British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Unmarried couple with child moving to Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/unmarried-couple-child-moving-abu-dhabi-789104/)

kimberly-fennell Mar 1st 2013 3:15 pm

Unmarried couple with child moving to Abu Dhabi

Hi im a british female, myself and my Filipino partner have both been offered jobs on Abu Dhabi and we have an 18 month old child. I am just trying to clear up what are the real problems with living together being unmarried in Abu Dhabi? I have read some threads about sharia weddings where we can marry there and it is legal but is not valid anywhere else? Is this the case if so does anyone have my advice for me please? Greatly appreciated! :) thank you :)

scot47 Mar 1st 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Unmarried couple with child moving to Abu Dhabi

You MUST be married in order to live together. You can - PERHAPS - marry after arrival, but I would tred very carefully.

Miss Anne Thrope Mar 1st 2013 5:16 pm

Sorry for being trite but it is refreshingly different to hear of a Brit female with a Filipino rather than the other way around!

hnd Mar 1st 2013 6:46 pm

You have a child together - why not get married before you move to Abu Dhabi? It's kind of intriguing why you would be interested in a Shariah marriage which you believe wouldn't be legal elsewhere.

Are both your and your partner's employer aware of the fact that you have a child together? Will you be able to get a visa for your child without a marriage certificate?

As another has said, tread very, very carefully - bureaucratic minefields abound here and they claim many casualties.

Fossildog Mar 1st 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10577598)
Sorry for being trite but it is refreshingly different to hear of a Brit female with a Filipino rather than the other way around!

You are making a huge assumption as being 'British' is now pretty meaningless in terms of defining race.

kimberly-fennell Mar 1st 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 10577818)
You have a child together - why not get married before you move to Abu Dhabi? It's kind of intriguing why you would be interested in a Shariah marriage which you believe wouldn't be legal elsewhere.

Are both your and your partner's employer aware of the fact that you have a child together? Will you be able to get a visa for your child without a marriage certificate?

As another has said, tread very, very carefully - bureaucratic minefields abound here and they claim many casualties.

we just don't really have time to get the proper wedding that we want so cont want to rush our proper wedding
Thanks

Bob Mar 1st 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by kimberly-fennell (Post 10578030)
we just don't really have time to get the proper wedding that we want so cont want to rush our proper wedding
Thanks

Registry wedding, jobs a done. Go do the ceremony whenever you fancy later and no one needs be the wiser.

kimberly-fennell Mar 1st 2013 8:29 pm

thanks think we will just get married

Millhouse Mar 2nd 2013 4:52 am

Originally Posted by kimberly-fennell (Post 10578041)
thanks think we will just get married

yup. only option - you can't sponsor the child if are not married which causes problems with schooling etc.

I hope you enjoy your day. We got married on a wintery Monday afternoon and celebrated in the local Harvester :rofl:

Kix Mar 2nd 2013 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10578038)
Registry wedding, jobs a done. Go do the ceremony whenever you fancy later and no one needs be the wiser.

Vegas Baby - just ask britishexpat....

britexpat76 Mar 2nd 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10578686)
Vegas Baby - just ask britishexpat....

Depends If they want to spend £100 in a registry office followed by Wetherspoons or paying £3k+ to do it in Vegas

Kix Mar 2nd 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10578703)
Depends If they want to spend £100 in a registry office followed by Wetherspoons or paying £3k+ to do it in Vegas

You're such a flash bastard....

busybee2 Mar 2nd 2013 8:20 am

yep you have to be married, otherwise as said you will have probs with schools visas etc, just do a cheapie at the registry office and get the piece of paper, and the sooner the better, many people have had issues too when they have got married after the event etc and especially in ad emirate, much stricter.

Jim Smith Mar 2nd 2013 11:10 am

We got married on a wintery Monday afternoon and celebrated in the local Harvester :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Like it! My first marriage was in Brixton Registry office, so family didn't see bans in Croydon!

All we wanted to do was get married without the other stuff!

Sadly it was before mobile phones and although we had told mother in law we would be around at Thursday midday to see her, she had gone out. Fortunately found her and she was able to be a witness as planned!

nonthaburi Mar 2nd 2013 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10578703)

I got married for the grand total of 1 pound .