Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK Graduate looking for Job in Dubai: Problems!

UK Graduate looking for Job in Dubai: Problems!

Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:22 am
Just Joined

ukgraduate is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Graduate looking for Job in Dubai: Problems!

Hi All,

I'm new to this and it looks like a great source of information! I'm hoping to find an entry level graduate job in Dubai (finishing my Masters in the UK soon) and am even planning a visit in June - but am getting really confused about what to expect .

I registered on www.**************** but read so many bad reviews on that so I'm treating it with a pinch of salt! I've registered with a few other agencies but I'm worried about what kind of salary I should expect or hope for. I had hoped to get a minimum of 13,000 AED per month (economics background, first class honours degree but little work experience) so I can continue to pay my debts off in UK but the only website where I've seen wages like that is jobsindubai. Isthis too much to expect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:22 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK Graduate looking for Job in Dubai: Problems!

Originally Posted by ukgraduate
Hi All,

I'm new to this and it looks like a great source of information! I'm hoping to find an entry level graduate job in Dubai (finishing my Masters in the UK soon) and am even planning a visit in June - but am getting really confused about what to expect.

I registered on www.**************** but read so many bad reviews on that so I'm treating it with a pinch of salt! I've registered with a few other agencies but I'm worried about what kind of salary I should expect or hope for. I had hoped to get a minimum of 13,000 AED per month (economics background, first class honours degree but little work experience) so I can continue to pay my debts off in UK, but the only website where I've seen wages like that is jobsindubai. Isthis too much to expect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Hello ukgraduate,

Welcome to the forum.

You may find, as with all other people that try to get jobs out in Dubai, it makes alot of difference when u r actually on the ground in Dubai, sat infront of recruitment agents discussing your options.

Arrange to meet with several agencies, book a flight out here, meet with them and show them your level of commitment and hopefully, before long, you will have landed yourself a job.

As for starting salaries, from my expectations as a graduate to be, you seem to be right on target there, whether or not you, or I actually manage to find graduate level entry positions with that sort of salary remains to be seen. I am optimistic though.

I am a graduate student at the University of Greenwich, so I am pretty much in the same boat as you are. I hope I have answered your q, but feel free to drop me a PM (private message), or an e-mail. Also, feel free to post any more q's.

Hope you enjoy the site!

*Bob.... may The Oracle suggest that the paragraphs in red (above) be added as a clause to the recruitment agencies thread? It might be useful.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Face81 - glad to hear you think the trip will help. I will be flying out to Dubai for 1 week in June, so I'll try to do as much networking as I can during that week! I'm still really concerned about salary though - like I said, only jobsindubai have offered anywhere near that kind of wage, whereas every other recruitment agency I've registered with have salarys well below 7000 AED per month. What kind of work will you be looking for and what more info can you give based on the fact you've lived there before?? Any more advice/info would be greatly appreciated! Cheers. I just hope that my trip to Dubai isn't a wasted one!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:55 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Face81 - glad to hear you think the trip will help. I will be flying out to Dubai for 1 week in June, so I'll try to do as much networking as I can during that week! I'm still really concerned about salary though - like I said, only jobsindubai have offered anywhere near that kind of wage, whereas every other recruitment agency I've registered with have salarys well below 7000 AED per month. What kind of work will you be looking for and what more info can you give based on the fact you've lived there before?? Any more advice/info would be greatly appreciated! Cheers. I just hope that my trip to Dubai isn't a wasted one!
Please search this forum for "jobsindubai".
bunch of cowboys...would not touch them with a bargepole
Old Apr 11th 2005, 3:58 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to rain on your parade, but i've never met anybody that came to dubai jobless and scored a great job with the salary they expected, the only people I know that have gotten good jobs over here with good salaries were hired in the UK or US to work here or transferred here by their companies.

You have you remember, you want 13,000 based on your degree, yet there are about 50,000 indians with the same education as you that will do any job you go after for 1/4 the salary. The only differentiating factor between you and an indian is experience, and as you didn't mention any, I don't see you having an advantage there.

