Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Umm Al Quwain to close down all bars - the death of Barracuda?

Umm Al Quwain to close down all bars - the death of Barracuda?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:17 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Umm Al Quwain to close down all bars - the death of Barracuda?

From Khaleej Times

More than 25 nightclubs, which serve liquor and entertain guests with live music and dance performances, will be shut down across the emirate.

Dance performances, loud music and DJs have been banned. But companies and people in groups can hold lunch and dinner parties with prior permission, provided that no music is played. Such gatherings must, however, split by 12 midnight.

If a man is accompanied by a woman, they should produce a document to prove their legal relationship.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

Getting more hardline or just had enough?

Barracuda no more?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:47 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Umm Al Quwain to close down all bars - the death of Barracuda?

No music? What about the polka?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
From Khaleej Times

More than 25 nightclubs, which serve liquor and entertain guests with live music and dance performances, will be shut down across the emirate.

Dance performances, loud music and DJs have been banned. But companies and people in groups can hold lunch and dinner parties with prior permission, provided that no music is played. Such gatherings must, however, split by 12 midnight.

If a man is accompanied by a woman, they should produce a document to prove their legal relationship.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

Getting more hardline or just had enough?

Barracuda no more?
Methinks that UAQ must have taken some Saudi shillings. The next one along is the MMI in RAK, just past Al Hamra Village - about 10 mins beyond the 'cuda. We spoke to Baracuda last week on this and they claimed it was business as usual for the long term, but who knows.
CH
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:26 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock View Post
Methinks that UAQ must have taken some Saudi shillings. The next one along is the MMI in RAK, just past Al Hamra Village - about 10 mins beyond the 'cuda. We spoke to Baracuda last week on this and they claimed it was business as usual for the long term, but who knows.
CH
I think you may be right fella - sounds like the 'cuda may have survived...

However, the liquor store at Barracuda Beach Resort has clarified that they have not been asked to close down.

http://www.kippreport.com/kipp/2009/...-and-drinking/
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:32 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
I think you may be right fella - sounds like the 'cuda may have survived...

However, the liquor store at Barracuda Beach Resort has clarified that they have not been asked to close down.

http://www.kippreport.com/kipp/2009/...-and-drinking/

yes I agree, some Saudi financial injection has taken place
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt worry about barracuda, last i heard it was part owned by the very man who has asked everyone else to shut down. Methinks he doesnt like the competition, cutting into his profits too much by the sounds of it
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
i wouldnt worry about barracuda, last i heard it was part owned by the very man who has asked everyone else to shut down. Methinks he doesnt like the competition, cutting into his profits too much by the sounds of it
I think they are cleaning up their act, let's face it is like Brothel HQ over there
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:46 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I think they are cleaning up their act, let's face it is like Brothel HQ over there
I've never seen anything but booze in 'Cuda. Are you telling me I'm missing soemthing?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

how on earth would you know ? xx
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by banter64 View Post
how on earth would you know ? xx
everyone knows don't they
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I was in UAQ BEach Hotel for 4 nights last week and no late night telephone calls or knock on the door!!

Damn!!