Reload this Page >

UK family looking to move to UAE

UK family looking to move to UAE

Old Feb 24th 2024, 9:47 am
Just Joined

seph90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK family looking to move to UAE

Hi all,
Myself and my wife are looking into the prospect of moving our family to the UAE in search of a better life. We're attracted mostly by the higher wages, weather and education for our young kids but we'd like to know if it's a realistic prospect based on our work experience? I'm a logistics manager currently and also have experience in the travel industry - is there a demand for expats within these sectors and would the package pay enough to sustain a family of 4? My wife currently works for the Police and likely would also want to work in some way.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2024, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK family looking to move to UAE

Find the job, then move. Don't move then look for jobs.
Old Feb 26th 2024, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seph90
Hi all,
Myself and my wife are looking into the prospect of moving our family to the UAE in search of a better life. We're attracted mostly by the higher wages, weather and education for our young kids but we'd like to know if it's a realistic prospect based on our work experience? I'm a logistics manager currently and also have experience in the travel industry - is there a demand for expats within these sectors and would the package pay enough to sustain a family of 4? My wife currently works for the Police and likely would also want to work in some way.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Firstly I strongly echo whats been said above .... dont even consider moving on the chance of finding a job you simply risk wasting a lot of money.

Really depends on what you actually do and the depth your experience in the roles you mention. Higher wages can be a myth when you factor the cost of moving and the cost of living for a family and the cost to factor a plan B if it all goes wrong. The problem you will find in most logistics related roles (at whatever level) is that you will be in stiff competition with expats from countries that will be happy to earn a lot less than you as a UK expat with a young family in country as well as the fact that many will have deep experience in the region. Unless of course you offer something unique in the role.

Im not being negative ..... just realistic

Old Feb 26th 2024, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point

The winter is nice, but most of the year it is very hot and very humid, July and August is just plain brutal.
Old Mar 2nd 2024, 7:24 am
Just Joined

seph90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your comments. Definitely good to be realistic.

Im using LinkedIn to keep an eye out for jobs and to network, are there any other routes for finding jobs for expats not currently in the country?
Old Mar 2nd 2024, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seph90
Thanks all for your comments. Definitely good to be realistic.

Im using LinkedIn to keep an eye out for jobs and to network, are there any other routes for finding jobs for expats not currently in the country?
Have a look at the career sites of any company that you fancy working for, from a logistics perspective most of the big players have a presence here and you also mentioned the travel industry, so would suggest Emirates / dnata career sites or if you fancy Abu Dhabi Etihad also have a careers site.