British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE Visa problem, not sure how to proceed. Help please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-visa-problem-not-sure-how-proceed-help-please-860300/)

Steve_Ed Jun 17th 2015 10:31 pm

UAE Visa problem, not sure how to proceed. Help please!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the UAE and need some advice with how to proceed in this predicament.

I arrived in Abu Dhabi a few weeks back on a visit visa and on the off chance applied for a job here in Abu Dhabi, after a successful interview I was offered the job, and I signed the offer letter and returned it to the head office in Dubai, with passport copy, photos ect...

While waiting for the company to get back to me my circumstance has changed and I know longer wish to take this employment, however I received notification just a few hours ago that the company has obtained my employment visa and emailed it to me, it seems to be only an electronic visa with my details on and valid for only a few months, they have requested my passport to make the 'change' over from visit visa to this new visa.

The main question I have and am not sure on, is that now I have changed my mind, has my labour approval already been granted and will I now receive an automatic ban, I want to remain in the UAE and potentially seek other employment. I have no visa in my passport, no emirates ID and I have not had any medical, but it does seem with this e-visa that some cost has been paid and I am unsure if it's too late for me to back out without being penalized?

Any advice? Help much appreciated, thank you.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 18th 2015 5:08 am

Re: UAE Visa problem, not sure how to proceed. Help please!

Originally Posted by Steve_Ed (Post 11677958)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the UAE and need some advice with how to proceed in this predicament.

I arrived in Abu Dhabi a few weeks back on a visit visa and on the off chance applied for a job here in Abu Dhabi, after a successful interview I was offered the job, and I signed the offer letter and returned it to the head office in Dubai, with passport copy, photos ect...

While waiting for the company to get back to me my circumstance has changed and I know longer wish to take this employment, however I received notification just a few hours ago that the company has obtained my employment visa and emailed it to me, it seems to be only an electronic visa with my details on and valid for only a few months, they have requested my passport to make the 'change' over from visit visa to this new visa.

The main question I have and am not sure on, is that now I have changed my mind, has my labour approval already been granted and will I now receive an automatic ban, I want to remain in the UAE and potentially seek other employment. I have no visa in my passport, no emirates ID and I have not had any medical, but it does seem with this e-visa that some cost has been paid and I am unsure if it's too late for me to back out without being penalized?

Why have you changed your mind?

norsk Jun 18th 2015 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Ed (Post 11677958)

They have applied for an entry permit. You are not on their sponsorship and they have no way of getting you banned. Just tell them you have changed your mind. Of course they may be upset so you should get your story straight before telling them.

Is the reason that you got another better paid offer?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 18th 2015 6:14 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11678166)

:thumbup:

Steve_Ed Jun 18th 2015 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11678150)
Why have you changed your mind?

The industry in particular is one reason for me having cold feet but the main reason is a family issue that needs my total attention right now, but I i wish to remain in the UAE while doing so.

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11678166)
They have applied for an entry permit. You are not on their sponsorship and they have no way of getting you banned. Just tell them you have changed your mind. Of course they may be upset so you should get your story straight before telling them.

Thank you very much. Why does their HR keep telling me I am now under their sponsorship so must send my passport to them? They also say I may have to exit again and then enter on my new visa, which I am assuming as you say is the 2 month entry permit.

So there is definitely no penalization for me during this time? Signing an offer letter is not binding in anyway?

Thank you again, I am feeling rather stressed and anxious about this on top of my personal family issues.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 18th 2015 8:23 am

Why not take the job, earn some money and sort the family stuff?

If you're not leaving the UAE then surely you can sort stuff from here and do it whilst working and earning anyway?

Steve_Ed Jun 18th 2015 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11678223)
Why not take the job, earn some money and sort the family stuff?

If you're not leaving the UAE then surely you can sort stuff from here and do it whilst working and earning anyway?

It's a fair point, but I want to avoid a labour ban, and if I can get out now doing so that would be my preference, I would not last 1 week in this job, let alone 2 years, a spur of the moment decision which I now regret accepting, just really hoping I can get away at this point without any repercussions.

