...!!!!!

MM, xx

I mean Bravo, Juliet Bravo :p

Confucius Oct 24th 2008 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6905252)
I mean Bravo, Juliet Bravo :p

She means Up...Shut Up...

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2008 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6905431)
She means Up...Shut Up...

I get the message :)

Charismatic Oct 24th 2008 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6905202)

MM, xx

Consistency of gravy IMO.

Madam Medusa Oct 24th 2008 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6906064)
Consistency of gravy IMO.

yeah, deep, brown and always slightly unbelievable...

MM, xx

boothgirl Oct 24th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6903181)
Okay, Ill go first.

Thanks everybody for rsvp.

Sorry, to make it clear the family came to me in hospital and offered me money - I had no idea you could even do such a thing - in exchange for a reduced sentence for their sons - who are 17 years old, hence them trying to buy their way out of this. The medical fees, legal fees, time off work etc will cost significantly more than 25,000 - not to mention the metal plates in my legs! I have been told typical compensation should be at least 4 or 5 times what they are offering but apparently this is all they can afford. However, I am equally tempted just to tell them to keep their money and let them serve the full sentence.

What I really need to know - specifically - is how easy is it to defend myself through the alcohol charge against me? Can I just scrap my lawyers and deal with this myself? I don't really want to pay 10,000 Dirhams legal fees to plead guilty to drinking a duty-free bottle of wine and get a fine of 1-5,000. Seems like an unnecessary expense I cannot afford. Can I go through the court system without a lawyer or would that just be totally stupid - yet again!?

By the way, no, I am not a reporter! I wish. Photographic evidence available!