British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK to Dubai - good move or not?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-dubai-good-move-not-863202/)

ToGoOrNotToGo Aug 10th 2015 9:20 pm

UK to Dubai - good move or not?!

Hi all, my husband's company has asked us to relocate from Northern Ireland to Dubai for 12-24 months. The package they are offering is to be confirmed - probably pretty standard but once we get the details we can assess the financial side. So I have 2 questions!

1. We are aged 30 and 32, just married and have no children. We pretty much work, eat, sleep and go to the gym (my husband much more than me!) from Monday to Friday. Entertainment in NI at the weekend is somewhat limited!! Would the move add much value to our lives outside of work? We eventually want to come back home and all being well have children, would 1-2 years in Dubai give us the quality time and experience we would hope for before we "settle down" or would it just be like passing the time abroad instead of home? Any experiences good and bad would be useful to hear!

2. I'm an actuary at home so would ideally like to do the same in Dubai. If anyone knows any useful info about the profession out there it would be much appreciated e.g. Areas of work, size of the profession, salaries, etc

Thanks in advance!

Millhouse Aug 11th 2015 5:10 am

Re: UK to Dubai - good move or not?!

Do it and maybe regret it later rather than spending your days wondering what if when changing the 3000th nappy.

Bahtatboy Aug 11th 2015 7:01 am

Most people really enjoy it, especially in the honeymoon period (the first couple of years generally). Lots to do, potential for a great lifestyle, and probably best done pre-sprogs (although there are some excellent schools). I can't imagine why you wouldn't do it, although you may need to consider the UK income tax rules closely since it's a relatively short stay.

hnd Aug 11th 2015 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11721117)
Do it and maybe regret it later rather than spending your days wondering what if when changing the 3000th nappy.

Agree with Millhouse - go for it (if the numbers seem to work out). Two of the saddest words ever are "if only". So much to see and do, so many people to meet and so many places to visit within easy reach of Dubai.

Meow Aug 11th 2015 12:12 pm

What have you got to lose? :) There is loads to do in the UAE and it's also a short flight to numerous other places. Just make sure the numbers work as it is expensive to set up here and rents are very high.

As mentioned about be aware that if you only stay for 12-24 months you may end up paying UK Income Tax on most if not all of your overseas income.

This might help: Information on the new UK Statutory Residency Test | Financial Planning in the UAE

For work as an actuary have a look at companies in DIFC, Dubai International Financial Centre, such as Mercer.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 11th 2015 12:28 pm

Worst case scenario you return home having tried and not enjoyed it.

However, lots of people don't get the chance and I think it's something completely worthwhile doing. The experience is fantastic and a real eye opener. The tax free cash helps.

Before you know it you'll be three years in, pregnant and wandering around Ikea buying a new TV stand.

As has been said, if you don't go, you won't know.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 11th 2015 4:55 pm

I didnt know you had to be pregnant to get into Ikea
or do you have to be pregnant to buy a TV stand? ;)

on a serious note, if no kids yet then definitely go for it, if done right, you should be able to save money for a small house in a few years.

RG89 Aug 11th 2015 8:59 pm

Hi, I am also an actuary and recently received an offer to work out in Dubai.
Happy to share any information you may need :)

lilia ten horn Aug 12th 2015 10:49 am

Originally Posted by ToGoOrNotToGo (Post 11720908)
Hi all, my husband's company has asked us to relocate from Northern Ireland to Dubai for 12-24 months. The package they are offering is to be confirmed - probably pretty standard but once we get the details we can assess the financial side. So I have 2 questions!

1. We are aged 30 and 32, just married and have no children. We pretty much work, eat, sleep and go to the gym (my husband much more than me!) from Monday to Friday. Entertainment in NI at the weekend is somewhat limited!! Would the move add much value to our lives outside of work? We eventually want to come back home and all being well have children, would 1-2 years in Dubai give us the quality time and experience we would hope for before we "settle down" or would it just be like passing the time abroad instead of home? Any experiences good and bad would be useful to hear!

2. I'm an actuary at home so would ideally like to do the same in Dubai. If anyone knows any useful info about the profession out there it would be much appreciated e.g. Areas of work, size of the profession, salaries, etc

Thanks in advance!

Hi there I hope I am not late, I have lived in Dubai for 3 years, glad to share with you my experience,but there are a lot of things I would like you to know-too much to write- about before moving.I tried to send you private msg suggesting other ways how to communicate verbaly like skype for exmp,but I don't have enough posts to go for it.So plz feel free to come up with any way of communication rather than writing.

Thank you.

captainflack Aug 12th 2015 6:21 pm

It's a good place to make some money and have a bit of fun when you're young. Couple of years is probably the right amount of time to plan for.

Also agree that you should have kids after you leave. There is always a general sense of unease about the place, it goes with the culture, the fact you have zero rights, if you pick an argument with the wrong person... well just watch the news. I could kind of deal with it when it was just me and the wife, but when we had kids, I found the lunatic driving standards and all the other cr4p even more worrying. My brother subsequently got trapped for a month over a visa screw up and I worried about getting my newborn son a visa because some of the things we'd been told we'd need (but as it turned out didn't).

Have since moved to Europe, and have a much better life with a lot less stress than in Dubai. And I take the kids to the park and there are actually other parents there instead of filipino nannies. But the Dubai gig helped pay for our house, so I can't really knock it, even though I'd honestly never want to go back to the place.