British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK to Riyadh salary advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-riyadh-salary-advice-916618/)

Me 2.0 Sep 7th 2018 11:18 am

Re: UK to Riyadh salary advice

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12559816)
but as others have said, there are so many other factors to compare that you shouldn't just be looking at the money.

And presumably different companies have different practices that may or may not change over time, and with the individual. How much they like that person, or need that person. You could go on forever about variables.

money saved is more important than money offered, and living conditions etc too.

Thanks but my question was about money.

Gobobo Sep 8th 2018 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12559339)
What's Jubail like as a location? I see on google maps that it's only 2 hours' drive from Bahrain. Asking for a friend...

It was a bit of an uninspiring dump, when I visited a mate there in 2008. I didn't see bad pollution, just a really drab, boring environment. Also even Khobar isn't 2 hours from Bahrain on a Thursday night, the causeway is chock-a-block until the early hours of Friday morning.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2018 5:25 am

Originally Posted by omega7 (Post 12559383)
I can see the logic of people who have settled in ksa, especially in eastern province close to bahrain, who wouldnt be ready to have a pay cut to move to Dubai. After all, any such cut would only get worse when living expenses were factored in.

But is there truly someone who would go to ksa JUST for the 10% rise (i.e everything else being equal)? I cant think of anyone...again on the understanding that the sole driver is the pay rise.

I promise you I'm not making it up. I think that might make you believe it happens.

I know people who've moved to KSA for the same money, because they want to remain earning the tax free money. 50k in Dubai or 50k in Jeddah, I know where I'd save more money. So in reality, like Millhouse said, if costs are 10% lower (for example) then moving for the same is a 10% real gain.

Originally Posted by Me 2.0 (Post 12559850)
Thanks but my question was about money.

Ask for 100% more, see what happens. They might be blown away by your politeness, manners and appreciation or understanding of answers that aren't the ones you want.

Me 2.0 Sep 9th 2018 10:37 am

That’s one piece of advice I’ll be ignoring.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Me 2.0 (Post 12560624)
That’s one piece of advice I’ll be ignoring.

"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it"

Me 2.0 Sep 9th 2018 12:53 pm

That’s another.