British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE rail - oh the irony! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-rail-oh-irony-617933/)

Hello.Kitty Jul 2nd 2009 8:35 am

UAE rail - oh the irony!

I'm not sure if this has already been posted - I think not...

So, we have the now-ex CEO of National Express appointed to Union Rail (UAE)... but it all bodes well when you read about his past exploits:

Oh, and finally, my MiL's train (on his line) was delayed by over an hour on Monday due to - oh yes - the *new* points buckling with the heat!

Bring. It. On.

:thumbup:

Blue Cat Jul 2nd 2009 3:41 pm

Re: UAE rail - oh the irony!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hello.Kitty Jul 2nd 2009 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7717436)

gosh... I'm amazed at the lack of laughter, let alone discussion on this one!

[goes and hides back in her corner, vowing never to start and kill another thread]

Dubaidog Jul 2nd 2009 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7717436)

I'm sure there will be a few delays due to sand/camels/ etc. on the track but I am optimist - I think that the Metro will be one of the best things that ever happened to Dubai. It will put Dubai on the world map as a proper "city" and transform the way it's people move. Yes, it will have some teething problems - but in time, once connecting routes etc. are worked through it will function. It will not be the same as London, HK, Singapore, Mumbai or Moscow - but it will work:thumbup:

Not saying that I will use it every day - but I will when it makes sense.

Ethos83 Jul 2nd 2009 7:39 pm

It's summer, so things are quiet, even on this board.

But your post is right along the standard thinking out here: bring a failed western expert here and give him a humongous package to tell the Emiratis how they can be more civilised by having all the things a city should have, but which the Emiratis won't ever use themselves.

Actually, I for one welcome rail. The metro will be a godsend, getting all the shitassed drivers from Sharjah off the highways and Al Wasl Road. Though I doubt I'll ever ride it.

I'm just pissed that the malls are going to start charging for parking.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7717756)
gosh... I'm amazed at the lack of laughter, let alone discussion on this one!

[goes and hides back in her corner, vowing never to start and kill another thread]

shiva Jul 2nd 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaidog (Post 7717785)
I'm sure there will be a few delays due to sand/camels/ etc. on the track but I am optimist - I think that the Metro will be one of the best things that ever happened to Dubai. It will put Dubai on the world map as a proper "city" and transform the way it's people move. Yes, it will have some teething problems - but in time, once connecting routes etc. are worked through it will function. It will not be the same as London, HK, Singapore, Mumbai or Moscow - but it will work:thumbup:

Not saying that I will use it every day - but I will when it makes sense.

err its not the metro he's joining but the non existent rail network company.
there are plans afoot to have a complete rail system throught the UAE and also saudi, largely to remove the lorries from the road but there will also be passenger links between abu dhabi and al ain for example.

oh and the metro :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shadya Jul 3rd 2009 6:13 am

Don't see where the interest is here. Don't has-beens approaching retirement leave the UK for a golden payout in Dubai all the time?

Jim Smith Jul 3rd 2009 6:19 am

I'm just pissed that the malls are going to start charging for parking.[/QUOTE]

As usual, people who just use the mall car parks to park their cars whilst the go to work, screw it up for genuine shoppers/those who just want to go and have a look! Thats Dubai.

P.S. I hate shopping!

klaus3974 Jul 3rd 2009 6:35 am

As usual, people who just use the mall car parks to park their cars whilst the go to work, screw it up for genuine shoppers/those who just want to go and have a look! Thats Dubai.

P.S. I hate shopping!
Probably they will only charge those who leave their car more than X hours.

Nic1 Jul 3rd 2009 6:37 am

Or maybe if you have receipts from the shops you get it free ? Like at Sainsburys.

N

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 7719185)
Probably they will only charge those who leave their car more than X hours.

10 dhs an hour if you don't produce a valid rail ticket.

al dente Jul 3rd 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7719193)
10 dhs an hour if you don't produce a valid rail ticket.

? Are they forcing you to use the metro? Or do you mean Shopping receipt?

First two hours free would be a good start..