Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE Labour Law Question

UAE Labour Law Question

Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE Labour Law Question

I've just come across an odd one...

Someone who has just handed in their notice at a major local employer has been asked by that employer for a copy of their new employer's contract.

Has anyone heard of this before - seems like it's none of their business and might raise legal issues (surely a contract is between you and the company and therefore nothing to do with your previous employer?).

Has anyone else of this before?

N.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default Re: UAE Labour Law Question

Never seen anything written down in UAE Labour Law. I guess they could be trying to find out :
a) are they going to the competition?
b) what package they're on (can they be tempted to stay)?

I've heard about the other way round where a new employer asks for copy of old contract. Used this myself to cut out the salary-hiking bullshit, but in both cases the individual could just say 'no'.

DB
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DustyBits
Never seen anything written down in UAE Labour Law. I guess they could be trying to find out :

I've heard about the other way round where a new employer asks for copy of old contract. Used this myself to cut out the salary-hiking bullshit, but in both cases the individual could just say 'no'.

DB
a) Changing industry completely.
b) Doubtful they can match the package (hence changing industry).

Seems to be their "policy" to keep the offer letter/contract of leavers on file. I would have thought this is simply none of their bloody business and have advised the individual to say no and also inform their new employer in case their old one tries to make an issue of this.

N.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:07 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
a) Changing industry completely.
b) Doubtful they can match the package (hence changing industry).

Seems to be their "policy" to keep the offer letter/contract of leavers on file. I would have thought this is simply none of their bloody business and have advised the individual to say no and also inform their new employer in case their old one tries to make an issue of this.

N.
NEver heard of this at all, would tell them to get focked.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DustyBits

DB
New one on me too! Probably another weapon in the arsenal of Bulshit used by the Human Remains Department, and the Amalgamated Union of PROs and Office Boys! My response would be to say that you are bound by a Confidentiality Agreement. It's probably too late to say 'I am Leaving! - Full Stop!'

Personally, I would err on the side of 'Are they going to the Competition?' - Which raises the spectre of that 'Company Secrets' clause. Therefore, request a Complete Cancellation and not a Transfer with the Visa! I have taken staff on Transfers in the past, only to find that the previous employer drags their heels, screwing-up the personal circumstances of a new Employee. This is especially so, with a new School Year coming up - Visas needed to send the kids to school, etc.