Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Unmarried couple wanting to relocate to Dubai

Unmarried couple wanting to relocate to Dubai

Old Aug 6th 2020, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unmarried couple wanting to relocate to Dubai

Originally Posted by Kimedin87
I get what you mean about marriage but we don't want to get married out on necessity.

The flat share is for meeting people and forming friendships it was recommended to help settle in to Dubai.

My partner is getting paid for his job with commission but if you know some further information regarding Dubai or the financial sector jobs there that we need to be aware of please do pass it on as this is our first ever move to a new country and we are trying to find out as much information needed.
what are financial sectors jobs? like what will he do on a Sunday morning.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Kimedin87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone thank you for your comments this is what we wanted to know the reality, as when online it looks great the move... a dream come true nursery jobs for 10k a month on a british based nursery my partner earn 9k a month plus commission rent being between 3k-5k again reachable with the pay we would both be earning.

Like I said dream come true but it seems this isn't reality, so what made you all move to Dubai? What's your experiences and stories any more information will always be appreciated?

Many thanks
Kim
Old Aug 6th 2020, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Nursery nurse" is seen as "Childcare or baby-sitting" by locals. Filipinas do it for 1000 Dirhams a month. I think the OP has unrealistic expectations and a distorted picture of life on The Trucial Coast (i.e. The Emirates)

Expecting to go as a couple without the benefit of matrimony is also not smart.

Excuse me being blunt.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 6th 2020 at 8:34 am.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone thank you for your comments this is what we wanted to know the reality, as when online it looks great the move... a dream come true nursery jobs for 10k a month on a british based nursery my partner earn 9k a month plus commission rent being between 3k-5k again reachable with the pay we would both be earning.

Like I said dream come true but it seems this isn't reality, so what made you all move to Dubai? What's your experiences and stories any more information will always be appreciated?

Many thanks
Kim
you will struggle to find a 10k job in a nursery. Before Covid it would have been 5-8k roughly. Post Covid most are closing or cutting costs.

9k + commission. Is he actually a qualified IFA?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Kim
Good Question, the few people left in Dubai on this forum arrived long before the crash and establish a solid enough base to weather it. The ones that didn't moved to Saudi for the better pay and conditions. Those that didn't do that are in Skegness apparently.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

A friend once used to say, never mind the country, if you want a stockbroker lifestyle you better be a stockbroker. Don't take a job in this region if you need 2 jobs just to hang in there. Crap, I wouldn't even think about a job that didn't leave enough every month to survive 2 more months back home with no income. Every 6 months work means I can last 12 months without work, at least. If you are a Brit under 30 I would say get enough experience back home to come to the region in a senior role with a senior salary, if you can't make it there there's a high probability you wouldn't make it in the Middle East either. Different strokes n'all but pretty much that.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
...... Don't take a job in this region if you need 2 jobs just to hang in there. Crap, I wouldn't even think about a job that didn't leave enough every month to survive 2 more months back home with no income. Every 6 months work means I can last 12 months without work, at least. ......
Agreed. While I have never worked in the ME, I did consider it, and I don't think there is any point going there if you aren't being paid enough to salt away a generous part of your pay. In other words, don't take a position that only covers your living expenses and modest savings.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kim

I would seriously look at the affordability of this place and the reality in terms of salary and job prospects. A combined 19k plus commission (if you’re lucky) is probably just going to keep you afloat here and you’ll be surprised how quickly your money vanishes.

If you’re adamant of making the move then I’d suggest your partner come out here first for a few months and make a solid judgement then. Nursery’s aren’t open yet and when they do resume I believe it will be a mixture of online line learning, something that we had to try due to Covid and it was a stinker! My son hated it. Considering the financial hit they’ve take I would highly doubt you would be getting close to that 10k Mark.

If your partner is joining the D firm or something similar then I would recommend against it, you will burn your money and be used and abused. I now of countless expats caught out by this and end up leaving a lot poorer. Some come here fully aware it’s a bit a sh-t show and just use it for the experience...better than working at JD sports I guess.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old Aug 6th 2020, 8:36 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

A commission only role with 9k pcm "basic" (equivalent to c. GBP23k) is very much an entry level job in the financial sector. If its without other benefits (such as housing, visa, health insurance) will not get you far if you have western expectations of lifestyle.

If the compensation promised is largely commission, at an entry level, in Dubai, this isn't a trading job (where money can be made, if you have experience and are given risk limits) and certainly not "back office" (where you have a discretionary bonus as you are not revenue producing), it is a sales role.

Advising expats well, requires a highly specialized skill set which is often distinctly lacking on the ground. From personal experience, I obtain most of my advice from my home base and certainly not from a freshly minted "advisor" with a few weeks training who just got out the airport. Many of the financial advisors I have come across in this region, southern Spain, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia have a common theme and it's not pretty. I have in fairness met a 2 financial advisors in my travels who were substantially above the normal standard, one got completely burned by his can't be named employer in his move to Hong Kong, despite having built a good skill set in the UK for a major bank.

My strong suggestion is to build up a skill set in the UK at a reputable institution and look to move internationally after gaining at least 6 years experience if you don't have strong links to the country that you want to move to.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 6:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Just as a counter to the marriage posts.

We didn't 'just get married' for the sake of it when we moved here. We want to get married for nice reasons, not to satisfy paperwork.
We both work however, and whilst there have been the odd times it might have just been easier to do it, we have decided against it.
Currently engaged, should have been married a week ago but Covid, you know. Been here for 9+ years, lived together the whole time, touch wood, no issues.

However, having read the rest of your posts, neither of you are quite ready to come and earn and be stable enough I think. Millhouse is right on salary levels, so two of you earning about 12-15k (being generous) would be very, very, very tight indeed. Don't get me wrong, I know people doing this and surviving (well, round it up to about 18k) but they have housing on top (Teachers). If you drop 5k on a flatshare you're looking at 7-10k in pocket;
1,500 on a budget car
800 on cabs for the other person to get to work (20 each way, 5dpw)
2,000 on food
1,000 towards a flight home each year
Total of c 5,300

That leaves 1,700 - 4,700 to save / drink / pretend you're loaded on Instagram with.

Whilst 4,700 sounds like good disposable income in pounds to someone at the start of their career, it isn't when you're here and consider you need cash, you need a get-out-of-town fund, you need a lot to just get set up.

I'd hold fire until you had two solid job offers and they're both at least 12-15k a pop.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Kimedin87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,
We would like to thank everyone for all the comments. We have both decided not to go to Dubai and continue our journey in the UK for the time being.

We have looked at all the advice given to us and realised we could be making a huge mistake and could be worse off financially.

We really appreciate it, and the people who apologised for being blunt don't be we wanted honesty, We wanted to be fully aware of what it was really like and if we could survive out there.

Many thanks
Kim
Old Aug 9th 2020, 1:17 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,
We would like to thank everyone for all the comments. We have both decided not to go to Dubai and continue our journey in the UK for the time being.

We have looked at all the advice given to us and realised we could be making a huge mistake and could be worse off financially.

We really appreciate it, and the people who apologised for being blunt don't be we wanted honesty, We wanted to be fully aware of what it was really like and if we could survive out there.

Many thanks
Kim
No problem and thanks for following up. Within these forums there are a number of people with extensive financial sector experience, so if looking for tips on the sector in the regions, it is worth asking more on that topic.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 8:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the current economic climate, its good to see at least some people being sensible - 100% the right decision.
Too many people go to Dubai on low packages thinking the streets are paved with gold, then get into debt (as Scamp alluded to, image on social media to people back home is like a drug to some people).
Its been said many times on this forum, Dubai is not the place to be unless you have a good income.