Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ultimate Guide To Saudi Life

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
It is hard, especially with all the shopping on topof it...but,well, somebody has to do it
hahahaha...still glad it's not me...

MM, xx
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us actually go out to work . . .

Nic1
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
Some of us actually go out to work . . .

Nic1
Yes, I used to work a full time job in Saudi for 2 years.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Bolero is an unknown quantity at this point

First came to the Magic Kingdom back in 91 through 95, when the rules were a lot tougher and the muttawa certainly were, though there was a brief respite during the war when they seemed to vanish from the streets. Sometimes I miss the atmosphere of those days, Riyadh was major party town back then The Holzman compound especially not forgetting the BAE compounds, and even getting arrested was not that bad, I was 4 times, on the National Guard Hospital compound, in the wrong quarters. The last time the captain told me that I should have parked my car by the married quarters for the night. One thing I did notice on my return the price of Black Label has remained constant, unless of course you buy the case. The compound I'm on is going through a major building phase looks like 20 new villas being built.

I tried living off compound for a year, actually living in an apartment block with single women in as well as families, but compound life is much more relaxing.

I'd say that life here is what you make of it, you can confine yourself to the compound if you like, but you'd be missing out on a lot and the saudis are very gracious hosts and treat you not as a friend but as their brother, I've got some wonderful friends who have shown me a whole other side of the place, even to having snowball fights down south

as far as eating goes, Mama Nouras is a great place for food any time of the day, and for those that like Indian food I have found that the tiny places where the workers go do amazing food and so cheap, SR7 for a meal that is not only good but filling, in short pass on the fancy places give your taste buds a treat and your wallet a rest
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bolero
First came to the Magic Kingdom back in 91 through 95, when the rules were a lot tougher and the muttawa certainly were, though there was a brief respite during the war when they seemed to vanish from the streets. Sometimes I miss the atmosphere of those days, Riyadh was major party town back then The Holzman compound especially not forgetting the BAE compounds, and even getting arrested was not that bad, I was 4 times, on the National Guard Hospital compound, in the wrong quarters. The last time the captain told me that I should have parked my car by the married quarters for the night. One thing I did notice on my return the price of Black Label has remained constant, unless of course you buy the case. The compound I'm on is going through a major building phase looks like 20 new villas being built.

I tried living off compound for a year, actually living in an apartment block with single women in as well as families, but compound life is much more relaxing.

I'd say that life here is what you make of it, you can confine yourself to the compound if you like, but you'd be missing out on a lot and the saudis are very gracious hosts and treat you not as a friend but as their brother, I've got some wonderful friends who have shown me a whole other side of the place, even to having snowball fights down south

as far as eating goes, Mama Nouras is a great place for food any time of the day, and for those that like Indian food I have found that the tiny places where the workers go do amazing food and so cheap, SR7 for a meal that is not only good but filling, in short pass on the fancy places give your taste buds a treat and your wallet a rest
Well said - agree with every word.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Hi
I have just been offered a posting in Riyadh with a major bank. With all the compounds having waiting lists etc, I need some help.
Bolero-you mentioned they are building new villas? Which compound are you on and would you be kind enough to find out more detail/contact?
I'll be coming across in May if all goes well.
Dean-any assistance your side perhaps? Still awainting your pm on Noor

Thanks All
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Neena is an unknown quantity at this point

this is so sickk! u no for a non-arab u got the saudi life bangg on!
k b4 i start blabbing on i shud probly tellu a bit about myself
im a brown girl from arab land living in white land
haha ok that sry that was gay
..ok, so im originally indian but i was born and brought up in saudi arabia and i moved to canada when i was ten, but i still go to saudi every summer (except 1)
so basically i got home from work and i felt reallly homesick so i went on the internet and typed up saudi lifestyle not really expectng anything cuz like thers like nothing about ksa on the web but i strolled upon this and i was like sickk i love thiss!

so yeah being a saudi lover (like actual real saudi culture and not those rich ass saudi/white wannabe's who try hard to talk in english but sound like morons instead) sry, not trying to b racist or anything but seriously those ppl need to learn the value of their culture!

but seriously being white in saudi makes u like the supreme one, cuz ppl ther just go gaga over white ppl, they dont admit it, but they do,

like when i went back to saudi once and i was lined up for the ice rink (on ladies day in an amusement park) and when i was talking in brown with my cousins sum of the girls gave me dirty looks (party cuz they told me to shut up cuz she got a headache and instead i just talked even louder) but when i started talking in english they were like woah..she sounds whitish...
yeah that wuz my turn to give them attitude lol

but no seriously the ppl ther r like soo racist, they think they're like the coolest things on earth - umm helloo! the world thinks ur a terrorist brewing pot!

- speaking of which, hav u heard of the movie called the kingdom? yeah it is soo not true, trust me, being a saudi brown kid, i no
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Neena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bolero

yo u shud try out tgi fridays - i lovve it!
ooh and if u want good indian cuisine - sheezan is the place, like even all the arabs go ther!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

spacecamel is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously , I don t understand a thing about you re saying. so saudi is good or not?

Spacecamel
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

It's the bollywood Vicky Pollard
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
It's the bollywood Vicky Pollard
hahahaha...i think she's kinda sweet, i am considering adopting her...

MM, xx
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hahahaha...i think she's kinda sweet, i am considering adopting her...

MM, xx
Actually I think I should take personal responsibility for her welfare...........
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

outtatouch is an unknown quantity at this point

dean, i find your avatars quite amusing. who is the lady of the day?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:49 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neena
this is so sickk! u no for a non-arab u got the saudi life bangg on!
k b4 i start blabbing on i shud probly tellu a bit about myself
im a brown girl from arab land living in white land
haha ok that sry that was gay
..ok, so im originally indian but i was born and brought up in saudi arabia and i moved to canada when i was ten, but i still go to saudi every summer (except 1)
so basically i got home from work and i felt reallly homesick so i went on the internet and typed up saudi lifestyle not really expectng anything cuz like thers like nothing about ksa on the web but i strolled upon this and i was like sickk i love thiss!

so yeah being a saudi lover (like actual real saudi culture and not those rich ass saudi/white wannabe's who try hard to talk in english but sound like morons instead) sry, not trying to b racist or anything but seriously those ppl need to learn the value of their culture!

but seriously being white in saudi makes u like the supreme one, cuz ppl ther just go gaga over white ppl, they dont admit it, but they do,

like when i went back to saudi once and i was lined up for the ice rink (on ladies day in an amusement park) and when i was talking in brown with my cousins sum of the girls gave me dirty looks (party cuz they told me to shut up cuz she got a headache and instead i just talked even louder) but when i started talking in english they were like woah..she sounds whitish...
yeah that wuz my turn to give them attitude lol

but no seriously the ppl ther r like soo racist, they think they're like the coolest things on earth - umm helloo! the world thinks ur a terrorist brewing pot!

- speaking of which, hav u heard of the movie called the kingdom? yeah it is soo not true, trust me, being a saudi brown kid, i no
I know white people that have been spat on there by arabs - so it is not all plain sailing just because one may have fair skin. that said I do know it is far more racist than Dubai

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.