Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK passport holders visiting the UAE - length of visa?

UK passport holders visiting the UAE - length of visa?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice
Default UK passport holders visiting the UAE - length of visa?

Looking for some clarification as hearing varied answers from a number of sources...

The in-laws are coming to stay with us to look after the little one at the end of next week. We are booking their flights today but need to know how long the standard visit visa is for someone from the UK.

I have seen & heard the following;

- 30 days then apply for 30 day extension

- 30 days but actually valid for 60, then 30 day extension

- 60 days then 30 day extension

From what I see on the net...

Visit Visa
Citizens of the UK (with right of abode in the UK) will be granted a free of charge visit visa on arrival in the UAE: Passports will be stamped with the visit visa as you pass through Immigration at any airport in the UAE. Although the visa may be stamped for 30 days, it entitles the holder to stay in the country for 60 days and may be renewed once for an additional period of 30 days for a fee of Dh500.

Source: http://www.government.ae/gov/en/visitors/uae/visas.jsp

29 July 2008 - New visa rules start
29 July 2008 - New visa rules apply from 07:30 this morning (as opposed to 01 August 2008 as previously stated). Conflicting reports in the press, based on conflicting statements from various officials, has left everyone confused. If you're from one of the 33 free-visa-on-arrival countries, you'll probably have an easier time of it. Bring money for visa fees, patience, and politeness, and assume visa rules will be implemented randomly depending on the mood of the official you're dealing with at the entry point or visa office. Some of the more common visa questions follow (there are no definitive answers yet, just guesses, since even the authorities keep saying different things):

- Countries that were previously allowed a visa on arrival (see list below) for free will probably still get that, but it might be 30 days instead of 60 days. Or, your passport is stamped 30 days but it's still valid for 60 days.

- Visa runs might still be allowed, but may be restricted to nationals of the free-visa-on-arrival countries. This conflicts with another report that visa renewals have to be done from the home country. Again, it might be a differentiation depending on nationality.

- Sponsoring friends and distant relatives is unclear. It may be a variable rule depending on salary, profession, nationality, etc of sponsoring person. Or it may be that only UAE nationals can sponsor friends. Again, conflicting reports seen.

Source: http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-dubai.php

Update after new visa rules from 29 July 2008: 30 day visa is AED 500 (one renewal possible), 90 day visit visa is AED 1000. Conflicting information seen for visa runs (visa renewals by exiting and re-entering the UAE on the same day). It appears that the free visit visa on arrival nationalities can still do visa runs as before, but other nationalities must leave the country for at least a month. Length of visa changed from 30 days back to 60 days sometime during August 2008 for the free visit visa on arrival nationalities.

Source: http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-dubai.php#arrival_visa

Can anyone shed some light on what is actually the case??

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all
Default Re: UK passport holders visiting the UAE - length of visa?

you now only get 30 days ...you can extend for an extra 30 at the cost of 500dhs
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
you now only get 30 days ...you can extend for an extra 30 at the cost of 500dhs
actually you can ask for the 60 day stamp on arrival
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:14 am
Just Joined

rambar is an unknown quantity at this point

Just spoke to DNRD as I've been trying to find out the same thing for a week with no success. The answer I got was something along the lines of:

It was 60 days upon arrival before July 2008
That changed to 30 days after July
Sometime in August/September it changed back to 60 days
It reverted to 30 days after December 30th 2008

To be honest, I'm still not sure... It might have changed again as I was typing this message...

If you could let me know how long your in-laws get Robbies, that would be great.

And Blue Cat, could you maybe expand on that?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

we were told by airport 60 day no longer legal and a friend just got fined for over staying by 3 days (33) days 300dhs a day ...................
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rambar
Just spoke to DNRD as I've been trying to find out the same thing for a week with no success. The answer I got was something along the lines of:

It was 60 days upon arrival before July 2008
That changed to 30 days after July

To be honest, I'm still not sure... It might have changed again as I was typing this message...

If you could let me know how long your in-laws get Robbies, that would be great.

And Blue Cat, could you maybe expand on that?
My mother was here before christmas, she got 60 days. Not sure about that rule on 30.12 though?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

rambar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lobby lou
we were told by airport 60 day no longer legal and a friend just got fined for over staying by 3 days (33) days 300dhs a day ...................
300 Dhs a day?? Ouch...

When were you told by the airport that 60 days was no longer legal?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

the lady i know about was going back to uk from AD just b4 xmas ...she had to pay fine at airport b4 she was allowed to leave......
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Jeez, harsh, and it doesn't even tie with the above information;

Before Xmas is before the 30 Dec ruling... this is all so confusing! We have booked flights for 59 days and will extend the visa if it is a 30 day visa.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:47 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Robbies
Jeez, harsh, and it doesn't even tie with the above information;

Before Xmas is before the 30 Dec ruling... this is all so confusing! We have booked flights for 59 days and will extend the visa if it is a 30 day visa.
AD never sticks to its own rules!!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

UmJammerLeilani is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived on January 4th and got a 60 day visa stamped in my passport. Hmm... glad to be able to add to the confusion!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:06 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by UmJammerLeilani
I arrived on January 4th and got a 60 day visa stamped in my passport. Hmm... glad to be able to add to the confusion!
Did you have to pay for it?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:20 pm
The Brains

This info was updated on the British FCO site yesterday.

Please note extension requirements in Abu Dhabi.

Entry requirements

Visas

British citizens do not require a visa before their arrival in the UAE. The length of visit visas given to visitors on arrival changed with effect 1 January 2009. Our Embassies are getting clarification from the Ministry of Immigration on what length of visa will be given to British nationals (possibly either 30 or 60 days). In the meantime, you can get further information from the following:

Dubai: Naturalisation and Residency Department – Dubai or Immigration tel no: +971 4 398 0000.
Abu Dhabi: UAE Federal E-Government Portal or telephone 600522222.

In Abu Dhabi, if you are over 40 and, intend to apply for an extension, you will be required to purchase local health insurance for the extra month before the visa extension will be granted.

All other British passport holders must obtain a visa before travelling to the UAE. Contact the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in London.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I fly in and out of Dubai on a very regular basis. I've been getting 60days from around last September time (maybe slightly later).

I got 60 days when I landed on the 5th Jan.

I'm flying back tomorrow (from a very nice holiday in Barbados ) and will get another 60 days.

I have a UK passport.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

UmJammerLeilani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Did you have to pay for it?

Nope. Didn't have to pay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.