Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Unmarried couple with baby looking to move to Dubai

Unmarried couple with baby looking to move to Dubai

Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

sambo1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsambo1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsambo1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default Unmarried couple with baby looking to move to Dubai

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. My partner is a structural engineer and we are looking into emigrating to Dubai where we believe the oppertunities to be massive to us. I have researched the laws on un-married couples and believe that discretion is the key and it doesn't have to be a problem. But I believe that my partner cannot sponser me unless we are married and as we have a 5 month old baby i will not be working myself. Do you advise that we should get married before we move? Or are there other options. Sorry theres just so much information on the internet it's confusing! Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future
Default Re: Unmarried couple with baby looking to move to Dubai

Originally Posted by sambo1986
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. My partner is a structural engineer and we are looking into emigrating to Dubai where we believe the oppertunities to be massive to us. I have researched the laws on un-married couples and believe that discretion is the key and it doesn't have to be a problem. But I believe that my partner cannot sponser me unless we are married and as we have a 5 month old baby i will not be working myself. Do you advise that we should get married before we move? Or are there other options. Sorry theres just so much information on the internet it's confusing! Thanks
I hope you aware UAE is not offering immigration. UAE visa is not so big deal because your are not going to get PR visa like OZ,canda & Australia

You can go there by work permit kind of thing. Sure there is lot of opportunities Eng works. For dependent applicant they need some proof for marriage.

http://www.shj-airport.gov.ae/visadetails.htm#sponsor this link will help you

try www.naukri.com and you can find loads of openings.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

sambo1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsambo1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsambo1986 has a spectacular aura about

Apologies totally my fault I used incorrect wording, I didnt mean we were wishing to immigrate, we are just looking into him working out there for a few years. Thanks for your reply
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Did you realise you have put this in the Australia section?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

lol I know i saw after i'm really sorry...can you tell i'm confused already
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Default Unmarried couple with baby looking to move to Dubai

Hi,

Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Apologies totally my fault I used incorrect wording, I didnt mean we were wishing to immigrate, we are just looking into him working out there for a few years. Thanks for your reply
If he get a job and work permit bringing dependent applicant to UAE is matter of 10 days - Not so much problem in it

Mostly company itself will take of that part - All you need to get a job thats only a tricky part work permit, visa everything company will handle it like Africa

Last edited by helloshivahere; Aug 24th 2009 at 1:10 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

What gives you the impression that the opportunities for a Structural Engineer in Dubai are massive. Were you not informed that the credit crunch has arguably hit the Dubai construction industry harder than anywhere in Europe. Think before you leap.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

But we would still have to be married first..correct?

It's not so much of a problem we were going to one day anyway just a bit sooner then expected
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

I am living over here (Abu Dhabi) with my girlfriend and haven't had any problems (been here 2 yrs). However we don't have any kids, I don't know what would happen if your child got sick and you took him to hospital?!

I would advise getting married as then there is no sponsorship issues and if your partner gets a decent package he would get medical cover and various other benefits for all of you. My gf managed to get sponsorship herself so we had no issues.

All this being said, at the moment Dubai (and Abu Dhabi to a certain extent) is not easy to get a job. I myself have been out of work for 4 months. A lot of the companies are now looking at recruiting lower paid people and aren't willing to pay an expat salary.

Good Luck, keep us posted
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
What gives you the impression that the opportunities for a Structural Engineer in Dubai are massive. Were you not informed that the credit crunch has arguably hit the Dubai construction industry harder than anywhere in Europe. Think before you leap.
Beat me to it! Abu Dhabi isn't hit as hard just yet.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Shadya I didn't just mean the job opportunities i just meant the whole package, the experience everything. Understand the credit crunch has hit everyone, but thats the point for us looking into it, it's bad here too we work so hard for a government that just take take take. At least in Dubai we would be working for ourselves to better our lives.
A friend of mine lives out there and she has some friends who are engineers we were talking to her and she said that Engineers were desirable and looking online there seem to be quite a few openings thats the reason we thought we could have a chance.

Thanks Chris i think you're right i think we would have to get married first, theres too many risks if we got caught and having a baby makes it worse, i wouldn't want to put him through anything.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

It really would be much easier if you got married before you moved here. It's not worth risking it when you have a child, plus your partner cannot sponsor you if you're not married, and seeing as you're not planning to work there is no way you can stay in Dubai without him sponsoring you. And even if you did decide to eventually work and get a visa, you wouldn't be able to being an unmarried mother.

Best of luck to you x
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:15 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You will encounter LOADS of problems.
I know lots of people live in sin, but normally both of them work.

The problems you will have is as an unmarried couple:

No Healthcare for you

No healthcare for your child, plus potential problems if your baby needs treatment.

With no visa, you will have to leave the country with your child every few months.

My Wife had MAJOR problems flying out as she had not changed her name in her passport.
She was basically flying home on an Oz passport with her baby who had a different surname and was on a brit passport. They accused her of being unmarried and threatend her with jail.....luckily she had her marriage certificate with her..
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

But we would still have to be married first..correct?

It's not so much of a problem we were going to one day anyway just a bit sooner then expected
The procedure for dependent visa is marriage certificate, attested by UAE embassy/consulate from India and Indian embassy/consulate in UAE, A sworn affidavit from Indian misson, labor contract, your passport, wife's passport copy etc. It will take only 1 - 2 working days to get the visa.

Meantime you can ask your proposed employer to arrange a visit visa for her. So she can also accompany with you while traveling to Dubai.

* This is applicable for INDIAN applicant hopefully for you too . So i Guess some valid marriage docs is necessary to apply. Unfortunately In India we dont have defacto kind of thing - Better just visit the UAE consulate in your place they will let you know something could be possible with Defacto relationship might be affidavit etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.