UK Income Tax

Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:18 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Income Tax

Originally Posted by LeicesterKid
There is no escape from rip off Britain even when you are abroad.
Tax, tax, tax till you die and after you die.
Actually, there is a way, but it's complicated. You have to renounce not only being a British National, but also have to become domiciled elsewhere. Domicile rarely changes and you would have to give up all ties with the UK for it to even be considered.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:37 pm

LeicesterKid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Actually, there is a way, but it's complicated. You have to renounce not only being a British National, but also have to become domiciled elsewhere. Domicile rarely changes and you would have to give up all ties with the UK for it to even be considered.
It sounds good. I mean if I am never intending to return to the UK then I think it is a good idea to surrender UK Nationality and obtain the nationality of the spouse and children.

Where can I get more info on this?

Thanks.

LK
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:44 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you living currently LK?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:48 pm

Where are you living currently LK?
I am currently in the UK but moving to Dubai or Saudi.

As my wife would be a GCC Arab National, new laws would allow me to obtain citizenship of some countries in GCC.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
Bored liberal

Tricky for you to get UAE or Saudi nationality, I'd have thought.

Here's some info:

To change domicile a person has to establish clear intention to remain in his chosen country of current residence for life. To do this, serious evidence has to be collated to prove this intention is genuine. Many people have this intention and assume that the very fact they are permanently living abroad with little or no ties to the UK is sufficient evidence. Unfortunately this is not the case and such an assumption without clear action to back up the intention can lead to serious and negative taxation implications particularly when it comes to inheritance tax planning.

Furthermore, if you are residing in another country and you consider yourself to be domiciled there and complete a ‘DOM1’ form from the UK Inland Revenue and always tick the ‘non-domicile’ box of any UK tax return that you fill in, don’t assume that the UK tax man accepts that you are no longer UK domiciled! At best the assumption you can make is that he accepts that your current situation means that you are not liable to any income or capital gains tax and he need not enter into correspondence with you at the time. You need more evidence than this to prove that the UK tax man has you down as non UK domiciled.

If it is your intention to change your domicile to a new domicile of choice, serious action has to be taken on your part to prove to the UK tax man that your intention is fact.

Taking up the nationality of your chosen country and changing your passport is one such significant action. Becoming a member of social organisations in your country of choice and severing links with any social organisations in the UK is another significant action. Consider closing your UK bank accounts, cashing in UK investments and selling UK property. Establish a new life for yourself in your chosen country with a new circle of friends and a property...and exercise your right to vote in the new country. Make a will that is law in the new country and sever UK ties as much as possible. These are all actions that can prove your intention is to remain in the chosen country and to take on the domicile of the chosen country.

A final point - although domicile is a function of physical presence and intent, it is only after death that it falls to be established, so that intent has to be inferred from the actions of the deceased during his lifetime.

(The is much more to say on the subject - such as things like IHT domicile & the complications - but that's enough for now, I think. Honestly, I should charge for this stuff!)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:03 pm

Tricky for you to get UAE or Saudi nationality, I'd have thought.
Thanks for the info.

Well it used to be tricky, but now they have introduced a new law allowing such. They also use a points system whereby links though marriage and residing in the country for a number of years make it possible. But the catch I think is that you need to surrender you previous nationality.

Also, who you know helps.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:05 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeicesterKid
But the catch I think is that you need to surrender you previous nationality
Yes, the UAE does not recognise dual citizenship. I think Saudi may be the same.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:43 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Yes, the UAE does not recognise dual citizenship. I think Saudi may be the same.
That's true - I have a friend who's father is Emirati and his mother is British - he wanted to stay and work here and apply for the benefits locals can get and was told he would have to give up his British Citizenship which he did because he's not even eligible for the dole in the UK - here he can get a land grant after a few years once he gets married.

N.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:36 am
Just Joined

pangy-p is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: UK Income Tax

Meow, you are just the person I need to speak to!

I phoned the tax office before leaving the UK who told me it was ok to send money to my UK bank account to pay my mortgage (my home in unoccupied) etc.

However after reading this I visited their site too and it seems this information is wrong!

Can you tell me more on paying tax on money I send home? I'm VERY worried now.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:47 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by pangy-p
Meow, you are just the person I need to speak to!

I phoned the tax office before leaving the UK who told me it was ok to send money to my UK bank account to pay my mortgage (my home in unoccupied) etc.

However after reading this I visited their site too and it seems this information is wrong!

Can you tell me more on paying tax on money I send home? I'm VERY worried now.
Very simply, if you send income to the UK, you will be liabale for UK tax on anything above your annual allowance, which in the tax year 2007/08 is £5,225.

Yell if you have any more questions, or PM me.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Very simply, if you send income to the UK, you will be liabale for UK tax on anything above your annual allowance, which in the tax year 2007/08 is £5,225.

Yell if you have any more questions, or PM me.
Bugger. Does that include child support payments to the ex-w????
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:04 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Bugger. Does that include child support payments to the ex-w????

I assume it would if the payments are from income. Sorry!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it would if the payments are from income. Sorry!
Shite. What were those steps towards renouncing nationality again???

(don't answer, I'm kidding...)
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:13 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Shite. What were those steps towards renouncing nationality again???

(don't answer, I'm kidding...)
There is an article on expats and tax in today's Sunday Times (in the cultural supplement)
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MacScot
There is an article on expats and tax in today's Sunday Times (in the cultural supplement)
You're making me want to lie in bed with tea, toast & AA Gill....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.