UK tax return?

Old Jun 1st 2018, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK tax return?

I currently reside in Saudi and am non-resident for UK tax purposes, so don't need to complete an annual tax form. If I now claim my UK state pension for a UK bank account, will I continue to avoid receiving the yearly UK tax return?
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax return?

Being non resident does not exempt you from filing a tax return. Not having income arising in the uk does.

Claiming a pension means you have income arising in the uk. However, as you are non resident this should not be taxed at source. I’m assuming you have documentation from HMRC stating they regard you as non resident otherwise they will deduct tax until you formalise your status.

If your pension income is sizable ie more than your personal allowance you may need to inform HMRC of this in lieu of filing a self assessment. You need to have them agree that you do not need to file though. They may require you to depending on your circumstances.

Note that your pension won’t be index linked if you claim it while in Saudi.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:46 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are sent a UK tax form you need to fill it in.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. Your circumstances could have changed in the last year and they could be automatically sending you a return that is not needed. Calling them to confirm is the best option if in doubt. But then if they say no I’d cover myself by. Following it up with a letter saying something like “as agreed in our recent phone call with [agent’s name] I will not need to file a return for [tax year]”
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 11:48 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
Not necessarily. Your circumstances could have changed in the last year and they could be automatically sending you a return that is not needed. Calling them to confirm is the best option if in doubt. But then if they say no I’d cover myself by. Following it up with a letter saying something like “as agreed in our recent phone call with [agent’s name] I will not need to file a return for [tax year]”
As sicklyman says, except that when I phoned HMRC, I logged the date and time of the call and the name of the agent and asked them to send a letter confirming that, as long as my financial circumstances remained unchanged, I was no longer required to file a tax return. The letter arrived within a fortnight.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I've been through this several times. I've been in the Gulf for 7+ years, and get a small ex-military pension, and despite twice asking HMRC in writing if I could stop submitting tax returns, they still say I need to keep doing so (we don't even have property in the UK, or any other meaningful income). Last request was a few months ago, same response.
I make them send me a paper return, and just copy in the same details from a photocopy of the previous year's version updated as needed - takes 20 minutes, then gets posted when back in the UK on summer holidays. They usually end up giving me few pounds back in return for overpaid tax, but it is such a waste of their and my time for all that.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:27 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

If living abroad the forms said ''how many days have you spent in UK?'' with all the other usual details etc. or some such - regardless of whether or not you had any UK sourced income or Capital Gains. They sent the forms out for six years then they asked -''Are you staying out of UK permanently?'' They then stopped sending the forms - if they were satisfied.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Tax.... whats that?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

It’s what you pay every time you buy something in Dubai.