British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK licence - new car hire 'rules' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-licence-new-car-hire-rules-857902/)

magnification May 9th 2015 1:37 pm

UK licence - new car hire 'rules'

May need to get a code before hiring a car outside UK.

Big changes set for hire car regulations

Johnnyboy11 May 9th 2015 3:54 pm

Re: UK licence - new car hire 'rules'

Drop by the Post Office before you leave the UK and get an International Driver's Licence, sorted?

DustyBits May 10th 2015 3:07 am

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11641403)

Can't get the link to work......

magnification May 10th 2015 1:29 pm

autotrader.co.uk
article on car hire

busybee2 May 10th 2015 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11641403)

this is a moot point as the title states here its british "expats", so as a non uk resident you shouldnt have your uk licence any more ..... you cannot use it if you are not living in the uk so you would need to use your foreign licence to hire cars... yes this came into affect june 8th but for only uk licence holders....

the reason they need to get a code or you can download a pdf to show the car rental agency, but as its a new thing people havent reported if that has been acceptable, so you need to get a code which shows your driving record, as they have gotten rid of the paper section.

BritInParis May 10th 2015 4:43 pm

Really depends where and from whom you are hiring a car from. Many foreign hire companies aren't even aware of the 'paper counterpart' so it won't make any difference. I have been unable to hire a car in the UK before because I forgot my counterpart so that will make a positive difference there. I suspect if a hire company's policy says it needs the information then they will be able to call the DVLA on your behalf. If not, carry on as before.

busybee2 May 10th 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11642074)
Really depends where and from whom you are hiring a car from. Many foreign hire companies aren't even aware of the 'paper counterpart' so it won't make any difference. I have been unable to hire a car in the UK before because I forgot my counterpart so that will make a positive difference there. I suspect if a hire company's policy says it needs the information then they will be able to call the DVLA on your behalf. If not, carry on as before.

yep the car hire places can go online to find out the info when at the desk, but then this will take some time... or you can download a pdf before you go to speed up the process.

but its good to know for when people "return" to the uk and become a uk resident and so then can "use" their uk licence again legally.

mentalist May 11th 2015 10:53 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11642083)
...but its good to know for when people "return" to the uk and become a uk resident and so then can "use" their uk licence again legally.

Don't DVLC require evidence of UK residence in the form of UK utility bills etc.?

Johnnyboy11 May 11th 2015 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11642687)
Don't DVLC require evidence of UK residence in the form of UK utility bills etc.?

Evidently not: https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

busybee2 May 11th 2015 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11642687)

nope dont think so.. hence why people just renew it without being "technically" resident. but if you are a long term expat whats the point of paying 14quid each 10 years for something that you arent going to use!

Bahtatboy May 18th 2015 10:33 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11641997)
this is a moot point as the title states here its british "expats", so as a non uk resident you shouldnt have your uk licence any more ..... you cannot use it if you are not living in the uk so you would need to use your foreign licence to hire cars... yes this came into affect june 8th but for only uk licence holders....

the reason they need to get a code or you can download a pdf to show the car rental agency, but as its a new thing people havent reported if that has been acceptable, so you need to get a code which shows your driving record, as they have gotten rid of the paper section.

As before, that's not necessarily true. Theory and practice often differ.

Interesting to note that the paper licence is not being phased out for those of us who don't have a plastic counterpart.

DustyBits May 18th 2015 10:44 am

As I remember from reading the UK licence renewal form a year or so ago, it is illegal and can invalidate your UK hire car insurance if you hire it with a UK licence but are a non-resident (expat).

I've never had a problem hiring in UK with my UAE licence, plus there's the added bonus that the rozzers won't pursue a foreign licence holder for a speeding offence......apparently...ahem.

DB

busybee2 May 18th 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11649014)
As before, that's not necessarily true. Theory and practice often differ.

Interesting to note that the paper licence is not being phased out for those of us who don't have a plastic counterpart.

explain why your "red" is not true.. when in fact another poster after agreed with me! if you want to use your uk licence then by all means... just hope that you do not need to test the system out and be involved in an accident then driving without a valid licence and then void insurance.. whatever:sarcasm: