Reload this Page >

Urgent advice for job offer in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Urgent advice for job offer in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

RAMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent advice for job offer in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Hi everyone,

This is my 1st time on this forum and was hoping if I could get some urgent info/advice if you guys don’t mind.

I have been asked to attend a face to face interview in Dubai tomorrow to discuss a role as an Assistant Q.S.

I have worked in Dubai before (2007-2008) so I am already familiar with the place, expenses etc. Accommodation and transport was provided + 8k AED a month salary and the other usual benefits.

Now I understand that since my time out of Dubai, rents have dropped and so I will have no problem in finding a studio or 1 bedroom apartment for about 60k a year (Discovery gardens or similar) + take a rental car.

The advice I need is what kind of package can I expect realistically this time around. I am single status and tend not to overspend. No need for pubs, clubs etc. I Would want to save about £10k a year. But that doesn’t mean I want to live like a labourer.

I maybe offered a position in Abu Dhabi instead of Dubai depending on the projects the company picks up, where I know that accommodation is a big problem.

I have made a breakdown as follows for a job offer in Dubai,

Proposed per month:

Salary: AED 17K
Accommodation: AED 5k
Car rental: AED 3k
Food: AED 2500
Others leisure etc: AED 1K

I'm looking to save AED 5k a month minimum, so if anyone wants to have a fiddle with the figures your more than welcome.

Also if I was to get an offer in Abu Dhabi what would be the correct adjustments? I would be looking for a studio apartment in a reasonable location? Is it viable to commute from Al Ain or Dubai? I used to travel 1hr 30min (approx) each way from Mirdif to Palm Jumeirah so I’m no stranger to travelling

I appreciate any help with the above matter. If you require any other info please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:49 am
Just Joined

.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future.....whichwasnice has a brilliant future
Default Re: Urgent advice for job offer in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Hey,

Even if your contract is AD, I'd go with a studio or 1 bed in the new buillds south of Dubai, the difference in AD rents are still significant enough to make it worth your while. Lots more people are doing the dubai and drive option from the marina or wherever these days

The Sadiyat bridge opened last week, so that will either speed up your journey to Mina / Tourist club / corniche for that end of town, or at least split and reduce traffic before Raha for the top of the island.

Package - Based on your post, I think you've worked out pretty well what you need...

Good luck with your meeting today
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:42 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Your rental car can be had for less than 3K if you don't mind a Lancer (not the fast kind).

The flat will likely be no more than 4 installments so I hope the company is picking this up and deducting 5K per month.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RAMO

Also if I was to get an offer in Abu Dhabi what would be the correct adjustments? I would be looking for a studio apartment in a reasonable location? Is it viable to commute from Al Ain or Dubai? I used to travel 1hr 30min (approx) each way from Mirdif to Palm Jumeirah so I’m no stranger to travelling

I appreciate any help with the above matter. If you require any other info please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Its a pretty good offer, we dont pay our QS's that much at the moment. If you are looking at a place in AD, you can budget on Dh 90K for a studio/one bed off-Island in KCA. We have a lot of people driving daily from Dubai, but personally, with big hours, could be hazardous to health doing that drive.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Hi there,

Thanks for all the advice given above.

The interview went well and I have been given an offer of employment.

I was wondering if there are any common issues that others may have experienced with job offers in the UAE that you may feel I should clarify with the employer before I accept the offer.

Thanks again for any advice. I really appreciate your comments.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:51 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks for all the advice given above.

The interview went well and I have been given an offer of employment.

I was wondering if there are any common issues that others may have experienced with job offers in the UAE that you may feel I should clarify with the employer before I accept the offer.

Thanks again for any advice. I really appreciate your comments.
if you wish to disclose the particulars of the offer, please do and we may be able to comment.

and congratulations!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks commander,

I am currently in the process of receiving a formal employment contract and therefore unsure about the contract particulars.

However I’ve had a brief discussion with the employer and there was mention of the 6 month probation period after which I will be given a permanent contract. From experience does anyone know the common contract durations?

I have been given a AED 10,000 one off furniture allowance which is to be amortized over 4 years, One annual ticket home and I have been told that I will be given my housing allowance in 2 installments (6 months at a time) so they will deduct the amount monthly from my gross salary (only for the first year).

As soon as I receive the full terms & conditions I’ll let you know.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:39 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks commander,

I am currently in the process of receiving a formal employment contract and therefore unsure about the contract particulars.

However I’ve had a brief discussion with the employer and there was mention of the 6 month probation period after which I will be given a permanent contract. From experience does anyone know the common contract durations?

I have been given a AED 10,000 one off furniture allowance which is to be amortized over 4 years, One annual ticket home and I have been told that I will be given my housing allowance in 2 installments (6 months at a time) so they will deduct the amount monthly from my gross salary (only for the first year).

As soon as I receive the full terms & conditions I’ll let you know.
well so far it sounds good i would ask for the full 12 months housing allowance upfront as most landlords in AD still insist on the 12months rent upfront.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I forgot to mention I have been offered a position in Dubai. The office is in Al Garhoud. Any recommendations for a 1 bedroom apartment? I have a budget of AED60k per annum.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Is it with a Western Company or a local company? There are ups and downs of each.

6 months probation period in this part of the world is not uncommon. Govt jobs have 6 months probation in AD.

Watch out for some of the relocation costs/furniture payments etc being paid after the probation period. Have heard of local companies putting their own interpretation on what probation means.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

It’s a local company / western company joint venture.

Yes 6 months probation is not a problem, it's as mentioned in the UAE labour law.

Does anyone know the procedure for attestation of my UK degree certificate? This is required for my visa.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Sorry I forgot to mention I have been offered a position in Dubai. The office is in Al Garhoud. Any recommendations for a 1 bedroom apartment? I have a budget of AED60k per annum.
You could try the buildings in Garhoud Village? My mate used to live there (the ones right beside le meridien and across from the Millenium Airport Hotel) They had apartments in there for 80k when it was booming. Not sure what they would be now but im guessing less (around 65k?) if they have got rid of their "waiting" list.

That would be perfect for your job also.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

try international city, you will get some very very good deals there and its only a 30min drive(give or take the daily smash ups)
you could live closer but then your costs might not cover your digs.
theres good value for money out there and your deal seems pretty decent as some of our Q.S's dont even get that.
well done for nailing the job, anymore just ask