British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE Residence Visa rejected - UK national, whats next? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-residence-visa-rejected-uk-national-whats-next-868338/)

Worried Noodle Nov 23rd 2015 1:57 am

UAE Residence Visa rejected - UK national, whats next?

HI guys,

This is my first post on the forum since recently finding it. I have never worked in the Middle East before and have lived as an expat in SE Asia for 35 years.

I recently was offered a lucrative job in UAE offshore oil and gas sector by a UK agency who told me they were applying for my UAE residence visa via a local sponsor whom I have no contact with directly - all is done thro the UK agent. I was not asked to fill in any forms related to visa application, just send the UK agent my UK passport photo single page and education documents which are now over 30 years old. Is this normal for applying a residence permit - not to be involved personally or even travel to UAE to apply?

I have since been told by the UK agent that UAE authorities have rejected my application without reason other than a single word "security" and I have no idea why as my history is clean. It leaves me wondering how they could have concluded this without me even completing an application personally or interview?

Can anyone suggest their thoughts on this? Are either the UK agents or UAE agents up to some kind of scam, or is getting a UAE visa for offshore work very difficult at the moment?

Thanks for any feed back guys. This web site looks very useful find for me.

Millhouse Nov 23rd 2015 5:06 am

Re: UAE Residence Visa rejected - UK national, whats next?

How old are you? 50s or like 60s?
Are you white, brown or from Mediterranean arab decent??
How many brits are in the company? Maybe the have reached their quota

Anyway, your recourse is somewhere near zero. sorry.

UKCityGent Nov 23rd 2015 5:11 am

Sounds like a scam - perhaps phishing for information Did you do any background check on the agency ? Are you in the O&G sector by profession ?

Worried Noodle Nov 23rd 2015 7:44 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My main worry was whether or not the process for which one applies for a residence visa was normal? I.e. I was just asked to give passport photo page copy and an education certificate sent from SE Asia? No pre visit upfront to meet anyone in UAE. No documents to see/sign myself, everything done on my behalf with nothing shown to me. Then a rejection based on UAE authority security was info I got from UK agent, no details given. The UAE guys don't even know me?

My background is I have worked with the UK agency before in other countries, but I do not know the UAE sponsor. I am British white Caucasian, 56yo, married with kids in SE Asia and no home in UK. I have worked my line of work in O&G for over 30 years as a professional. I've never worked in the Gulf states before. Work in SE Asia is bad at the moment for expats in my line of work - so I wanted to give it a try for the kids school money.

Maybe it was a quota thing like you said and cover up.

Now I just want to know why I have been labeled as unwelcome by security as I have no reason to be so. I will push the UK agent for answers, tho they have other more important things to do I expect.

Millhouse Nov 23rd 2015 8:33 am

It could be bullshit then.

As for signing stuff, to get the first work visa (a type of entry visa as a precursor to the main residence visa) all they need is a few pics and a passport copy. The rest of the docs are needed (along with medicals etc.) for the main visa. You don't need to have met anyone etc.

Given your profile, I doubt it is security related. Probably more that they have hit their quotas or the job has gone and they are embarrassed to say.

TGFKASE Nov 24th 2015 5:21 am

I am in O&G here, and we had the same scenario happen not too long ago.

We initially thought it was to do with a prior trip into UAE that the guy had done, but when we re-applied, it sailed thru..

As has been said, it may well be that the job doesnt exist any more and the local company dont want to admit to your agent.

Worried Noodle Nov 25th 2015 2:00 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 11801305)
I am in O&G here, and we had the same scenario happen not too long ago.

We initially thought it was to do with a prior trip into UAE that the guy had done, but when we re-applied, it sailed thru..

As has been said, it may well be that the job doesn't exist any more and the local company dont want to admit to your agent.

I was supposed to relieve another expat on rotation - so there must be a job to be filled there? Now he's stuck there alone. My job role was previously vacated by another expat. I have no details why. This could all be local politics with me as the ignorant pawn.

My application for visa was resubmitted (without any additional info requested from me - so I see no reason why it would be different in outcome if they aren't going to ask me anything other than for passport photo page). Indeed two days later I was informed by UK agent re submission failed on basis of first submission security failure. A single email dismissed me after they had strung me along and approached me first about this position 6 months ago. No explanation given.

I will push UK agent for answers on why security would block me without any explanation. He's cost me time and money preparing for this and affected my other leads ongoing. But they have bigger fish to fry.

Appreciate the responses here guys.

archie159 Nov 25th 2015 12:48 pm

Either you are being conned... or the agent will genuinely have no idea why you failed. We very occasionally get people rejected by security, and there is never any reason given. Nor is there ever any reason we could tell why it happened. Sorry, but that's the way it seems to be.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that we have to submit a detailed form when we apply for security, and the candidate has to sign that form. You imply you never did anything like this...

