British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK to Riyadh salary advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-riyadh-salary-advice-916618/)

Me 2.0 Sep 6th 2018 9:33 am

Re: UK to Riyadh salary advice

Seems there’s no rule then. Or if there is then no one knows what it is.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 6th 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Me 2.0 (Post 12559294)

Depends, there are 'rules of thumb' but you're asking on the internet where everyone pretends to be really important and says "I wouldn't even say Saudi Arabia unless I was given 50% more money" and all that shit, when in reality, a lot would go if it meant remaining employed in a tax free environment.

Every situation, industry, position and person provides multiple paths to go down.

Unless I knew a lot more about your situation I wouldn't want to tell you what to expect to go to KSA. I can tell you that I know we'll pay about 10% premium....that's as helpful as anyone can be I think.

Millhouse Sep 6th 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Me 2.0 (Post 12559294)

why would there be a rule?

I know people who earn less in KSA vs UAE for the same job... cost of living is much lower and they save more. It's all about the bottom line.

Me 2.0 Sep 6th 2018 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12559300)
why would there be a rule?

I know people who earn less in KSA vs UAE for the same job... cost of living is much lower and they save more. It's all about the bottom line.

I didn’t say there would be a rule. I asked whether there is one.

littlejimmy Sep 6th 2018 11:53 am

What's Jubail like as a location? I see on google maps that it's only 2 hours' drive from Bahrain. Asking for a friend...

omega7 Sep 6th 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12559240)
Every sector and business is different but we're not paying much more than 10%. More often it's a case of, do you want to continue to be employed?

When Dubai is flooded with opportunities the number will increase. When things are slow like they are now, the uplift plummets.

I see lots of people move for the same money.

I also see lots of people coming from KSA to Dubai and not wanting to accept a pay cut of 10%+.....the very same people who demand shit loads more to go to KSA in the first place. :rofl:

I can see the logic of people who have settled in ksa, especially in eastern province close to bahrain, who wouldnt be ready to have a pay cut to move to Dubai. After all, any such cut would only get worse when living expenses were factored in.

But is there truly someone who would go to ksa JUST for the 10% rise (i.e everything else being equal)? I cant think of anyone...again on the understanding that the sole driver is the pay rise.

Re the OP...irrespective of the location, changing jobs for just 10% makes little sense (again assuming that the next job is perceived to be equally attractive with the current). This is because the current job has a factual value that you know for certain, whereas the new job's value can only be perceived. And you can get it wrong. So for 10%, why risk it?

So 10% doesnt sound as a reasonable incentive to begin with, even for the same location. If one factors in the location basis, then inevitably the premium should be higher (my thinking at least, and others might feel otherwise).

omega7 Sep 6th 2018 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12559339)
What's Jubail like as a location? I see on google maps that it's only 2 hours' drive from Bahrain. Asking for a friend...

Terrible location, and the 2h drive that you saw is misleading...it could easily take 3 to 4 hours from Jubail, precisely around the times/days that your friend would want to visit bahrain.

littlejimmy Sep 6th 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by omega7 (Post 12559385)
Terrible location, and the 2h drive that you saw is misleading...it could easily take 3 to 4 hours from Jubail, precisely around the times/days that your friend would want to visit bahrain.

OK, thanks. What is so terrible about it? I've heard it's quite a polluted place.

omega7 Sep 6th 2018 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12559407)
OK, thanks. What is so terrible about it? I've heard it's quite a polluted place.

pollution is key...it is also far away from khobar, let alone bahrain, and lacks real diversity in its crowd. Now are there worse places in ksa...? I guess. But it is not a place one goes for a 10% salary increase.

nonthaburi Sep 6th 2018 7:27 pm

Worth mentioning but IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!
I'm fairly sure from time spent here that people in UAE work way harder and for far longer hours.

​​​​​​Personally speaking, I have:
a one minute drive to work
sign in at 7am and leave at 12:45pm....every day
three day weekend every four weeks
three weeks for Ramadan
two for the other Eid
plus my thirty days
normally get another bonus few weeks given extra.
live next door to the airport, ten minute walk to check-in

I'm an extreme example, but personally I'd want more cash to go the other way to compensate me for all the stuff I'd be giving up.

Me 2.0 Sep 7th 2018 1:59 am

You’re cabin crew?

omega7 Sep 7th 2018 3:41 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12559558)
Worth mentioning but IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!
I'm fairly sure from time spent here that people in UAE work way harder and for far longer hours.

​​​​​​Personally speaking, I have:
a one minute drive to work
sign in at 7am and leave at 12:45pm....every day
three day weekend every four weeks
three weeks for Ramadan
two for the other Eid
plus my thirty days
normally get another bonus few weeks given extra.
live next door to the airport, ten minute walk to check-in

I'm an extreme example, but personally I'd want more cash to go the other way to compensate me for all the stuff I'd be giving up.

Which is why it was empasized that these uplifts can only apply for a like to like job (which of course is arbitrary as such qualification isnt really possible).

So of course it is not just about the money but the OP was focused on trading off location for an uplift. If you add more criteria then you cant really consult a forum as it becomes more of a personal choice and less of a data-driven decision, and in such case concrete advice cannot be offered through a brief text, bur rather through a friendly chat.

nonthaburi Sep 7th 2018 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Me 2.0 (Post 12559694)
You’re cabin crew?

errr no.

nonthaburi Sep 7th 2018 4:29 am

Originally Posted by omega7 (Post 12559719)
Which is why it was empasized that these uplifts can only apply for a like to like job (which of course is arbitrary as such qualification isnt really possible).

So of course it is not just about the money but the OP was focused on trading off location for an uplift. If you add more criteria then you cant really consult a forum as it becomes more of a personal choice and less of a data-driven decision, and in such case concrete advice cannot be offered through a brief text, bur rather through a friendly chat.

which kind of makes the whole thing pointless.

weasel decentral Sep 7th 2018 4:38 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12559723)
errr no.

No shame in wheeling a trolley at 30,000 feet mate :)