As much as the government would like you to think otherwise, dubai is a very small economy, growing, but still in its infancy stages. They boast a '0%' expat unemployment rate, however since you can't get a residency visa without a job this is a little misleading.

The only industry I see here that hires people out of the blue are engineering companies.

Definitely come over and check it out, recruiting firms are a bunch of bullshit and will take your money and send you home. But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get something that works out. But like I said, don't be dissapointed if nothing works out in your time here. Also, you'll need way more than a week to work something out.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:29 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
Not trying to rain on your parade, but i've never met anybody that came to dubai jobless and scored a great job with the salary they expected, the only people I know that have gotten good jobs over here with good salaries were hired in the UK or US to work here or transferred here by their companies.

You have you remember, you want 13,000 based on your degree, yet there are about 50,000 indians with the same education as you that will do any job you go after for 1/4 the salary. The only differentiating factor between you and an indian is experience, and as you didn't mention any, I don't see you having an advantage there.

As much as the government would like you to think otherwise, dubai is a very small economy, growing, but still in its infancy stages. They boast a '0%' expat unemployment rate, however since you can't get a residency visa without a job this is a little misleading.

The only industry I see here that hires people out of the blue are engineering companies.

Definitely come over and check it out, recruiting firms are a bunch of bullshit and will take your money and send you home. But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get something that works out. But like I said, don't be dissapointed if nothing works out in your time here. Also, you'll need way more than a week to work something out.
Would have to agree,
seen many people come over here and waste a loads of money, only to leave a few weeks later empty handed
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:09 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by TA5
They boast a '0%' expat unemployment rate, however since you can't get a residency visa without a job this is a little misleading.
And also because if you loose your job, your employer can have you banned and removed from the country.

I believe that firms in the DIC have to put a securities deposit on any expat workers, this is only returned once they provide proof that the ex-employee has left the country.

The only exception at DIC is that if you can get another job within 30 days, then they will return the money to your old company.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the honest advice - I'm keeping all options open at the moment so it's only one avenue I was hoping on exploring. Even if my visit doesn't help it will still be a nice holiday! I've got quite a few months before I need to find a job so hopefully something somewhere will work out!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

SAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud of

Hello all,

This is my first post.
For sure this forum is very useful for people looking for more information about UAE. I do appreciate a lot its content.
I am about to come to UAE end of this month, and I will use all your recommondations to find a job.
I am trying to get a job in UAE banking/IT field, and I discover that it is not as easy that I thought several months ago. Even if I have more than 16 years experience within great international banks this is not sufficient.
I am planning to knock all doors : employment agencies, banks (Operations or IT), consulting companies and financial institutions.
I will post my UAE experience, may be this can help job seekers.
As I read/heard that netwoking can be a good way to be introduced, I will concentrate on this. If someone can help, this will be very great.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:09 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SAMY_B
Hello all,

This is my first post.
For sure this forum is very useful for people looking for more information about UAE. I do appreciate a lot its content.
I am about to come to UAE end of this month, and I will use all your recommondations to find a job.
I am trying to get a job in UAE banking/IT field, and I discover that it is not as easy that I thought several months ago. Even if I have more than 16 years experience within great international banks this is not sufficient.
I am planning to knock all doors : employment agencies, banks (Operations or IT), consulting companies and financial institutions.
I will post my UAE experience, may be this can help job seekers.
As I read/heard that netwoking can be a good way to be introduced, I will concentrate on this. If someone can help, this will be very great.
Hello Sammy. Welcome to the site.

Glad u find it useful. Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:11 am
The Oracle

Cheers Face81 - glad to hear you think the trip will help. What kind of work will you be looking for and what more info can you give based on the fact you've lived there before?? Any more advice/info would be greatly appreciated! Cheers. I just hope that my trip to Dubai isn't a wasted one!
NP UKgrad. Glad i could help. Am back in London now.

I will/am looking for a job as an engineering consultant and am making good progress....... i think. lol

A trip to Dubai to meet with potential employers is probably 1000 times more valuable than doing the same thing via e-mail/telephone/fax... they like to see dedication.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me with any more q's u have.