British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Universities and schools in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/universities-schools-dubai-641407/)

debc_berg Nov 20th 2009 11:43 am

Universities and schools in Dubai

Hi - I'm hoping someone can advised me on eductaion in Dubai for my teenage sons.

My husband is already in Dubai working and we plan to move there next summer. I have two teenage boys one who will sit standard grades & one how will be sitting advanced highers next summer.

I need to find a great school for the younger one where he can study for highers/A levels - long term he wants to go to uni and study to be software developer so not sure if there are some schools better than others that will have a wide ranging curriculm that ensures he does takes relevant subjects.

Also have an older teenager who wants to go to uni after next summer to study marine biology - his preferance would be to stay in Scotland and go to uni here but we'd like to look at the options available to him in Dubai and I'm struggling to know where to find the relevant course.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Debra

Victor Meldrew Nov 20th 2009 9:54 pm

Re: Universities and schools in Dubai

Originally Posted by debc_berg (Post 8112452)
Hi - I'm hoping someone can advised me on eductaion in Dubai for my teenage sons.

My husband is already in Dubai working and we plan to move there next summer. I have two teenage boys one who will sit standard grades & one how will be sitting advanced highers next summer.

I need to find a great school for the younger one where he can study for highers/A levels - long term he wants to go to uni and study to be software developer so not sure if there are some schools better than others that will have a wide ranging curriculm that ensures he does takes relevant subjects.

Also have an older teenager who wants to go to uni after next summer to study marine biology - his preferance would be to stay in Scotland and go to uni here but we'd like to look at the options available to him in Dubai and I'm struggling to know where to find the relevant course.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Debra

Main choice for Secondary school in Dubai is Dubai College. However it has strict entrance tests which have to be passed first, followed by a wait for a vacancy/going on the waiting list.

Dubai English Speaking College (DESC) is the secondary school to Dubai English Speaking School (DESS) one of the most popular primary schools in Dubai. It has only been opened for about 3 years and has done exprememly well in the latest KHDA inspections (Good with outstanding features).

English College is also good, excellent Headteacher and Senior Management. Has a nice feel about it and staff are happy in their job which is always a good sign.

Jumeirah College is run by GEMS. You might want to take a look at this.

Also Kings Dubai which is the only British Curriculum school in Dubai to get an overall rating of 'outstanding'.

Most other secondary, British curriuculum schools in Dubai aren't worth looking at

Universities are only just setting up in Dubai so really very much an unknown quantity. If you are thinking of sending your son to University in UK, check whether you have to pay higher fees if your son is classed as 'non - resident' in UK. I know there are some rules about this. If you're Scottish and want him to go to Uni in Scotland, again check on this as (I'm sure you realise) this would normally be free to you/your son.

Check the Moving Back to the UK forum as I believe there have been previous threads about returning to UK for Uni.

Nic1 Nov 21st 2009 2:23 am

Have looked into non-EU residence fees for uni. Scotland apparently doesn't apply this rule - so any Scottish unis will charge standard fees. In UK howver the student has to have been resident in UK for the three years prior to attending. However, if you can show he had to be out of the country due to his fathers work you will get standard fees charged. This needs to be a letter from the company saying they posted his father overseas for work.

There are a few other threads on this if you do a search.

Personally I wouldn't send my child to uni in Dubai.

N

Madam Medusa Nov 21st 2009 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 8114230)
Have looked into non-EU residence fees for uni. Scotland apparently doesn't apply this rule - so any Scottish unis will charge standard fees. In UK howver the student has to have been resident in UK for the three years prior to attending. However, if you can show he had to be out of the country due to his fathers work you will get standard fees charged. This needs to be a letter from the company saying they posted his father overseas for work.

There are a few other threads on this if you do a search.

Personally I wouldn't send my child to uni in Dubai.

N

not all the unis here are bad...heriot-watt dubai campus has exactly the same curriculum as the scottish campus, and exams are marked in the uk so students are judged against their uk peers (so standards remain high)...however, it doesn't yet offer the full range of courses that it does in scotland, although it is expanding...

MM, xx

Ethos83 Nov 21st 2009 5:16 am

You forgot JESS, which is possibly the most difficult Brit school to gain entry in Dubai.

Kings only has the sole outstanding because it is the only school to meet the local authorities' vague requirements for Arabic instruction. Several other schools (JESS, Dubai College, Emirati International etc are in reality just as good).

Unis in Dubai aren't worth it. Stay in the UK.

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8113832)
Main choice for Secondary school in Dubai is Dubai College. However it has strict entrance tests which have to be passed first, followed by a wait for a vacancy/going on the waiting list.

Dubai English Speaking College (DESC) is the secondary school to Dubai English Speaking School (DESS) one of the most popular primary schools in Dubai. It has only been opened for about 3 years and has done exprememly well in the latest KHDA inspections (Good with outstanding features).

English College is also good, excellent Headteacher and Senior Management. Has a nice feel about it and staff are happy in their job which is always a good sign.

Jumeirah College is run by GEMS. You might want to take a look at this.

Also Kings Dubai which is the only British Curriculum school in Dubai to get an overall rating of 'outstanding'.

Most other secondary, British curriuculum schools in Dubai aren't worth looking at

Universities are only just setting up in Dubai so really very much an unknown quantity. If you are thinking of sending your son to University in UK, check whether you have to pay higher fees if your son is classed as 'non - resident' in UK. I know there are some rules about this. If you're Scottish and want him to go to Uni in Scotland, again check on this as (I'm sure you realise) this would normally be free to you/your son.

Check the Moving Back to the UK forum as I believe there have been previous threads about returning to UK for Uni.

Victor Meldrew Nov 21st 2009 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8114380)
You forgot JESS, which is possibly the most difficult Brit school to gain entry in Dubai.

Kings only has the sole outstanding because it is the only school to meet the local authorities' vague requirements for Arabic instruction. Several other schools (JESS, Dubai College, Emirati International etc are in reality just as good).

Unis in Dubai aren't worth it. Stay in the UK.

Yes of course, I forgot JESS Ranches. Good resources, which they share with the primary section. Have to disagree regards most difficult secondary to get into, that has to be Dubai College.

Yes again the only real dividing factor between those getting 'outstanding' and 'good with outstanding features' is the standard of Arabic teaching. The reports for DESC had virtually every aspect 'outstanding' apart from Arabic which was rated 'good'. Without the 'outstanding' label for Arabic a school can not be given an overall rating of 'outstanding'. Ridiculous I say.

Surprised to see you includes Emirates International School. Definitely not in the same league as the others.

Fairydust Nov 21st 2009 10:37 am

Jess Ranches and Emirates International along with Wellington International are IB for 6th form, best stick to the ones VM listed in his post if you want A level.

Ethos83 Nov 21st 2009 5:24 pm

True. Emirates isn't in the top tier as Jess or Dubai College, but it's still a decent school, and more importantly perhaps, easier to get a place.

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8114480)
Yes of course, I forgot JESS Ranches. Good resources, which they share with the primary section. Have to disagree regards most difficult secondary to get into, that has to be Dubai College.

Yes again the only real dividing factor between those getting 'outstanding' and 'good with outstanding features' is the standard of Arabic teaching. The reports for DESC had virtually every aspect 'outstanding' apart from Arabic which was rated 'good'. Without the 'outstanding' label for Arabic a school can not be given an overall rating of 'outstanding'. Ridiculous I say.

Surprised to see you includes Emirates International School. Definitely not in the same league as the others.