Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK electrical goods

UK electrical goods

Old May 1st 2008, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default UK electrical goods

I may be moving to Dubai in the near future. Can I use my British electrical goods, fridge, TV etc there?
Old May 1st 2008, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrical goods

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I may be moving to Dubai in the near future. Can I use my British electrical goods, fridge, TV etc there?
yep, same plugs and everything...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Only thing to note is that the white goods can turn a bit cream/yellow due to the heat in the container.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:06 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Better to sell them as some rental properties come with white goods, which are cheap second-hand anyway.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:25 am
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough

Probably cheaper to buy here than ship out from the UK any way....plus you may run into customs duty problems etc
Old May 1st 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info. It would probably just be the fridge, a big new american one that I really don't want to part with and the TVs. I wasn't sure if the TV would work (as in the USA). They would come with my household goods in a container. Do you have to pay duty on household goods?
Old May 1st 2008, 12:13 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yep, same plugs and everything...

MM, xx
yeah that is mega handy, until you buy something (hair clippers for me) over here and it has teh 2 pin plug, thats a pain.

The indian lads at work just bloody force them into the 3 pin plugs, you see sparks coming out, I proper get out of the way when they do that. Pure madness.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:15 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. It would probably just be the fridge, a big new american one that I really don't want to part with and the TVs. I wasn't sure if the TV would work (as in the USA). They would come with my household goods in a container. Do you have to pay duty on household goods?
normally when you ship things over (I think) you have to pay soomething like 10% of what they are worth insurance then about (I think) the same again tax.

I sent my imac over and paid £200, thats allthey said it would cost, when the courier turned up I had to pay another £75 for import tax.

twats.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just checked with my mover and there is no duty or taxes on household goods as long as they are under six months old.
Does anyone know if a UK TV will work in Dubai? I understand the voltage is the same, its the screen or resolution or whatever it is called that I am wondering about. For example a USA TV will not work in the UK and vice versa (even if the voltage was the same). You just can't get a picture. I don't want to cart the blasted things over for nothing! Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked with my mover and there is no duty or taxes on household goods as long as they are under six months old.
Does anyone know if a UK TV will work in Dubai? I understand the voltage is the same, its the screen or resolution or whatever it is called that I am wondering about. For example a USA TV will not work in the UK and vice versa (even if the voltage was the same). You just can't get a picture. I don't want to cart the blasted things over for nothing! Any help would be appreciated.
didn't you believe me the first time...to reiterate, yes, it will work...

MM, xx
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

TV system here is PAL - same as UK. US is NTSC. Most modern sets are multi standard and will auto detect the system and adjust themselves accordingly - or can be set via the TV setup menu.

Strictly the systems here and and in the UK are not exactly the same - UK is PAL/B/G while UAE is PAL/I. I think this means that if you have an older TV set you may find the picture works but sound doesn't.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help, now I know. And MM, sorry, no offense intended.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for all the help, now I know. And MM, sorry, no offense intended.
oh don't worry, i'm defo not that easily offended...!!!

MM, xx
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:35 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust
Strictly the systems here and and in the UK are not exactly the same - UK is PAL/B/G while UAE is PAL/I. I think this means that if you have an older TV set you may find the picture works but sound doesn't.
FWIW, the difference between the PAL variants only applies if you're plugging things into the aerial socket of the TV (and yes, it's all to do with the frequency of the audio subcarrier, so you'll be able to tune in the picture but there'll be no sound).

If you're connecting things using the SCART or phono leads, though, there are no compatibility problems to worry about.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:54 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
yeah that is mega handy, until you buy something (hair clippers for me) over here and it has teh 2 pin plug, thats a pain.

The indian lads at work just bloody force them into the 3 pin plugs, you see sparks coming out, I proper get out of the way when they do that. Pure madness.
Ikea (or your local hypermarket) will sell you swishy converter blocks for a few dirham - we have stack of them now (all in use!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.