UK to Dubai

Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Shaks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Dubai

Hi,

I am looking to seek your opinion, advice, suggestions.

I am British citizen, married and working for a multinational company at 40K per annum. My job title is Financial Analyst and the qualifications that I hold are UK bachelor’s degree and ACCA, my work experience is around 6 years which includes 2 years after getting ACCA qualification. I have property on mortgage and fewer loans that I need to pay off.

Looking at the economic situation of UK, me and my partner are thinking to move to Dubai (based on if I get job offer) also, my partner holds Masters degree that he earned in UK and is related to journalism.

I would like to know that how much it is possible in reality to move to Dubai and enjoy benefitting the tax-free income, should I be expecting a better salary package in Dubai, would it be worthy if I get a good package and leave UK, also looking over the matters that I will leave in UK (as in loans and mortgage).

I would really appreciate your kind help and suggestions.

Thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Dubai

welcome to BE, I know nothing about that industry so I will leave it to others to answer
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
welcome to BE, I know nothing about that industry so I will leave it to others to answer
Thanks Blue Cat
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:07 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shaks
Hi,

I am British citizen, married and working for a multinational company at 40K per annum. My job title is Financial Analyst and the qualifications that I hold are UK bachelor’s degree and ACCA, my work experience is around 6 years which includes 2 years after getting ACCA qualification. I have property on mortgage and fewer loans that I need to pay off.

Looking at the economic situation of UK, me and my partner are thinking to move to Dubai (based on if I get job offer) also, my partner holds Masters degree that he earned in UK and is related to journalism.

I would like to know that how much it is possible in reality to move to Dubai and enjoy benefitting the tax-free income, should I be expecting a better salary package in Dubai, would it be worthy if I get a good package and leave UK, also looking over the matters that I will leave in UK (as in loans and mortgage).

Thanks.
So what do you to want to do here?

Have you been to Dubai?

Oh, and before anyone lse says, the old "Get married" thing...

Is this a dream or a real project?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:17 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
Can't help you with your bit, but the media industry out here is always looking for new people. Just a warning. Many of the employers have a bad rep for a reason. It won't impact your partner's CV, but it might affect their passon for the job.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
So what do you to want to do here?

Have you been to Dubai?

Oh, and before anyone lse says, the old "Get married" thing...

Is this a dream or a real project?

I haven't been to Dubai, but my partner worked there for 2 years and he liked it there, and to be honest it is a dream project you can say, I myself is fed up from UK and want to excel in my career, that is the reason I am looking to move to Dubai.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Can't help you with your bit, but the media industry out here is always looking for new people. Just a warning. Many of the employers have a bad rep for a reason. It won't impact your partner's CV, but it might affect their passon for the job.
Thanks for your reply, wondering what do you mean by the employers bad reputation?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:22 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

I haven't been to Dubai, but my partner worked there for 2 years and he liked it there, and to be honest it is a dream project you can say, I myself is fed up from UK and want to excel in my career, that is the reason I am looking to move to Dubai.
Fair comment, apply to the investment authorities, ADIA being the biggest.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
... and get rejected immediately. How many applications do they get each day?

Better to join an investment bank where the working practices are cleaner - HSBC, Macquarie or Standard Chartered. Or maybe a power developer - loads of them here.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:57 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply, wondering what do you mean by the employers bad reputation?
If he asks any of his colleagues if they've heard of ITP, CPI, Motivate etc (on the magazine side), he'll hear bad things back. Almost everyone in the UK media knows of someone who's worked there and has nothing but bad things to say about them.

From my personal experience, with regards to magazines, the majority are ran with just one editorial member (compared to UK publications where even the smallest usually has two members of staff).

Also, the sales people rather than the editors are in charge, and it's not usually to spend three weeks preparing, writing, and editing a magazine before having to dump all of your interesting stories and interviews to fill it with crap sales-led rubbish because the sales people don't know the boundaries of what they can and can't sell.

I and many of the people I worked with frequently worked from 8am to 10pm Sunday through Thursday, and the office would usually be a quarter full from the editorial side of a weekend.

On the newspaper side, the quantity of staffing is better, but the quality is usually very poor.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
Thanks Kix, I am on their website
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Better to join an investment bank where the working practices are cleaner - HSBC, Macquarie or Standard Chartered. Or maybe a power developer - loads of them here.
Thanks Millhouse, of course one never knows if he/she get rejected or selected, but I was wondering, do you think that there is a job stability with such institutions like banks and other developers? Also, would it be wise to approach them directly or should I rely on recruitment agencies in UK who recruit for ME region?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
If he asks any of his colleagues if they've heard of ITP, CPI, Motivate etc (on the magazine side), he'll hear bad things back. Almost everyone in the UK media knows of someone who's worked there and has nothing but bad things to say about them.

From my personal experience, with regards to magazines, the majority are ran with just one editorial member (compared to UK publications where even the smallest usually has two members of staff).

Also, the sales people rather than the editors are in charge, and it's not usually to spend three weeks preparing, writing, and editing a magazine before having to dump all of your interesting stories and interviews to fill it with crap sales-led rubbish because the sales people don't know the boundaries of what they can and can't sell.

I and many of the people I worked with frequently worked from 8am to 10pm Sunday through Thursday, and the office would usually be a quarter full from the editorial side of a weekend.

On the newspaper side, the quantity of staffing is better, but the quality is usually very poor.

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply, and my apologies for not mentioning that my partner used to work for electronic media, TV basically. He used to be in broadcast journalism behind the camera. He worked at Media City and was associated with Pakistan's private tv network which is no longer operating from Dubai anymore. We both are looking in our sectors and the reason to be here is to seek an insight from people like you and others, who are currently present in that region and knows the ground reality.

I appreciate your kind help.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:16 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Thanks Millhouse, of course one never knows if he/she get rejected or selected, but I was wondering, do you think that there is a job stability with such institutions like banks and other developers? Also, would it be wise to approach them directly or should I rely on recruitment agencies in UK who recruit for ME region?

Thanks.
Never rely on anyone in Middle East. If you want anything done, do it yourself.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:18 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I personally know 8 people who work there, 2 Brits, 1 Emirati, 4 Indians and a sheepshagger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.