Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK to Riyadh salary advice

UK to Riyadh salary advice

Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Me 2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Riyadh salary advice

Don’t think there’s anything pointless in asking whether doing a particular job in Riyadh would command an X% premium to doing the same job in Dubai.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:17 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Me 2.0
Don’t think there’s anything pointless in asking whether doing a particular job in Riyadh would command an X% premium to doing the same job in Dubai.
So what is the particular job?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

I’d rather not give details but in London terms it pays in the hundreds of thousands.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I’d rather not give details but in London terms it pays in the hundreds of thousands.
The job field or the role description, not the actual company name or title. I'm assuming a certain level of intelligence is required for the job?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Yes, a certain level.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:21 am
Knee deep and rising

Yes, a certain level.
Would you say a level 30% higher if employed in KSA?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Would you say a level 30% higher if employed in KSA?
Well that depends if others are getting that 😁
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Worth mentioning but IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!
I'm fairly sure from time spent here that people in UAE work way harder and for far longer hours.

​​​​​​Personally speaking, I have:
a one minute drive to work
sign in at 7am and leave at 12:45pm....every day
three day weekend every four weeks
three weeks for Ramadan
two for the other Eid
plus my thirty days
normally get another bonus few weeks given extra.
live next door to the airport, ten minute walk to check-in

I'm an extreme example, but personally I'd want more cash to go the other way to compensate me for all the stuff I'd be giving up.
do you suffer airplane noise and pollution?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:58 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

but as others have said, there are so many other factors to compare that you shouldn't just be looking at the money.

And presumably different companies have different practices that may or may not change over time, and with the individual. How much they like that person, or need that person. You could go on forever about variables.

money saved is more important than money offered, and living conditions etc too.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 10:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

do you suffer airplane noise and pollution?
from the airport, no. I live on the military base next to the airport. We're parallel to the flightpath so hardly notice it. The mosques are louder.

it's a very local airport so not too many planes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Nayef_bin_Abdulaziz_International_Airport?w prov=sfla1

pollution I've no idea about. The air seems to be quite good. Clear blue skies and so on. Get some terrible sandstorms sometimes though, but that's nothing to do with the actual airport.

the worst noise would be the army helicopters which fly right over my house at very low altitude. They make the house shake. That doesn't happen that frequently though.

it's actually a very peaceful place to live on the whole. If anything, it's too quiet.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
but as others have said, there are so many other factors to compare that you shouldn't just be looking at the money.

And presumably different companies have different practices that may or may not change over time, and with the individual. How much they like that person, or need that person. You could go on forever about variables.

money saved is more important than money offered, and living conditions etc too.
Thanks but my question was about money.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
What's Jubail like as a location? I see on google maps that it's only 2 hours' drive from Bahrain. Asking for a friend...
It was a bit of an uninspiring dump, when I visited a mate there in 2008. I didn't see bad pollution, just a really drab, boring environment. Also even Khobar isn't 2 hours from Bahrain on a Thursday night, the causeway is chock-a-block until the early hours of Friday morning.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 5:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by omega7
I can see the logic of people who have settled in ksa, especially in eastern province close to bahrain, who wouldnt be ready to have a pay cut to move to Dubai. After all, any such cut would only get worse when living expenses were factored in.

But is there truly someone who would go to ksa JUST for the 10% rise (i.e everything else being equal)? I cant think of anyone...again on the understanding that the sole driver is the pay rise.
I promise you I'm not making it up. I think that might make you believe it happens.

I know people who've moved to KSA for the same money, because they want to remain earning the tax free money. 50k in Dubai or 50k in Jeddah, I know where I'd save more money. So in reality, like Millhouse said, if costs are 10% lower (for example) then moving for the same is a 10% real gain.

Thanks but my question was about money.
Ask for 100% more, see what happens. They might be blown away by your politeness, manners and appreciation or understanding of answers that aren't the ones you want.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

That’s one piece of advice I’ll be ignoring.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That’s one piece of advice I’ll be ignoring.
"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.