Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:34 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

yeah, CB isn't tax or income related - it's now £20/week for your first and £13-odd for subsequent. I do vaguely remember from some of the guidelines that you can claim if you are resident and responsible for kids, although quite where those kids may be... well, I wasn't paying much attention.

Child Tax Credits on the other hand are residency and income related, although by "income" you can actually *not* be earning anything. It's based on household income with a top threshold of something like £56k, although as I said before, *if* one partner is resident and the other isn't, then only the resident partner's taxable income counts towards the household income.

Ah, and yes, Eva... still no sprog! Am currently 5 days overdue! Meh!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

biker dave is an unknown quantity at this point

When I phoned up last week and enquired about the child benefit they said if you are out of the country for longer than 52 weeks you are no longer entitled and when you re-enter the country you can reclaim if your trip is under 52 weeks they make a decision on your case and post the results to you when you have filled in your reasons for leaving ect I said I was going for a year to see what we thought as our house is rented out for a year he send I would recieve the childrens benefit for 6 weeks.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:09 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yeah, CB isn't tax or income related - it's now £20/week for your first and £13-odd for subsequent. I do vaguely remember from some of the guidelines that you can claim if you are resident and responsible for kids, although quite where those kids may be... well, I wasn't paying much attention.

Child Tax Credits on the other hand are residency and income related, although by "income" you can actually *not* be earning anything. It's based on household income with a top threshold of something like £56k, although as I said before, *if* one partner is resident and the other isn't, then only the resident partner's taxable income counts towards the household income.

Ah, and yes, Eva... still no sprog! Am currently 5 days overdue! Meh!

Poor wee you...Can't imagine what that must be like...
Anyways,best to go for Thursday's Child
xxx
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:50 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biker dave
When I phoned up last week and enquired about the child benefit they said if you are out of the country for longer than 52 weeks you are no longer entitled and when you re-enter the country you can reclaim if your trip is under 52 weeks they make a decision on your case and post the results to you when you have filled in your reasons for leaving ect I said I was going for a year to see what we thought as our house is rented out for a year he send I would recieve the childrens benefit for 6 weeks.
Hmm, that does sound a bit strange, tbh. They can only backdate payments for up to 3 months and the 6 week figure sounds very random - not saying that this isn't what you were told, just that the call-centre bods hardly know what they're on about!

When I called them back in Dec after having been out of the UK (and declared non-resisdent) for 3 months, the call-centre chap told me he had to close my account and that I had to re-apply for a completely new account, which I duely did.

After a couple of months, they sent through the "entering the UK" form, which asks silly things like the number of days you've spent in the UK in the last 5 years, when you left, when you entered, if you've been out in between, whether your kids went too, where you were staying, why you were gone, etc... I filled it in and sent it off. A few weeks later they sent me another one, exactly the same. I called the call-centre to be told by Ms Shirty that I should just fill it in and send it back... again.

After another few weeks of no news, I called them and the call-centre bod sounded very confused and got a proper employee to call me back. It turned out my account had never been closed, didn't need to be closed and that they had just needed the form returned, which they'd now recieved and processed. Payments started up again from the day I said I'd returned to the UK. "Sorry for the inconvenience!"

Too bloody right!

Anyhow, long story short - the call-center bods don't know jack.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:50 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

If the loss of CHB is the difference between leaving the UK or staying, I'd suggest that you should stay where you are...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:53 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
If the loss of CHB is the difference between leaving the UK or staying, I'd suggest that you should stay where you are...
Why?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:55 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Why?
Why would someone leaving the UK to live overseas have to worry about whether they were still eligible for CHB?

And I am not gonna go all 'Commander', Eva, so please untwist your knickers before replying...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would someone leaving the UK to live overseas have to worry about whether they were still eligible for CHB?

And I am not gonna go all 'Commander', Eva, so please untwist your knickers before replying...
I can't untwist cos it should read commando........

Anyways,what is the average age of parents in Uk?
It's becoming a trend to have kids later and later in life
so there is a case that middle aged parents have fully paid up tax & NI contribs for @ 25 years.
A Rumanian arrives at Kent,he has 11 children -9 boys,he's King!
He pays nada but immediatly gets CB ....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:09 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Eva

so there is a case that middle aged parents have fully paid up tax & NI contribs for @ 25 years.
My point is that, if someone is looking to move overseas and the CB could be the straw that breaks the Marlboros back, then its pretty obvious that the package aint right..

Im not suggesting thats the reason for the OP, just sayin' is all.....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:10 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Eva

May I also point out that anyone using THAT reasoning cannot argue about how the UAE treats its 'refugees'......
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:13 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

May I also point out that anyone using THAT reasoning cannot argue about how the UAE treats its 'refugees'......

You are funny, the UAE don't have refugees
They are all ***soners...no sweary words
just circumspect blogging/posting.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:16 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Eva
You are funny, the UAE don't have refugees
They are all ***soners...no sweary words
just circumspect blogging/posting.
I thought it was only the remaining 'backwards' religions that required their womenfolk to be circumspected....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought it was only the remaining 'backwards' religions that required their womenfolk to be circumspected....
this post tells me you are clearly tired.......
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:21 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Eva
this post tells me you are clearly tired.......
I still have plenty of tread.....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:25 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I still have plenty of tread.....
Half smile.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.