British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Unemployed and Stuck in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/unemployed-stuck-dubai-618814/)

NJ123 Jul 7th 2009 12:18 pm

Unemployed and Stuck in Dubai

Unfortunately 2 months ago I was made redundant from my job in construction and have been doing nothing ever since. I have tried to secure suitable work but to no avail - the market appears to be drying up big time. Fortunately my wife works and can support us, just. Due to the tax situation, having not been here a full tax year, going home is not really an option.

With mind and sanity starting to fade I'm wondering what I can productively do with my time whilst waiting for something to break?

Sensible suggestions please.

Blue Cat Jul 7th 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Unemployed and Stuck in Dubai

Originally Posted by NJ123 (Post 7731011)
Unfortunately 2 months ago I was made redundant from my job in construction and have been doing nothing ever since. I have tried to secure suitable work but to no avail - the market appears to be drying up big time. Fortunately my wife works and can support us, just. Due to the tax situation, having not been here a full tax year, going home is not really an option.

With mind and sanity starting to fade I'm wondering what I can productively do with my time whilst waiting for something to break?

I sympathis with you totally. I don't work and am bored senseless at this point in time. There are only so many malls you can walk round getting even more bored. Hence I 'talk' to complete strangers on here!! I read and cook. Cooking is a good way to pass time, experiment with recipes etc for the wifey coming in!

Good luck

Cry haddock Jul 7th 2009 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7731015)
I sympathis with you totally. I don't work and am bored senseless at this point in time. There are only so many malls you can walk round getting even more bored. Hence I 'talk' to complete strangers on here!! I read and cook. Cooking is a good way to pass time, experiment with recipes etc for the wifey coming in!

Good luck

Arabic course?

chococat Jul 7th 2009 1:21 pm

I was made redundant 3 months ago and was also in construction and the job hunt is not going so well. I am also stuck here due to my husbands job and I am starting to climb the walls!
I have found that most courses do not run over summer but they all start up again in September so beginners arabic here I come.
To pass the time I am snowboarding a lot and I also volunteer for an environmental ngo.
Good luck with the job hunt.

Blue Cat Jul 7th 2009 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by chococat (Post 7731213)
I was made redundant 3 months ago and was also in construction and the job hunt is not going so well. I am also stuck here due to my husbands job and I am starting to climb the walls!
I have found that most courses do not run over summer but they all start up again in September so beginners arabic here I come.
To pass the time I am snowboarding a lot and I also volunteer for an environmental ngo.
Good luck with the job hunt.

there are art classes running through the summer at Mall of the Emirates.

NJ123 Jul 8th 2009 4:03 am

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I think a visit to the book shop my be in order. I might also attempt snowboarding again (tried before and fell my a*se a lot) as I am not far from Mall of the Emirates.

Robbies Jul 8th 2009 4:08 am

is there any training you could do, or a short certification/post grad course you could enroll in?

Do you play golf? The clubs have their summer swing promotions on so you could get a game of golf every day

IndieG Jul 8th 2009 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7731015)
Cooking is a good way to pass time,
Good luck

Yep, good idea, did the same. My cooking skills were rusty and took the opportunity to brush up on my skills! My cook went on a holiday for three weeks around the same time and I took over (and considering I'd have to do this all myself in Melbourne - the practise came in handy!)

Good luck to the OP.....

lionheart Jul 8th 2009 5:35 am

Starting from today, you can watch the Ashes Cricket Series live on Showtime Sports 2 lucky thing...weather permitting of course.

Blue Cat Jul 8th 2009 5:49 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7733227)
Starting from today, you can watch the Ashes Cricket Series live on Showtime Sports 2 lucky thing...weather permitting of course.

is the OP not down enough and bored?

NJ123 Jul 8th 2009 5:58 am

Sorry cricket is not my thing. Actually I think it would depress me even further.

Blue Cat Jul 8th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by NJ123 (Post 7733268)
Sorry cricket is not my thing. Actually I think it would depress me even further.

yeah that's what I said!!

Kpax Jul 8th 2009 4:25 pm

i was unemployed since the start of this year for 5 months after having onlymoved to dubai last year june, real pain and frustrating. i only started in june again after a long almost "human gestation period". truth be told there is only so much that can keep u sane in this place if u are out of a job and am sure u already done it all, so cross ur fingers and set deadlines of when u shall just have to bugger off, then hunt as good as u can for a job.
GOOD LUCK!

grapefruit Jul 10th 2009 1:34 pm

Do some industry related study that will look constructive on a CV. "Studying for Construction Safety Diploma" looks much better than "Unemployed" when you're looking for your next job.

Open University courses for example. Or a Distance Learning course that you can continue if/when you do find a job.

BethPageBlack Jul 11th 2009 3:08 am

Fortunately my wife works and can support us, just. Due to the tax situation, having not been here a full tax year, going home is not really an option.

Dude...You got it made, you're young, you're not working, you have an excuse, and your wife is out of the house 8-12 hours a day. What in the world do you have to complain about!? And forget the art class at the mall, arabic courses, or visits to the book shop. Is that what you really want to do with your life? Find a card game, go out to the track, hang out at the golf club, play chess down at the beach, or get an X-Box, whatever! Anythings better than working. It never ceases to amaze me how people get so attached to their mind numbing, life sucking, meaningless, soul crushing jobs.