Reload this Page >

UK to Dubai - Most recommended banks

UK to Dubai - Most recommended banks

Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

jayman99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK to Dubai - Most recommended banks

HI Guys,
Can anyone recommend which UK bank I should open - for best service and competitive rates in Dubai. So far I had narrowed it down to HSBC, Lloyds or Natwest.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Dubai - Most recommended banks

Originally Posted by jayman99
HI Guys,
Can anyone recommend which UK bank I should open - for best service and competitive rates in Dubai. So far I had narrowed it down to HSBC, Lloyds or Natwest.

Thanks
HSBC is my choice as they have International and UAE branches here.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart
Thanks, also is it best to open accounts from the UK or best to wait until arrival?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, also is it best to open accounts from the UK or best to wait until arrival?
Personally I rarely use my UK account but rely on my Off-Shore Jersey account and a UAE account. If you already have a PO Box number for your Dubai workplace (as there is no effective private mailing service here), why not open an O/S account now?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Personally I rarely use my UK account but rely on my Off-Shore Jersey account and a UAE account. If you already have a PO Box number for your Dubai workplace (as there is no effective private mailing service here), why not open an O/S account now?
I will be sending funds to UK on a regular basis - so will need to use my UK account. Shall I open all three or will I be able to use the offshore account? Sorry, very new to this so have no idea!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

pedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nice

I'm relocating to Abu Dhabi next week and also need to establish banking. My first hope was to see if my company can just do automatic deposit of my paycheck electronically to my USA bank. All they would need for this is a routing number to send the funds and it should be a free process for me on both ends of the transfer. However if the company can't do direct deposit of my paycheck, then they obviously can't do a direct deposit even to a UAE bank; resulting in a paper paycheck that I would need to take to a UAE bank account. If this is the case, then that UAE bank should be able to tansfer money periodically to any bank of my choice (i.e. USA). I'm sure there is a fee for this. A person might be able to also get a money order from the UAE bank and mail it to the USA bank for a very, very small fee. I guess what I'm saying is there are many options out there and it may payoff to really explore them to save you money!!! Also should watch the currency rates and maybe do the transfers at the right time. Sorry I know I rambled....for me the problem is that there are no UAE branch bank offices where I live in the US.

Last edited by pedersenislands; Nov 14th 2007 at 9:57 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 4:37 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

HI Guys,

Thanks
I've been here for 7 years and find Lloyds are the best overall. I even recommend them to my clients.

N.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

aa88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be sending funds to UK on a regular basis - so will need to use my UK account. Shall I open all three or will I be able to use the offshore account? Sorry, very new to this so have no idea!!
if your sending funds regularly, you might be better by avoiding using the banks, thus avoiding the transfer fees and the large percentage they'll take. have a look at some foreign exchange providers. they wont charge you to move the money and it's free to register with them. still use your bank if they offer a better deal, it just gives you more options with your money.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - when I started my employer put me with UNB, they were crap beyond belief. HSBC I have no complaints with. My sister uses Lloyds and also seems happy enough. A lot of people tell me RAK Bank is very good...
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:25 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I've been here for 7 years and find Lloyds are the best overall. I even recommend them to my clients.

N.
I second that. You can set up an offshore a/c when you get here and enjoy online banking so you rarely even need to visit the branch once you are here. I have a standing order from my local a/c each month to my offshore a/c. If you do a transfer on the 1st or the 15th of the month it is free.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

HI Guys,

Thanks
Lloyds - HSBC are hopeless. And no, I don't work for Lloyds
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:12 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aa88
if your sending funds regularly, you might be better by avoiding using the banks, thus avoiding the transfer fees and the large percentage they'll take. have a look at some foreign exchange providers. they wont charge you to move the money and it's free to register with them. still use your bank if they offer a better deal, it just gives you more options with your money.
Quite true - I also recommend a currency exchange company that can save up to 1% on transfers but it's only really any good for decent sums.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Lloyds - HSBC are hopeless. And no, I don't work for Lloyds
Lies lies lies....I saw you and Miss Eck winking and giggling yesterday when I was cashing a cheque at their safa branch!

N.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:53 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Quite true - I also recommend a currency exchange company that can save up to 1% on transfers but it's only really any good for decent sums.
We have a problem in Kuwait because the currency is relatively unconvertable. I just get KD and sell them locally and take the wad back home time to time. Bank transfers have one advantage in that the currency is converted in Kuwait and not in the home bank. None of the international exchanges deal in KD.

Good thing is that the currency is strong because it is depegged and you in UAE are going to do well when the revaluation is effected. So you don't need to convert sterling speculatively.

However I don't recommend my trick because of - fake sterling, getting mugged in UK by thief, getting mugged by HMRC for tax on a remittance basis.

However, I do point out that you can lose a lot of value in currency transfers by poor rates and bank charges so it is worth optimising the transaction.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

aa88 is an unknown quantity at this point

have a look at these sites, www.pdqfx.com, www.sgm-fx.com, www.forex.de.

not sure if they do KD but they were good when i used them to move money in europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.