British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Unmarried Couple - Hotel in Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/unmarried-couple-hotel-qatar-939532/)

Scoosh Jul 12th 2021 7:03 pm

Unmarried Couple - Hotel in Qatar

Hi All

This may be an ignorant/ naive question but I will ask it anyway.

My partner and I are (hopefully) flying from UK to Sydney in October, with a 20 hour layover in Doha, Qatar. Due to the length of the layover, we are considering booking a room in the airport hotel.

However, we are not married. A friend who has spent some in Qatar said that this could potentially be a big problem and we would need to book separate rooms.

Has anyone flown this route in a similar circumstance that could share their experience? We are a M/F couple. I only point this out as I would imagine that a same sex couple would experience a much more difficult time in that situation.

Thanks
Scott

R.Scratcher Jul 13th 2021 5:56 am

Re: Unmarried Couple - Hotel in Qatar

Hi Scoosh,
I had exactly the same situation a couple of years ago and was so concerned that I was considering booking another room on arrival.
I asked the lady cabin crew member that was serving us, who was based in Qatar, and she assured us that the it wouldn't be a problem and that the hotel wouldn't check on our marital status let alone comment.
She was absolutely right and we had no problems.
We actually had a pleasant stay.

Scoosh Jul 13th 2021 10:48 am

Originally Posted by R.Scratcher (Post 13028702)
Hi Scoosh,
I had exactly the same situation a couple of years ago and was so concerned that I was considering booking another room on arrival.
I asked the lady cabin crew member that was serving us, who was based in Qatar, and she assured us that the it wouldn't be a problem and that the hotel wouldn't check on our marital status let alone comment.
She was absolutely right and we had no problems.
We actually had a pleasant stay.

Brilliant news, thanks for the reply!

fth Jul 13th 2021 11:17 am

Given the current flight caps to Australia, I'd be wary of booking any hotels in Qatar unless you have a fully flexible business class ticket.

If vaccinated, I'd also consider a nearby hotel outside of the airport such as the Sarq where you get some outside air and a beach.

Scoosh Jul 13th 2021 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by fth (Post 13028773)
Given the current flight caps to Australia, I'd be wary of booking any hotels in Qatar unless you have a fully flexible business class ticket.

If vaccinated, I'd also consider a nearby hotel outside of the airport such as the Sarq where you get some outside air and a beach.

Thanks fth, the booking is fully refundable until 2 days before we fly so we will play it by ear closer to the time and cancel if we need to. Figners crossed the cap on flights is increased on 31st August.

Pollyana Jul 13th 2021 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scoosh (Post 13028798)
Thanks fth, the booking is fully refundable until 2 days before we fly so we will play it by ear closer to the time and cancel if we need to. Figners crossed the cap on flights is increased on 31st August.

ScoMo has assured the terrified locals that the cap is very unlikely to be lifted at all until at least the end of the year *abd he didn't specify which year), There's no way it will happen as early as August, sorry

Scoosh Jul 13th 2021 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13028902)
ScoMo has assured the terrified locals that the cap is very unlikely to be lifted at all until at least the end of the year *abd he didn't specify which year), There's no way it will happen as early as August, sorry

Thanks Polly, I didnt really expect it to be lifted by that point but need to keep some hope. Traditional media really has done the world a deep injustice in its fight to stay relevant. Half the world is terrified. But the reasons for the cap is not important, what is important is that we get over before the end of the year to start my partner visa!

Pollyana Jul 14th 2021 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scoosh (Post 13028937)
Thanks Polly, I didnt really expect it to be lifted by that point but need to keep some hope. Traditional media really has done the world a deep injustice in its fight to stay relevant. Half the world is terrified. But the reasons for the cap is not important, what is important is that we get over before the end of the year to start my partner visa!

The reasons for the cap are a whole different and very important issue - especially for those of us who are virtually trapped here indefinitely, but I do see your point. Hope you get here in time to validate the visa, though I gather there are now ways to deal with it if you can't make the date.