Reload this Page >

UK to Riyadh, 90k SAR Month, Family of 5

UK to Riyadh, 90k SAR Month, Family of 5

Old Jan 28th 2024, 10:17 am
Just Joined

bosab7779 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Riyadh, 90k SAR Month, Family of 5

Dear Expats,
I just recently joined the forum, and looking to get some insights and wisdom from the fellow expats. I have spent some time looking through the other threads before asking any questions, so please excuse me if I am asking something already covered in another thread - happy to be directed.

We are a family of 5 (kids 14 and 5, wife and my mother-in-law), looking to move to Riyadh before the new school year begins. I am in the Lifescience/biotech sector.
The initial discussions on salary are around 90k SAR which is inclusive of housing and education and allowance.
When I researched for compounds, typically a 4 bed (wishful thinking perhaps), it seems the cost is at around 300k SAR per annum. When looking at the BISR school or Reigate - around 170K SAR a year for both.

So my monthly break down looked something like this:
Income - 90k
Outgoing:
School 14,500 (170k/12 roughly)
rent 25,000 (300k/12)
Household 2000
Utilities 1100
Internet 400
Mobile 500
Car Hire 2000
Clothing 1500
TV Subscription 300
Entertainment/Eating Out 3000
Misc 2000
Outgoing approx. - 54k

Leaving approx 36k SAR.

The questions I had:
1) is my breakdown way off or approximately OK?
2) I looked at the main compound sites, and can't find pricing directly, however, averaged out at 300k a year for 4 bedroom. Would a three bedroom suffice (kids sharing)
3) any one have comments/preferance on BISR/Reigate or sent their kids to American School (IBs) - with a view that their kids will study uni back home?
4) Any additional thoughts from anyone moved over with same circumstances or alike, and thoughts in hindsight?

I am very grateful for any advice, and will look to visit in coming month.
thanks
Bosab
Old Jan 28th 2024, 4:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Riyadh, 90k SAR Month, Family of 5

Originally Posted by bosab7779
3) any one have comments/preferance on BISR/Reigate or sent their kids to American School (IBs) - with a view that their kids will study uni back home?
Can't help at all with your budget, but just to say if 'back home' is the UK then don't forget to factor in international tuition fees for uni, just in case. They are generally much higher than the local UK rate, so it's something else to put in the budget if you're doing an 'is it worth' it calculation.

Good luck.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Sam1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bosab,

I can share my personal opinion only, 90K is considered an excellent salary for expats. This makes me assume you are at a director or VP level? I dont know whats your background or industry or what you're currently making back home but even if you put an extra 5-6k miscellaneous expenses you are left with solid 30K SAR which is good savings. Below are answers to some of of your questions. Happy to answer anything else if I could. Thanks.

The questions I had:
1) is my breakdown way off or approximately OK? Pretty much accurate. I would say car hire and household might need extra cash since you are 5 people.
2) I looked at the main compound sites, and can't find pricing directly, however, averaged out at 300k a year for 4 bedroom. Would a three bedroom suffice (kids sharing). Again I think you are probably ok with your estimates.
3) any one have comments/preferance on BISR/Reigate or sent their kids to American School (IBs) - with a view that their kids will study uni back home? Both BISR and Reigate are good even Beech Hall if kids will be going back to the UK for uni. Not sure about the American one.
4) Any additional thoughts from anyone moved over with same circumstances or alike, and thoughts in hindsight? I think its an overall great package and opportunity. Just make sure to confirm you'll get an iqama for your mother in law. Also confirm the medical insurance and annual tickets are on top of this package.

Last edited by Sam1980; Jan 29th 2024 at 3:19 am.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Sam1980, appreciate your insights.

It seems we are quite fortunate with the amount, and it provides a buffer to make sure the family is happy with the surroundings and the schooling is similar to the UK standards.

regards
Bosab.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sam1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Sam1980, appreciate your insights.

It seems we are quite fortunate with the amount, and it provides a buffer to make sure the family is happy with the surroundings and the schooling is similar to the UK standards.

regards
Bosab.

Indeed, I think so. All the best mate.
Old Jan 31st 2024, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Expats,
I just recently joined the forum, and looking to get some insights and wisdom from the fellow expats. I have spent some time looking through the other threads before asking any questions, so please excuse me if I am asking something already covered in another thread - happy to be directed.

We are a family of 5 (kids 14 and 5, wife and my mother-in-law), looking to move to Riyadh before the new school year begins. I am in the Lifescience/biotech sector.
The initial discussions on salary are around 90k SAR which is inclusive of housing and education and allowance.
When I researched for compounds, typically a 4 bed (wishful thinking perhaps), it seems the cost is at around 300k SAR per annum. When looking at the BISR school or Reigate - around 170K SAR a year for both.

So my monthly break down looked something like this:
Income - 90k
Outgoing:
School 14,500 (170k/12 roughly)
rent 25,000 (300k/12)
Household 2000
Utilities 1100
Internet 400
Mobile 500
Car Hire 2000
Clothing 1500
TV Subscription 300
Entertainment/Eating Out 3000
Misc 2000
Outgoing approx. - 54k

Leaving approx 36k SAR.

