Reload this Page >

University of Sharjah

University of Sharjah

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Meelius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University of Sharjah

Hello there.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on living working in Sharjah.

I am 45 year old chap, and Ive been offered an academic post at the University of Sharjah starting Sept. The package is 20,000 a month and accomodation so this seems like quite a good deal to me.

My partner and 2 year old son will be joining me ( I hope) in a few months time, but at the moment my partner is not over keen at the moment so I am looking for advice/info that will persuade her to leave London!
That said I need to know the bad stuff too so I am all ears!

Im particularly interested in finding out more about child care etc, and also how easy/difficult will it be and the best ways to build a social life!

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance.
First post here so take it easy on me if Im out of step!

Cheers

M
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: University of Sharjah

[QUOTE=Meelius;7797750]Hello there.

First you need to consider the partner/son bit. Don't think you will get visas for them to say the least!

I am sure others will give you the full story!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Wellsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

My husband is moving to Sharjah and my 2 and half year old daughter and I are hoping to join him in November - so we are in the same boat!

We visited him in February and whist we were there we made appointments to visit nurseries - there are loads and ones that follow the british curriculum.

At the minute we are trying to decide whether to live in Sharjah or Ajman. What I have found is, there are more things to do in Ajman for little ones.

I'll follow your thread, to see what others advise!

Good luck
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:44 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meelius
Hello there.

I am 45 year old chap, and Ive been offered an academic post at the University of Sharjah starting Sept. The package is 20,000 a month and accomodation so this seems like quite a good deal to me.

My partner and 2 year old son will be joining me ( I hope) in a few months time, but at the moment my partner is not over keen at the moment so I am looking for advice/info that will persuade her to leave London!

Im particularly interested in finding out more about child care etc, and also how easy/difficult will it be and the best ways to build a social life!

Cheers

M
Do a search and read the posts on "partners" you will def not get a visa for partner and son
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:51 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there.

Cheers

M
You realise that if your partner isn't married to you then it's illegal to live together?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Do a search and read the posts on "partners" you will def not get a visa for partner and son
not a residency visa but they could come and visit if they were discreet though.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. Clearly I may have to get married or something drastic before I leave the UK!

Relationship issues aside can anyone comment on best ways into a social life -clubs to join etc, and does anyone know much about working life at University of Sharjah.

Also re. drink. its completely banned in Sharjah? But not in Dubai?

Excuse my ignorance again..

Thanks

M
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:29 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. Clearly I may have to get married or something drastic before I leave the UK!

Relationship issues aside can anyone comment on best ways into a social life -clubs to join etc, and does anyone know much about working life at University of Sharjah.

Thanks

M
Dubai is near enough Sharjah, 30-40 mins or so but don't go back drunk just in case, Sharjah is a real shithole, the desert with loads of strict muslims, I bloody hate it.

You could of course get somewhere to live in Dubai and travel to Sharjah for work, that might work mate, but on 20k a month a place for you and the missus and kid may be a bit of a squeeze I'm afraid.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

M
do a search on Sharjah Wanderers Club - serves alcohol and bacon sandwiches!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks! Why a shit hole?

My salary is 20k plus accomodation allowance - so presumably I could do the live in Dubai/drive to work option?

I believe rents in Dubai are more expensive though?

M
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Thanks! Why a shit hole?

My salary is 20k plus accomodation allowance - so presumably I could do the live in Dubai/drive to work option?

M
Dubai rents are miles more expensive, it's just shit, nothing much to do, bad traffic, not much going on.

Have a search into it.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:53 am
Concierge

Thanks! Why a shit hole?

M
how much accom allowance are you getting? you could look at Mirdiff and Mizhar
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:48 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
do a search on Sharjah Wanderers Club - serves alcohol and bacon sandwiches!
Eew... Alcohol and bacon on a sandwich?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Eew... Alcohol and bacon on a sandwich?
like my favourite vodka jelly
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

bedarwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Meelius

I work at the University of Sharjah - if you PM me I can tell you most of what you might need to know.

Re: accommodation - whilst there is in the contract an idea that you can have an allowance rather than on campus accommodation, it is very rare that you will ever get it. The accommodation on campus is good and you only have 5 minute drive to work rather than over 1 hour driving - even from the centre of Sharjah (as traffic is so bad in the morning rush hour).

Which college are you going to be working at? And which subject?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.