Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

Originally Posted by mission
I been out of the uk for almost 18 months....i still have my 'high street' bank account with Lloyds where my mortgage payments and other loan/credit card payments are still being paid from and in addition i have a Lloyds offshore account.

Why'd you close you bank accounts - i dont get it
Keep it going, it's surprising how inconvenient it can be just doing basic things in the UK without a UK account.

Why would you close your bank accounts? Why wouldn't you? If you're leaving the UK, you're leaving. I only didn't close mine because of only having a two week notice to leave plus all my mortgage etc is paid from the account.
My other mistake though was that I did cancel all my credit cards, it's not so easy to get a credit card in Asia, even almost impossible if you live in China at some point.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

We kept our bank accounts in UK just in case . . . . don't expect to return but who knows ?

N
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:13 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see the issue; we have several bank accounts in the UK (Sterling) one with Credit Card; never been an issue and they know we are overseas. Also have one in Holland (Euro); cause we used to live there, also no issue. Now we have two offshore and also have one in Dubai. Never had a problem with any of them being "overseas".

None of them help if you want customer service, well maybe Standard Bank in IOM who, so far, have been OK.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:03 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Don't see the issue; we have several bank accounts in the UK (Sterling) one with Credit Card; never been an issue and they know we are overseas. Also have one in Holland (Euro); cause we used to live there, also no issue. Now we have two offshore and also have one in Dubai. Never had a problem with any of them being "overseas".

None of them help if you want customer service, well maybe Standard Bank in IOM who, so far, have been OK.
I have an IOM Standard Bank account and have no complaints so far...certainly better service and lower charges than HSBC. I closed my UK years ago...offshore suits me fine as I can use the debit card almost anywhere on the planet (not interest in credit cards - that whole 40% interest a year thing bothers me).

N.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I have an IOM Standard Bank account and have no complaints so far...certainly better service and lower charges than HSBC. I closed my UK years ago...offshore suits me fine as I can use the debit card almost anywhere on the planet (not interest in credit cards - that whole 40% interest a year thing bothers me).

N.
RoadKing / Norm - Thanks for your comments. I agree that it doesn't make sense as to why the UK banks want residency, but they certainly do, I've tried several now. It seems that some are more flexible if you move abroad (like yours) after you've opened the account, but if you already have moved and you want a new UK account now, no chance. I'll hang on to my IF account for as long as possible now. The alternative is an offshore current account, where most require a minimum balance of GBP 5000, they don't give you any interest, and they'll also charge you a monthly fee of gbp7.50-15.00 for having the account.
I have accounts in China (used to live there) and my account in Thailand now, I'll be keeping those...
Merry Christmas!
MP
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:07 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got an offshre account with Bradford and Bingley on Isle of Man. No charges but there may be a minimum balance. They pay interest and have good savings products too.

Even better they have not gone bust this year!

..as yet

Happy Xmas
Old Dec 25th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK 12 years ago and still have my highstreet bank account, with debit and credit cards. I have never had a problem with this and it is very handy when shutting down your local bank account in one coutry of residence before moving on to somewhere new.

Scratcher
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

I've had bad and dark experiences with HSBC here in the UAE, cards eaten by machines, erroneous charges, 6++ hours of faffing around to close account, crap customer service etc etc. Wouldnt take the risk incase other country branches are the same.

With Lloyds TSB here and in the UK (never closed my account when i left) and they are great.

I did have money in KSF Isle of Man which went tits up with Gordon Browns intervention... only just got me money back. Be careful if putting more than £50k there.

If at all possible stick it in the mainland UK, IoM second, and not any of the channel islands as protection isnt as good or doesnt exist at all there. If it does have to be IoM I have heard good things about Standard Bank on IoM also.