British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   From UK to Dubai as a graduate with boyfriend (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-dubai-graduate-boyfriend-876150/)

Betty Boop 1995 Apr 19th 2016 12:53 pm

From UK to Dubai as a graduate with boyfriend

Good afternoon to everyone.

I have done many research on the topic and I have looked for people with similar situations but I have not found yet what I am looking for.

My boyfriend and I are planning of moving to Dubai together after my graduation (we would get married first). He is older than me and has already years of experience. On the other hand, I would move there with a degree in International Marketing and one year of experience (internships).

What I would like to know is if this would be a good idea for me as well, given the current market in Dubai, or if I should stay in the UK. We both know that my wage would be low and we have already taken this into account.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :fingerscrossed:

Betty Boop 1995 Apr 19th 2016 1:13 pm

Re: From UK to Dubai as a graduate with boyfriend

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11926704)
My advice would be to find a job before moving.

By all means visit and try to set up meetings, network and pass out CVs but don't move without at least one of you have a job lined up.

And if you do come budget for only one salary and save the other one. Things can turn sour very quickly, and it's easy to get sucked into overspending and debt.

What field is your boyfriend in?

Best of luck.

N.

Yes, we were thinking of moving only if he finds a job, as just mine would not be enough. He works in IT/Banking and he also has some qualifications. My main worry is going there with him finding a job, and not being able to find one for myself or hurt my career. Do you believe that it would be a good move for me? Starting my career there I mean

Thank you ^^

Millhouse Apr 19th 2016 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Betty Boop 1995 (Post 11926713)
Yes, we were thinking of moving only if he finds a job, as just mine would not be enough. He works in IT/Banking and he also has some qualifications. My main worry is going there with him finding a job, and not being able to find one for myself or hurt my career. Do you believe that it would be a good move for me? Starting my career there I mean

Thank you ^^

Frankly, it is a terrible idea.

But don't let that stop up.

Betty Boop 1995 Apr 19th 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11926728)

Ahah I will try to, but thank you for the honesty

dubaiguy2011 Apr 21st 2016 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11926728)

+1

Betty Boop 1995 Apr 24th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11927716)
I don't know much about your field to be honest - best to start applying and see what comes up.

Try networking when you visit to test the waters. There are lots of professional and social networking groups in Dubai.

IT and Banking have taken a hit in Abu Dhabi but I understand Dubai is doing better as it relies less on government spending.

N.

Okay, thank you. I will try with LinkedIn while I am here then