The questions I had:
1) is my breakdown way off or approximately OK?
2) I looked at the main compound sites, and can't find pricing directly, however, averaged out at 300k a year for 4 bedroom. Would a three bedroom suffice (kids sharing)
4) Any additional thoughts from anyone moved over with same circumstances or alike, and thoughts in hindsight?

I am very grateful for any advice, and will look to visit in coming month.
thanks
Bosab
Just one point that jumps out at me. You have included your mother in law in your family of 5, is her visa and medical insurance arranged and funded ?
Old Feb 1st 2024, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Dear UKMS,

thanks for your note. My MIL does have her own global insurance, however, I think I am going to have to look into this as it was also raised in the chat before. I will ask potential employer how this would work. She would typically spend 6 months with us, and then 6 months back in the UK with her other daughter.

thanks
Bosab
Old Feb 1st 2024, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps a moot point, but you'll be paying dependant fees? Groceries. Imported food stuffs can be a little pricey. 90k seems ok, but with 35k left, what about annual or several annual trips out of kingdom for 5? My last trip back to the UK was 7k sar in economy for 1, on Saudia. Early January. Anything less than 5k is considered an ok price in my book.

I have friends back in the UK in your field, they considered coming over but gave it a miss due to the quality of research they'd be engaged with. Is this something to mull over as well?
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Definitely not moot points.
Thank you.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

HelpfulExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear UKMS,

thanks for your note. My MIL does have her own global insurance, however, I think I am going to have to look into this as it was also raised in the chat before. I will ask potential employer how this would work. She would typically spend 6 months with us, and then 6 months back in the UK with her other daughter.

thanks
Bosab
worth checking, as I'm not sure a MIL can be sponsored on your Iqama. I know people who do visa run every 3 months for their MIL and hired help.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 8:07 pm

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple of points to add…

1. 300k is about right for a 3 on a good compound. You can get cheaper if you compromise. There is a place called Eid which is next door to the new BISR where you can get a 3 bed for 160k, but its dated. Depending on who you work for, you may get a discount.

2. Depending on compound / who you work, you’ll have to pay 6 months rent in advance.

3. Assume you won’t save any money in the first year and you won’t be disappointed that way.

4. School fees - maybe allow 10% on top for the website prices for all of the things they fleece you for on top. Don’t forget some compounds dont have buses to all the schools.

5. You’ll probably want to get away every school holiday, even if just to Bahrain or Qatar.

6. As a family of 4, my general food and entertainment spend excluding accomm, school, holidays is circa 15-20k per month.

7. There are getting better options off compound, but could be a lonely life for family.

My advice to everyone coming with kids is to come for the lifestyle and great experience it will give you and the kids.

Old Feb 6th 2024, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Wilkobury. Great additional points.

Its the kids half term coming up, so am looking to come visit and check out some of the schools and compounds. Will hopefully get a sense of costs and lifestyle, albeit at a very high-level. May I ask if you have children, and are they in one of the British schools? How is it?

thanks
B

p.s. thanks helpfulexpat for your earlier comment.
Old Feb 7th 2024, 4:28 am

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Wilkobury. Great additional points.

Its the kids half term coming up, so am looking to come visit and check out some of the schools and compounds. Will hopefully get a sense of costs and lifestyle, albeit at a very high-level. May I ask if you have children, and are they in one of the British schools? How is it?

thanks
B

p.s. thanks helpfulexpat for your earlier comment.
They are in one of the brit schools. We have no complaints currently, but there are mixed reviews on the older year groups and there is a fair bit of churn when kids get older and boarding school overseas becomes a bit more feasible. I would say the British schools here compare to a good UK state school at the lower years.
whilst Riyadh is up and coming, the schools are no where near Dubai standards… yet

Old Feb 9th 2024, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

KiFromUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wilkobury
3. Assume you won’t save any money in the first year and you won’t be disappointed that way.
Could you please elaborate on what are the expenses that are specific to the first year only? Do you mean by furniture (I understand most compounds have furnished flats/villas), buying a car (possibility to lease instead), moving expenses (are these generally covered by the employer?)…? Thank you very much!

Last edited by KiFromUk; Feb 9th 2024 at 2:39 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2024, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KiFromUk
Could you please elaborate on what are the expenses that are specific to the first year only? Do you mean by furniture (I understand most compounds have furnished flats/villas), buying a car (possibility to lease instead), moving expenses (are these generally covered by the employer?)…? Thank you very much!
Speaking from Dubai but many of these may well apply to KSA.

security deposits on accommodation and utilities

potential agents fees

Potential deposit if you lease a vehicle.

setting up your home whether or not furnished will still cost you.

moving costs in excess of any allowance from your employer

If applicable any residual UK tax liabilities.(seek advice)

plus things ive probably overlooked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.