Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE offers (contracts)

UAE offers (contracts)

Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

canukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nice
Default UAE offers (contracts)

I'm expecting to receive an offer over the next week or so, wondering if anyone has used a London or Brighton lawyer for this?

I'd like to have one lined up for when I receive the offer so there's no delay. Ideally one who understands UAE work...

Any suggestions for UK lawyers?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:25 pm
Banned

Dubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE offers (contracts)

do u mean offer of employment? just wondering why you need a lawyer???
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:33 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canukabroad
I'm expecting to receive an offer over the next week or so, wondering if anyone has used a London or Brighton lawyer for this?

I'd like to have one lined up for when I receive the offer so there's no delay. Ideally one who understands UAE work...

Any suggestions for UK lawyers?

Thanks!
Just me opinion here....but think you'll scare them off going in with the brief.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

canukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nice

I would expect an offer to include a 'letter of offer' and some sort of contract, which means I'd like a lawyer to go through it, advise etc.

As much as I've been researching here & other places, I'd like a legal point of view on what I should be signing.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:38 pm
Banned

Dubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect an offer to include a 'letter of offer' and some sort of contract, which means I'd like a lawyer to go through it, advise etc.

As much as I've been researching here & other places, I'd like a legal point of view on what I should be signing.
You don't need one. Just run the contract by any expat and they will assist.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:20 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Canuckabroad,Hope the job offer turns out splendid and you get the chance to enjoy UAE.Do you mind if I ask; during your reading and research,did you come across appropriate fora in which to appel a material breach of contract?.....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 3:33 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

A Lawyer your contract wont be worth the paper it is written on anyway
Old Dec 10th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

good luck, spend dosh on a lawyer, but it really wont make a difference.

Surely it will state in your contract or offer what the notice period is etc.

Why do you need a lawyer?
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest if you showed any lawyer a UAE employment contract they'd say dont sign it. the law here is very firmly on the side of the employer, employees have virtually no legal rights under UAE law. You basically have to hope that any company issues a contract along international lines and not one holding strictly to UAE law, you also have to remember that a contract in english isnt worth the paper its written on....literally, as its the arabic contract that counts in law and yes these are very often completely different from the english one.
Its just one of the joys of being an expat in the middle east where we all pretty much just hope that we get along with our employers, if not were screwed and yes there are plenty of horror stories. Unfortunately there are very few ways around the situation and you pretty much have to put your trust in a company you probably dont know and hope that they dont decide to screw you once your out here.
Large MNC's tend to be ok as they adhere to international standards but the rest can be a bit of a gamble.

To the letter of the law a company can insit that you take no leave at all for the first 12 months, they only have to pay for a flight home at the end of your contract, any sick days etc can be deducted from your salary as can any visa costs etc if you leave before the end of your contract and if you do that they can also place an employment ban on you for 6 months or up to a year if you have a non compete clause.

sorry its not very positive but employment law here is more like indentured labour than most would care to imagine. That said most of us are pretty happy and get treated ok by our employers.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:24 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

UAE labour law pdf.

http://www.zu.ac.ae/library/html/UAE...ELabourLaw.pdf

Ministry of labour site
http://www.mol.gov.ae/Pages-EN/docum...le-labour.HTML

http://www.gulftalent.com/repository...Labour_Law.pdf
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Eva,
I haven't seen anything about material breach. Sorry. If I do I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by Eva
Canuckabroad,Hope the job offer turns out splendid and you get the chance to enjoy UAE.Do you mind if I ask; during your reading and research,did you come across appropriate fora in which to appel a material breach of contract?.....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Wow! I hadn't imagined it'd be like that Shiva.
I guess what I want to at the very least is set down what I expect and what they expect (flights, wages, relocation etc.) I'l watch the non-compete clause bit though!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Eva,
I haven't seen anything about material breach. Sorry. If I do I'll let you know.
Hey Canukabroad,

Kind of ya but I ain't needing it.Merely trying to point out the the lack of due process concerning Employment lex.Save your pennies,forget the Brief,prepare to verbally wrestle and make sure the done deal is worth uprooting for.
Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Sorry, I missed your point, but thank you for the point about remembering to think about why I want 2 uproot.
x

Originally Posted by Eva
Hey Canukabroad,

Kind of ya but I ain't needing it.Merely trying to point out the the lack of due process concerning Employment lex.Save your pennies,forget the Brief,prepare to verbally wrestle and make sure the done deal is worth uprooting for.
Good luck.