Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

Old Apr 13th 2021, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You are suggesting a person who has been banned from driving in the UK due to dangerous driving and causing severe injury to someone, gets a foreign licence and uses that to drive when in the UK.

I have a near relative incur life changing injuries due to someone else's dangerous driving, I find your suggestion both irresponsible and repugnant. Your 'mate' should have been locked up.
Not sure I was suggesting he do that. So you think it’s never happened before?
Old Apr 13th 2021, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not sure I was suggesting he do that. So you think it’s never happened before?
I see a plausible scenario where he takes lessons and a test here. Gets a license and can then use that in the UK.

I find the above a suggestion.....
Old Apr 14th 2021, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I see a plausible scenario where he takes lessons and a test here. Gets a license and can then use that in the UK.

I find the above a suggestion.....
Only you know what you read between the lines and choose to be offended by. To think this hasn’t happened before is naive.

Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You are suggesting a person who has been banned from driving in the UK due to dangerous driving and causing severe injury to someone, gets a foreign licence and uses that to drive when in the UK.

I have a near relative incur life changing injuries due to someone else's dangerous driving, I find your suggestion both irresponsible and repugnant. Your 'mate' should have been locked up.
I've had an actual relative die in a car crash.

Should I be offended as well or do I have to do something first? Is there a form to fill in?
Old Apr 14th 2021, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

A mate of mine was caught in the UK doing 140 mph in a rental. Lucky for him, he only had his UAE license on him... lots of scathing of heads down the police station and a fixed penalty notice. Would have been serious had he hired on his UK License.
Lordy what did he rent to get to 140mph on a UK road - guess it wan't from the Hyundai i10 or similar class (five doors, two suitcases).

I'd like to mock SanDiegoGirls outrage just because it's someone on a forum who is OFFENDED but at that speed she does have a point. Reckless beyond belief and I'd agree with a custodial sentence. What a C * NT
Old Apr 14th 2021, 11:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uktouae2021
I am newly married, unfortunately I got myself into a bit of bother and I have an unspent conviction for Serious injury by dangerous driving as a result I don't have a driving license. My wife is a secondary school teacher and she has received a good offer to work in the UAE.

With my previous conviction how easy is it going to be for me to find employment working in project management/business development/area manager etc
A friend of mine was involved in an inceident where he was a PASSENGER in a stolen car, he didn't even know it was stolen, but they were caught and he was prosecuted and banned from driving for 12 months, he didn't even have a license at the time. He later applied for a job in the UAE and was offered it. He accepted and they asked for a police check, once they got this the offer was immediately withdrawn due to a criminal record. I suspect this may well apply in your case.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 2:23 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure that convictions for dangerous driving are considered bonus points when exchanging a license in Dubai. Unless enforcement and standards have improved dramatically since I left.