British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK Child Passport Application - Advice Required (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-child-passport-application-advice-required-812358/)

d0ughboy Oct 16th 2013 7:49 pm

UK Child Passport Application - Advice Required

Hi All,

My son is soon to be 5 years old and his first passport is due to expire within the next 6 months.

We currently live in Abu Dhabi, having moved over from the UK 6 months ago.

Is it possible to apply for a replacement passport from here? I had read something about applying from abroad may not be possible anymore, but I could be mistaken.

I'm not really sure what to do, as we are not due to go back to the UK until next summer and this may cause issues anyway as my son will have less than 6 months left on his passport and most likely will have expired by then.

Cheers

busybee2 Oct 16th 2013 8:27 pm

Re: UK Child Passport Application - Advice Required

yes you can apply from here, where did you hear that you cant do it from here.... so u would need to return to the uk before a passport runs out to renew it. rubbish.

you download the form, with a child you need to get it countersigned etc. send it by dhl for 150 to liverpool, they will process it and send it back by dhl, usually in about 10 days.

you are getting confused you used to be able to get the passports renewed in the embassy here, but they havent been doing that for a few years now, they were going to germany but as the beginning of this year now they are sent back to liverpool.

in the past when it was going to germany you sent your original passports etc to them and the new passport was printed in the uk and sent from there so you got back the originals from germany and the new from uk, now its all done in the uk.

if you have a british passport and are returning you do not need 6 months to enter uk, its the airlines that insist on 6 months in some cases.

you can get 9 months added to a passport if it has not run out by the time you renew it, so you can do it now before the xmas rush and not loose any time.

busybee2 Oct 16th 2013 8:27 pm

the issue you will have is that do you know anybody to countersign the photo and form etc as they should have known you for 2 years at least and be able to recognise the child etc too

BritInParis Oct 16th 2013 9:49 pm

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

d0ughboy Oct 17th 2013 8:14 am

Thanks people for you help....yes, I did get it confused with the notification about the embassy renewal process.

scot47 Oct 18th 2013 2:19 pm

Carleton Hyphen Brown at the Embassy has affairs of state to attend to. He should not be troubled by oiks who want a new passport. Leave that to some dodgy private company that can make a profit it out of it !

OleJanx Oct 18th 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10950306)
Carleton Hyphen Brown at the Embassy has affairs of state to attend to. He should not be troubled by oiks who want a new passport. Leave that to some dogy private company that can make a profit it out of it !

Carleton Hyphen Brown is much more interested in his noon Gin and tonic in Riyadh than any of those tedious individuals holding Red British Passports.
Tut!! What ever happened to Navy passports and the British Empire? Most unorthodox...

nonthaburi Oct 18th 2013 6:08 pm

My dear chaps , there are other people to do these kind of things . One has a lot of engagements to go to you know .

BritInParis Oct 18th 2013 6:13 pm

Very few diplomats left now. Most embassies are staffed almost exclusively with locally engaged staff these days.