Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE police arrest 817 drink drivers this year

UAE police arrest 817 drink drivers this year

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE police arrest 817 drink drivers this year

Originally Posted by The Dean
"Zero tolerance" does not mean the limit is zero - it is simply a phrase used to reflect the fact that there will be no exceptions, no second chances, no leniency etc. The British police have a zero tolerance policy on drink-driving every Christmas and New Year, but the limit isn't zero......

........ the problem in the UK is that you don't necessarily know if you are committing an offence or not. If I drive to a pub and spend, say, an hour drinking two pints of average strength beer, am I going to be over the limit when I drive home? Some will be, some won't............

............ which isn't right, so I suppose a zero limit would be the answer. Tough, but fair (and equal) for everybody.
This is exactly my point. Which is why the limit should be zero - I have felt completly fine after 2 pints in the past, other times I have felt pissed. It depends on so many factors.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:48 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
ok, let's adjust this for the measurement tolerance of the breath measuring device - never.
I don't think calibration -that's what you mean isn't it ? is what I am saying.
If there is a zero tolerence rate, does it mean the guy who brushes his teeth and rinses three times with an alcohol infused mouthwash is as
drunkenly driving as the guy who had a glass of chablis 72 hours ago...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
I don't think calibration -that's what you mean isn't it ? is what I am saying.
If there is a zero tolerence rate, does it mean the guy who brushes his teeth and rinses three times with an alcohol infused mouthwash is as
drunkenly driving as the guy who had a glass of chablis 72 hours ago...
Isn't that why you have to blow a whole lungful into the device? Alcoholic fumes in the mouth shouldn't register a reading.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:06 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that why you have to blow a whole lungful into the device? Alcoholic fumes in the mouth shouldn't register a reading.
When I was in Scotland-diff from Eng-the 'intoxicted' person could be
taken to the office on a visual contra RTA 1972- 5 OR 6.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
When I was in Scotland-diff from Eng-the 'intoxicted' person could be
taken to the office on a visual contra RTA 1972- 5 OR 6.
Could you translate that from Scottish to English please sweetpants?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:13 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could you translate that from Scottish to English please sweetpants?
No
Learn the superlative.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Eva- good point about the 72 hours.I had forgotten about that.It would suck ass to get imprisoned because of a random check, and found to have a tiny amount of alcohol in my system from 2 days ago.Agree on zero limit, based on a set margin of error, and calibrate all devices the same way. Install them in all cars, so drivers can be sure..
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

........ the problem in the UK is that you don't necessarily know if you are committing an offence or not. If I drive to a pub and spend, say, an hour drinking two pints of average strength beer, am I going to be over the limit when I drive home? Some will be, some won't............

............ which isn't right, so I suppose a zero limit would be the answer. Tough, but fair (and equal) for everybody.

Correct - it's the equivalent of saying it's illegal to drive at more than 120kph, and then not have speedometers in cars!
How would you know?

The only speed you can be certain of (without a source of measurement) is ZERO.
Same for alcohol.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jan 3rd 2010 at 10:31 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:14 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Correct - it's the equivalent of saying it's illegal to drive at more than 120kph, and then not have speedometers in cars!
How would you know?

The only speed you can be certain of (without a source of measurement) is ZERO.
Same for alcohol.
I see the point raised here.

But my response would what about people who know their limits. For example, I would need more than four pints before I would even get tipsy. I never drink an drive but if I had one pint then got in a car barely affected am I being irresponsible and should there be laws to stop me doing so?

Also, for the record I've been driving for a decade and only had one accident - someone came into the back of me while I was sat at a traffic light.

N.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

But my response would what about people who know their limits. For example, I would need more than four pints before I would even get tipsy. I never drink an drive but if I had one pint then got in a car barely affected am I being irresponsible and should there be laws to stop me doing so?

Also, for the record I've been driving for a decade and only had one accident - someone came into the back of me while I was sat at a traffic light.

N.
No one would say you are being irresponsible for driving with one beer in you but what's the point in protesting to be able to have a beer?
It's a beer - who cares? Is it really that much to do without?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

But my response would what about people who know their limits. For example, I would need more than four pints before I would even get tipsy.
N.
This is the problem. Your driving is already impaired by this stage and you still think you are ok.

so let's go for the middle ground - 2.5 pints, might you start to feel tired? of course.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I couldn't be a.rsed getting into the difference between 'feeling tipsy' and the brain being impaired to make reactions, decision etc. It's so boring and done to death over the years.
Still people will think they can handle more than others and perform the same.

When you start feeling tipsy you're way gone for driving....but 1 beer short of tipsy doesn't make you much better.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I never drink and drive anymore...The last time I did it I spilt my drink!!!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

N.
Irrelevant, and illogical. It's like trying to measure the effects of something with a device that's been exposed to the same force. Not a very elegant or meaningful sentence I guess.... Hey, my sentence is irrelevant and illogical!

OK, second try. There's no such thing as people's own limits. You don't know when you've had too much because the device being used to judge how sober you are is itself impaired (OK just a tiny bit) by the tiniest amount of alcohol. Obviously you can tell when you've had wayyy too much, and you can tell when you haven't had anything at all. But in the middle... There's no way anyone can say with accuracy "I've got a blood alcohol concentration of 0.056". There are so many factors to take into account that you cannot tell if you're "OK to drive".

Would you want your surgeon to self-certify he's "OK to start cutting"?
Or a pilot?
So what's the difference?

If you were the victim of an accident where the other driver admitted that he was kinda distracted because he was masturbating while driving- a totally needless act that could have been carried out at any time , just like drinking- how would you feel?

Irresponsible?
Are we not allowed to do anything that may impair our ability to drive? Driving while thinking about your debts? Driving while worried about your job? There are peopple whose normal mental capacity only slightly exceeds that of a gnat, and whose attentiveness would be dwarfed by my own even after 2 pints. They are still driving- are they irresponsible? Good question.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seven seas
Irrelevant, and illogical. It's like trying to measure the effects of something with a device that's been exposed to the same force. Not a very elegant or meaningful sentence I guess.... Hey, my sentence is irrelevant and illogical!

OK, second try. There's no such thing as people's own limits. You don't know when you've had too much because the device being used to judge how sober you are is itself impaired (OK just a tiny bit) by the tiniest amount of alcohol. Obviously you can tell when you've had wayyy too much, and you can tell when you haven't had anything at all. But in the middle... There's no way anyone can say with accuracy "I've got a blood alcohol concentration of 0.056". There are so many factors to take into account that you cannot tell if you're "OK to drive".

Would you want your surgeon to self-certify he's "OK to start cutting"?
Or a pilot?
So what's the difference?

If you were the victim of an accident where the other driver admitted that he was kinda distracted because he was masturbating while driving- a totally needless act that could have been carried out at any time , just like drinking- how would you feel?

Irresponsible?
Are we not allowed to do anything that may impair our ability to drive? Driving while thinking about your debts? Driving while worried about your job? There are peopple whose normal mental capacity only slightly exceeds that of a gnat, and whose attentiveness would be dwarfed by my own even after 2 pints. They are still driving- are they irresponsible? Good question.
Good post aside from the last paragraph.......you lost me there.
Unless you are implying that humans can be unreliable in any state in which case i'd agree. There is no such thing as an accident....if there is a crash...a human has failed at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.