Worried Noodle Nov 26th 2015 12:31 am

Originally Posted by archie159 (Post 11802340)
Either you are being conned... or the agent will genuinely have no idea why you failed. We very occasionally get people rejected by security, and there is never any reason given. Nor is there ever any reason we could tell why it happened. Sorry, but that's the way it seems to be.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that we have to submit a detailed form when we apply for security, and the candidate has to sign that form. You imply you never did anything like this...

Thanks for the input Archie. That is correct I was not shown any forms or asked to sign anything related to immigration. The only thing I have signed is a contract to work with the UK agent. I do believe the UK agent also does not know what happened, maybe due to inexperience. However I have some trust there as we have worked together before in other countries.

** Now I wonder since I am blocked by security twice (with only info as UK agents email to me - no other support docs to this effect) how I might be able to confirm it myself? How can I know if it is safe for me to travel via UAE with my family in future?

archie159 Nov 26th 2015 2:46 am

They will fail people on security grounds for all sorts of reasons, none of which you will ever know, and quite possibly erroneously. From what you say, I don't think you failed twice. You failed once, and when the paperwork was resubmitted they simply noted that you had been failed already and they automatically rejected the new application (rather than re-doing any form of checks) - again, that is normal (I have several times been told I could not resubmit someone who had failed unless I could get a government client to personally intervene to assist the application). I have not often seen people failed, but those which have have never had any obvious reason why they would have been rejected. None had ever had any connection in the region, had never worked here before, had no criminal record etc. It seems it just happens sometimes. We have never had any information provided about why someone failed, and I don't believe there is any way you'll get an answer to this. Finally, it is also possible that you were rejected not because of who you are, but because the people submitting your application either messed it up, or have themselves incurred the displeasure of the authorities - I've seen that before. If that is the case you might pass clearance in the future if you are applying to work for a different company, or via a different agent.

It is definitely no indication that you cannot travel via here - unless you have some outstanding criminal records, debts etc?

Worried Noodle Nov 27th 2015 2:27 am

Appreciate the very helpful post from Archie above. I hope I might get something similar from my agent in time to come. So far he is quiet on it. It doesn't help that I just lost the job and income for my children, but it will be a comfort to know I am not barred from travel, as flights between London and Asia often pass by UAE.

Like you said perhaps I will never know why they did this to me. Certainly I have no bad records. The only thing I wondered was either:

1. I am too old? 56 yo. is beyond work permit age in some countries, I don't know about UAE.
2. I am a UK expat with no home address or contact in the UK. I am permanently living on temporary residence visas in SE Asia with my family.

TGFKASE Nov 29th 2015 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Worried Noodle (Post 11803326)
Appreciate the very helpful post from Archie above. I hope I might get something similar from my agent in time to come. So far he is quiet on it. It doesn't help that I just lost the job and income for my children, but it will be a comfort to know I am not barred from travel, as flights between London and Asia often pass by UAE.

Like you said perhaps I will never know why they did this to me. Certainly I have no bad records. The only thing I wondered was either:

1. I am too old? 56 yo. is beyond work permit age in some countries, I don't know about UAE.
2. I am a UK expat with no home address or contact in the UK. I am permanently living on temporary residence visas in SE Asia with my family.

1. 60 years old is where they simply charge more for the visa..

2. Nope. I have a couple of guys doing the ThaiVisa shuffle, and no issues getting them in.

Meow Nov 29th 2015 9:33 am

Do you have a common name? I know of several cases where people have been rejected as there is someone else on the system with the same first and last name who has either been banned or has some kind of criminal record.

Worried Noodle Nov 30th 2015 6:09 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know I'm not too old and living outside the UK isn't an issue, albeit leaving me none the wiser.

I'd say my full name inc middle name isn't common although the my first name is common. I am sure I must be the only one with this name/middle name/surname combination (Irish origin) and mothers maiden name in UK. Strangely the UK agent requested mothers maiden name for visa process at a later date, which raised some alarm bells but I was willing to share as we have a history of work together before in other countries at times without incident. Also worrying is I wasn't shown the visa application documents or asked to sign anything.

* Now here's another question I still am unsure about. If I never find out why I was blocked, as I expect to be the case, who should I approach to see if it is wise for me to travel between UK and SE Asia via UAE either with or without stopover with this security block tag attached to my name?

Millhouse Nov 30th 2015 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Worried Noodle (Post 11804979)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know I'm not too old and living outside the UK isn't an issue, albeit leaving me none the wiser.

I'd say my full name inc middle name isn't common although the my first name is common. I am sure I must be the only one with this name/middle name/surname combination (Irish origin) and mothers maiden name in UK. Strangely the UK agent requested mothers maiden name for visa process at a later date, which raised some alarm bells but I was willing to share as we have a history of work together before in other countries at times without incident. Also worrying is I wasn't shown the visa application documents or asked to sign anything.

* Now here's another question I still am unsure about. If I never find out why I was blocked, as I expect to be the case, who should I approach to see if it is wise for me to travel between UK and SE Asia via UAE either with or without stopover with this security block tag attached to my name?

you will be fine to travel.