Reload this Page >

'Unregistering' with GP in the UK

'Unregistering' with GP in the UK

Old Aug 16th 2013, 11:33 am
Just Joined

GB_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Unregistering' with GP in the UK

Hi all,

I recently phoned my doctors surgery to ask about how long term prescriptions work and during the course of the conversation the receptionist informed me that if I'm out of the UK for longer than 3 months I will be taken off their records and will have to re-register on my return.

However, I will still be registered at an address in the UK and will continue to pay tax whilst working in Saudi. I've lived abroad for longer than 3 months before as a student and have spent 4 months backpacking, for neither of these times did I have to be taken off their records.

Anyone got any advice on what to do/push with my surgery? I've read a lot of differing things on here and the net, so I'm hoping someone who's been in a similar situation can give me some advice!

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:06 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Unregistering' with GP in the UK

lie , or don't tell them anything.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

GB_ME is an unknown quantity at this point

Hahaha...I was thinking about that, but I've already spoken to them about it and also I need to change my address as my contact address in the UK won't be the same as where I'm living now.

Pretty stuck I think!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get your mail forwarded by the Post Office, There is a charge. No one else needs to know that you have moved.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore your doctor

The only time anything will happen is if you register yourself as living abroad permanently with HMRC.
The wheels then turn in motion and they will inform your GP that they should return your records to a central repository

For the old expats on here who will grumble, "that never happened to me".

Then they are right, it didn't used to happen but it does now, Trust me I knows but your local GP wont know why your records have suddenly disappeared

However if you haven't told the doctor you are shipping, and if you have then tell them you are not now shipping, then you will fine as HMRC are still taking their share of your earnings