Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

Originally Posted by vleginsky
Hi, and thanks for the information. Where in Dammam does one go to get the Istimara? I will be coming in from Al Ahsa so I'd like to know where I head once I hit the big city!
Istemara's (vehicle transfer of ownership) are usually done by the local traffic police, but no idea where that is in Dhahran.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

vleginsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Istemara's (vehicle transfer of ownership) are usually done by the local traffic police, but no idea where that is in Dhahran.
Thanks. I shall grab the first gendarme I see and ask. Cheers.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Maid-Marion is an unknown quantity at this point

Love this thread, was well worth trawling through 8 pages for
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Britwife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
My husband picks up his work visa tomorrow from the London Embassy.
I've read on here after 2 weeks he can apply for his Iqama. How long will it take for him to be given it? I know the rest of us can't follow him 'til he gets it and I haven't been able to find out just how long that takes.
Thanks

Britwife
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britwife
Hi Everyone,
My husband picks up his work visa tomorrow from the London Embassy.
I've read on here after 2 weeks he can apply for his Iqama. How long will it take for him to be given it? I know the rest of us can't follow him 'til he gets it and I haven't been able to find out just how long that takes.
Thanks

Britwife
For "iqama", read "piece of string"...............

Really difficult to answer - it may depend on how much prep work the employer has already done, how 'in order' his paperwork is (warning: there is ALWAYS a request for the one piece of paper you don't have), etc.

Good luck.............
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank You for that.
Aah, the Middle East way of doing things! You'd think I'd be used to it by now. I was hoping it would be better than Bahrain, oh well.

Britwife
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britwife
Thank You for that.
Aah, the Middle East way of doing things! You'd think I'd be used to it by now. I was hoping it would be better than Bahrain, oh well.

Britwife
I'm in Bahrain these days.......... I'd always assumed the delays in getting things done here were due to the incompetence of my HR department, but you seem to be saying it's government bureaucracy - I should have known I suppose........
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

The trouble is, you never know exactly who is the incompetent one.
When we first came here, it 16 weeks to get our CPR cards etc. But when our new passports came it took 3 hours at immigration to get our visas transferred.
Maybes they were having a slow day that day and we hit on.

Britwife