Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

Old Apr 12th 2021, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Uktouae2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

I am newly married, unfortunately I got myself into a bit of bother and I have an unspent conviction for Serious injury by dangerous driving as a result I don't have a driving license. My wife is a secondary school teacher and she has received a good offer to work in the UAE.

With my previous conviction how easy is it going to be for me to find employment working in project management/business development/area manager etc
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unspent UK conviction and want to move to UAE

Originally Posted by Uktouae2021
I am newly married, unfortunately I got myself into a bit of bother and I have an unspent conviction for Serious injury by dangerous driving as a result I don't have a driving license. My wife is a secondary school teacher and she has received a good offer to work in the UAE.

With my previous conviction how easy is it going to be for me to find employment working in project management/business development/area manager etc
I'm fairly certain that a Police Certificate is not currently part of the visa process but it could be a requirement by your respective employer, obviously you won’t know that until you find a role to apply for.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Uktouae2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKMS
I'm fairly certain that a Police Certificate is not currently part of the visa process but it could be a requirement by your respective employer, obviously you won’t know that until you find a role to apply for.
As I don't have a UK driving license, how would I go about driving?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Employ a driver .... ?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

As you are probably aware you would normally ‘swap’ your UK licence for a UAE licence (assuming you have residence) ..... anyone who doesn’t have a licence or from a country where you can’t exchange has to go through lessons, theory and practical test.

Your scenario would be tricky as somewhere along the way you are likely to have to declare whether you’ve held a licence before etc (I’m not 100% sure what’s on the application for a non driver) .... how you respond is your choice but personally I’d avoid mis declaring anything in the UAE particularly as it involves a criminal conviction.

So the answer to your question is probably do whatever you do in the UK (assuming you don’t drive while disqualified) .... taxi, metro, bus or as above an ad hoc driver.

Last edited by UKMS; Apr 12th 2021 at 10:29 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

When do you get your UK license back?
Do you still have both parts (paper and plastic)? If so, you might be able to present them and swap for a UAE one without anyone realising.
I know people who've been here for years and not had a car, just use Careem / Uber.
Does your mrs drive? She could chauffeur you around.
What do you do for a living?
Old Apr 13th 2021, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What do you do for a living?
Uber driver. He will be fine.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
As you are probably aware you would normally ‘swap’ your UK licence for a UAE licence (assuming you have residence) ..... anyone who doesn’t have a licence or from a country where you can’t exchange has to go through lessons, theory and practical test.

Your scenario would be tricky as somewhere along the way you are likely to have to declare whether you’ve held a licence before etc (I’m not 100% sure what’s on the application for a non driver) .... how you respond is your choice but personally I’d avoid mis declaring anything in the UAE particularly as it involves a criminal conviction.

So the answer to your question is probably do whatever you do in the UK (assuming you don’t drive while disqualified) .... taxi, metro, bus or as above an ad hoc driver.
I see a plausible scenario where he takes lessons and a test here. Gets a license and can then use that in the UK.

A mate of mine was caught in the UK doing 140 mph in a rental. Lucky for him, he only had his UAE license on him... lots of scathing of heads down the police station and a fixed penalty notice. Would have been serious had he hired on his UK License.

Old Apr 13th 2021, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It won't factor into it apart from the ability to drive. Oh, and dont for one minute think it is easy to pass a test here... 40 lessons minimum, and a pass rate of about 1/3... even if you can already drive.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 13th 2021 at 6:38 am.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 6:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Uber driver. He will be fine.
Project Management could be multiple industries.
BD could be literally every industry on earth.
Area Management could be a life guard or a Chief Exec.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds like the job title of someone who does waxing.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I see a plausible scenario where he takes lessons and a test here. Gets a license and can then use that in the UK.
until you get stopped and checked or do something else and have fingerprints and/or DNA taken .... then the proverbial hits the fan.

A casual driver would probably be cheaper than lessons and repeated tests.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Project Management could be multiple industries.
BD could be literally every industry on earth.
All roads lead to financial advisor company.

Last edited by Gavtek; Apr 13th 2021 at 11:44 am. Reason: Name of company is censored
Old Apr 13th 2021, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gavtek
All roads lead to financial advisor company.
All roads lead to my phone contact named 'Don't Answer'
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

A mate of mine was caught in the UK doing 140 mph in a rental. Lucky for him, he only had his UAE license on him... lots of scathing of heads down the police station and a fixed penalty notice. Would have been serious had he hired on his UK License.

You are suggesting a person who has been banned from driving in the UK due to dangerous driving and causing severe injury to someone, gets a foreign licence and uses that to drive when in the UK.

I have a near relative incur life changing injuries due to someone else's dangerous driving, I find your suggestion both irresponsible and repugnant. Your 'mate' should have been locked up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.