Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE residency through investment?

UAE residency through investment?

Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

LanPie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UAE residency through investment?

Is it possible to get a residency visa by investing in the UAE either through starting up a business or investing in a current business? I've look around the net and I can't make heads or tales of whether this is possible, I found plenty on residency through property purchases (which I don't think is in operation anymore or I could have misunderstood the resources I read) however I found relatively little on residency through actual investments.

Is it possible to do? and if so, can it be done by incorporating a business in a free zone, putting the required capital for the business then use the business as a investment holding company (I already own a few UAE stocks so I'd transfer them over and buy more under the company if required)?

Hope someone can help. Many thanks
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:26 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UAE residency through investment?

Originally Posted by LanPie
Is it possible to get a residency visa by investing in the UAE either through starting up a business or investing in a current business? I've look around the net and I can't make heads or tales of whether this is possible, I found plenty on residency through property purchases (which I don't think is in operation anymore or I could have misunderstood the resources I read) however I found relatively little on residency through actual investments.

Is it possible to do? and if so, can it be done by incorporating a business in a free zone, putting the required capital for the business then use the business as a investment holding company (I already own a few UAE stocks so I'd transfer them over and buy more under the company if required)?

Hope someone can help. Many thanks
Yes, set up a company in a freezone and you get x number of resident visas.

Simples.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
Yes, set up a company in a freezone and you get x number of resident visas.

Simples.
Ah that is great

Does it matter in what free zone I incorporate if I were to live in Dubai as I'm looking at RAK and their options which look quite appealing

Also if I were to want to find a job down the line, would I need to do anything extra regarding residency or would the fact I got residency through a business be enough?

Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:47 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that is great

Does it matter in what free zone I incorporate if I were to live in Dubai as I'm looking at RAK and their options which look quite appealing

Also if I were to want to find a job down the line, would I need to do anything extra regarding residency or would the fact I got residency through a business be enough?

Thanks
You sound like a bank robber on the run. Or a money launderer.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:59 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Yes, but although helpful those qualifications aren't absolutely necessary.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I'm neither of those things, I just love Dubai when I visit my friends out there and as I have receive a decent enough income from investments in Europe, if I can get a residency visa for Dubai then why not move there for a few years?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:13 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Ah that is great

Thanks
No it doesn't matter what free zone it is, you'll get a residency permit from the emirate your free zone is in. At least m pretty sure you do.

If you got a job just transfer your visa to the new company.

Simples.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
No it doesn't matter what free zone it is, you'll get a residency permit from the emirate your free zone is in. At least m pretty sure you do.

If you got a job just transfer your visa to the new company.

Simples.
Ah that is good

Also good

It really does seem to be too simple I guess I'll hop to it and hope for the best, might be out there in time for the New Year

I suppose I'll have to work out my tax affairs UK side once I leave, mainly personal share holdings (the family company being my main source of income), I presume I'll be taxed on them UK side still?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:00 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Ah that is good

Also good

It really does seem to be too simple I guess I'll hop to it and hope for the best, might be out there in time for the New Year

I suppose I'll have to work out my tax affairs UK side once I leave, mainly personal share holdings (the family company being my main source of income), I presume I'll be taxed on them UK side still?
No idea, our local guru on all things cute, cuddly and jammy (and the odd bit of financial advice) is Meow.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah that is good

Also good

Hi LanPie,

I know some good people who can assist with setting up company / obtaining residency visa's - drop me a line if interested.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:25 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Saj786
Hi LanPie,

I know some good people who can assist with setting up company / obtaining residency visa's - drop me a line if interested.
I think every single one of us does - and a quick google search will cut out all the middlemen.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Saj786
Hi LanPie,

I'm okay thank you, I am getting to grips with doing it all although I have to plan an earlier trip out there so I can sort out business banking once everything else that needs to be done is sorted

Thanks for everyones help
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:50 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

I'm okay thank you, I am getting to grips with doing it all although I have to plan an earlier trip out there so I can sort out business banking once everything else that needs to be done is sorted

Usually when you speak with your free zone people they will sort out the bank account to. Usually.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Drop me an private message if interested and I can put you in touch with people capable of setting up the legal side of things.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If you require a business bank account here, then naturally you will require a local business to be in place.

As to your liability in UK investment income, well that depends on a) your residency status b) how long you remain UK non-resident for tax purposes and c) how your investment are set up and where income is paid.

c is complicated, but there may be ways of reducing liability to UK tax (all legitimately) with proper advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.