I tried using the MOL services to check any information on my contract ect, while my name and e-visa appears, it just offers me the option to print my ' labour contract' which is just a picture of me on a 2 month entry employment permit. So hoping to get concrete confirmation it is ok to change my mind at this point..Thanks guys

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 18th 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Ed (Post 11678227)
It's a fair point, but I want to avoid a labour ban, and if I can get out now doing so that would be my preference, I would not last 1 week in this job, let alone 2 years, a spur of the moment decision which I now regret accepting, just really hoping I can get away at this point without any repercussions.

I tried using the MOL services to check any information on my contract ect, while my name and e-visa appears, it just offers me the option to print my ' labour contract' which is just a picture of me on a 2 month entry employment permit. So hoping to get concrete confirmation it is ok to change my mind at this point..Thanks guys

No labour ban. If you earn more than 12,000 basic I think AND have a degree (i think). Also, can't ban you if you took a job in Dubai for example as it's another Emirate and no need for NOC.

I suggest you just ring them, explain the family issues and situation, say you need to cancel anything they've done so far and apologise.

Steve_Ed Jun 18th 2015 8:49 am

Thanks for your reply scamp.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I just read an article that says the entry permit is issued after labour approval is granted, so won't the MOL ban be automatic as labour approval is already granted?

norsk Jun 18th 2015 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11678235)
No labour ban. If you earn more than 12,000 basic I think AND have a degree (i think). Also, can't ban you if you took a job in Dubai for example as it's another Emirate and no need for NOC.

I suggest you just ring them, explain the family issues and situation, say you need to cancel anything they've done so far and apologise.

regardless of the limitations they cannot impose a ban as he is not on their sponsorship until the entry permit is used...

Steve_Ed Jun 18th 2015 9:13 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11678256)
regardless of the limitations they cannot impose a ban as he is not on their sponsorship until the entry permit is used...

The 2 month e-visa was issued while I was present in the UAE on my current visit visa at the time, they said there would be no need to exit as long as I remained on this visa, does that meant the entry permit has been used, or is it always necessary to exit and re-enter? They told me that I would not need to exit, only to hand in my passport and the residence stamp would be processed....

norsk Jun 18th 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Ed (Post 11678259)
The 2 month e-visa was issued while I was present in the UAE on my current visit visa at the time, they said there would be no need to exit as long as I remained on this visa, does that meant the entry permit has been used, or is it always necessary to exit and re-enter? They told me that I would not need to exit, only to hand in my passport and the residence stamp would be processed....

After the entry permit has been issued there are two options depending on the type of visa you were in the country on; they can change status which means you don't have to go anywhere, or alternatively you need to exit the country and enter using the entry permit (I think this only applies to people who are here on tourist visas and pre-arranged visit visas. On arrival visas should not require you to exit).

Has your employer ever had your physical passport? If they haven't then they will not have been able to change status. Entry permits are issued with only copies of passport..

Steve_Ed Jun 18th 2015 9:38 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11678269)
After the entry permit has been issued there are two options depending on the type of visa you were in the country on; they can change status which means you don't have to go anywhere, or alternatively you need to exit the country and enter using the entry permit (I think this only applies to people who are here on tourist visas and pre-arranged visit visas. On arrival visas should not require you to exit).

Has your employer ever had your physical passport? If they haven't then they will not have been able to change status. Entry permits are issued with only copies of passport..

They have never held my physical passport, they only had a copy of my bio page and some passport sized pictures, along with the signed offer letter. They are asking for my passport now to make the change. So that would make sense that they would proceed to step 2 to apply for the stamping in my passport if I should provide them with it.

So until I do that, I can rest assured 100% that there is no way I can received a labour ban or any repercussions apart from a relatively annoyed HR department?

Meow Jun 18th 2015 9:46 am

If you haven't had a medical the residency visa can't have been issued.

Meow Jun 18th 2015 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11678235)

Not correct. That only applies after 12 months. Bans for virtually all if they leave a job within 12 months (assuming they have a residency/employment visa) unless moving within a free zone, sponsored by a spouse or in a government job where they choose to waive the rules.