British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK couple looking to move to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-couple-looking-move-dubai-691065/)

kgroonie Oct 26th 2010 1:40 pm

UK couple looking to move to Dubai

Hi folks,

We are a coouple from the UK looking to move to Dubai, only thing that is worrying is the fact of not having work when we go. I know a lot of companies wont touch you if you are not already in the country. Im from an agricultural background in agrichemical sales etc and looking to move into the oil industry , either in sales or actual hands on work. I know they employ a lot of cheap labour there so may be a stumbling block. My wife has vast experience in admin and secreterial work . Can anyone out there help us?!!

Look forward to hearing from you guys

Thanks
Kevin

lionheart Oct 26th 2010 1:59 pm

Re: UK couple looking to move to Dubai

Without having a permanent job between the pair of you, how do you expect to be allowed to live here? Why not try Spain or Portugal?

Autonomy Oct 26th 2010 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kgroonie (Post 8943220)
Hi folks,

We are a coouple from the UK looking to move to Dubai, only thing that is worrying is the fact of not having work when we go. I know a lot of companies wont touch you if you are not already in the country. Im from an agricultural background in agrichemical sales etc and looking to move into the oil industry , either in sales or actual hands on work. I know they employ a lot of cheap labour there so may be a stumbling block. My wife has vast experience in admin and secreterial work . Can anyone out there help us?!!

Look forward to hearing from you guys

Thanks
Kevin

It's possible to come out with no jobs and look, we did it - that said it's not advisable for everyone...

Have you visited Dubai before? Do you have contacts in the area you want to be employed?

Can one of you come out for a 10 day "fact finding" have some interviews first etc...?

Oyibopeppeh Oct 26th 2010 2:05 pm

There are loads of oil & gas job sites:

oilandgasjobsearch

rigzone

to name just a couple....let google be your friend

Blue Cat Oct 26th 2010 2:06 pm

Do you somewhere to stay when you arrive? family here or something?

flares Oct 26th 2010 2:12 pm

another roonie coming to Dubai !!

kgroonie Oct 26th 2010 2:22 pm

ha ha not as greedy as him though lol

kgroonie Oct 26th 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8943277)
It's possible to come out with no jobs and look, we did it - that said it's not advisable for everyone...

Have you visited Dubai before? Do you have contacts in the area you want to be employed?

Can one of you come out for a 10 day "fact finding" have some interviews first etc...?

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, we are actually just back form there as we were at my cousins wedding so we never had time to get interviews, but yes we would be able to come out asap for interviews. Do you work in the Oil and gas?

Thanks
Kevin

Blue Cat Oct 26th 2010 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by kgroonie (Post 8943330)
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, we are actually just back form there as we were at my cousins wedding so we never had time to get interviews, but yes we would be able to come out asap for interviews. Do you work in the Oil and gas?

Thanks
Kevin

if you can gain free accomodation until you find a job then why not try, but we are still in recession and redundancies are still being made. It's not cheap to live here.

kgroonie Oct 26th 2010 2:27 pm

Yeah we are thinking about it, what do you do out there?

Thanks
Kevin

Blue Cat Oct 26th 2010 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by kgroonie (Post 8943342)
Yeah we are thinking about it, what do you do out there?

Thanks
Kevin

nothing I am a lady of leisure, my husband is an Engineer though :)

kgroonie Oct 26th 2010 2:31 pm

Ok thanks for the info, would he be able to help at all with job hunting at his work ?

Thanks
Kevin

Oyibopeppeh Oct 26th 2010 2:33 pm

Oil & Gas related is one of the biggest employers out here. If you're a good sales person you shouldn't have much difficulty in getting a job.

Blue Cat Oct 26th 2010 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by kgroonie (Post 8943351)
Ok thanks for the info, would he be able to help at all with job hunting at his work ?

Thanks
Kevin

you can e mail me your cv and I can ask him but I doubt it, we struggled to get this job as it is and we have been here 14 years

kgroonie Oct 26th 2010 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8943356)
Oil & Gas related is one of the biggest employers out here. If you're a good sales person you shouldn't have much difficulty in getting a job.

Hi there, yes I think I am, do you work in this sector? Unfortunately I work in a total different industry but im wanting to change onto the Oil and Gas

Thanks
Kevin