Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

Just wanted to ask people who are coming from UK with the kids to work here, in U.A.E, for UK based company. Are the kids still etitled to receiving Child benefit (as the parents were moved by the UK based company abroad) or the payment will be stopped from the moment the kids are leaving UK?
thanks for any info
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK child benefit and working for UK company abroad

Originally Posted by n1na
Just wanted to ask people who are coming from UK with the kids to work here, in U.A.E, for UK based company. Are the kids still etitled to receiving Child benefit (as the parents were moved by the UK based company abroad) or the payment will be stopped from the moment the kids are leaving UK?
thanks for any info
the answer is no
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

in short, no
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot receive a UK benefit if you become non-resident and are no longer paying into the system.

-
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

thanks for any info
Deffo no - tried and failed two years ago to get it.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people think they should be entitled to a state benefit when you are not living in a country and no longer contributing to the system??

-
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:18 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

no comment...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Why do people think they should be entitled to a state benefit when you are not living in a country and no longer contributing to the system??

-
do you mean by way of tax or NI?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:13 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

ah, now this is something I have actually got my head around!

You are entitled to Child Benefit and the Tax credits *if* you are a UK resident *as long as* you are out of the country for no longer than 8 weeks (at a time). You have to tell them if you are out of the country for longer in which case, upon your return, they ask you to fill in an "entering the country" form asking you to justify why you were away, where you were and what you were doing.

If you have filled in your P85 declaring yourself non-resident then you aren't entitled to anything, although I guess you could stretch it to the 8 week mark. Rest assured that the various departments don't talk to eachother, but when you try to catch up on matters, general confusion reigns for months.

As for Tax Credits, you have to be a UK Resident for Tax purposes in order to claim - regardless of whether you're working or not. This creates a very interesting loop-hole in that one partner can be non-resident and earning tax-free and the other, resident and not earning... and the TC people really don't want to know anything about the non-resident partner or his/her tax-free earnings. Strange but true. I've spent the last 5 months getting to the bottom of this, including numerous phone calls to them going "listen... are you SURE?!"

PM me if you would like me to explain my situation, what I did and what the outcome has been.

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Jun 24th 2009 at 9:15 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:24 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
ah, now this is something I have actually got my head around!

You are entitled to Child Benefit and the Tax credits *if* you are a UK resident *as long as* you are out of the country for no longer than 8 weeks (at a time). You have to tell them if you are out of the country for longer in which case, upon your return, they ask you to fill in an "entering the country" form asking you to justify why you were away, where you were and what you were doing.

If you have filled in your P85 declaring yourself non-resident then you aren't entitled to anything, although I guess you could stretch it to the 8 week mark. Rest assured that the various departments don't talk to eachother, but when you try to catch up on matters, general confusion reigns for months.

As for Tax Credits, you have to be a UK Resident for Tax purposes in order to claim - regardless of whether you're working or not. This creates a very interesting loop-hole in that one partner can be non-resident and earning tax-free and the other, resident and not earning... and the TC people really don't want to know anything about the non-resident partner or his/her tax-free earnings. Strange but true. I've spent the last 5 months getting to the bottom of this, including numerous phone calls to them going "listen... are you SURE?!"

PM me if you would like me to explain my situation, what I did and what the outcome has been.

Hello Kitty......I was hoping you would have your hands full by now....??

The above scenario would only help those with underschool age methinks as I presume the kids would have to be back in UK also?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow

-
Let me get it right...you are getting CHB not on a basis that you contribute to NI or Tax?? A lot of women in UK get it and they have even never gone to work...as well as fathers of the children
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:56 am
Bored liberal

Let me get it right...you are getting CHB not on a basis that you contribute to NI or Tax?? A lot of women in UK get it and they have even never gone to work...as well as fathers of the children
Not me Do read the thread properly.

-
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Did not mean YOU..."People are getting CHB".....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.Kitty is correct - that's how it is
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

when my kids were 'of that age' loads of people we knew claimed benefits for their kids while living overseas - all seemed a bit wierd to me but that's just me. Both mine were born overseas so the whole process of getting them registered into the system wasn't worth the payment. Didn't need the money that badly TBH.

N

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.