UAE Labour Law

Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE Labour Law

Those of you not aware yet - Thursday has been declared a public holiday.

Management at our office have kindly taken note of this and issued a memo to that effect.

However, our weekend is thursday/friday anway so it makes no difference - and this has happened a lot in the year or so i've been here.

Some people have suggested that the Labour Law dictates that in a situation like this I should be getting Saturday off instead.

Does anyone have any info on this or links to info?

I know it happens in other countries...but i'm not sure about here.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:50 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE Labour Law

(Hope you enjoyed your coffee)

We've been given Wednesday off which does make a change (our weekend is the same as yours) There was a rumour the holiday would be Saturday too!!
Originally Posted by kelvynd
Those of you not aware yet - Thursday has been declared a public holiday.

Management at our office have kindly taken note of this and issued a memo to that effect.

However, our weekend is thursday/friday anway so it makes no difference - and this has happened a lot in the year or so i've been here.

Some people have suggested that the Labour Law dictates that in a situation like this I should be getting Saturday off instead.

Does anyone have any info on this or links to info?

I know it happens in other countries...but i'm not sure about here.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:48 am
Princess

Jamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud of

Not sure how this works in practice. But labour law is very clear on this point: (Federal law no 8)

Leave

Article 74

Each worker shall be entitled to official leave with full pay on the following occasions :

New Year's Day (Hegira) : one day ;
New Year's Day (Christian) : one day ;
Feast of Lesser Bairam : two days ;
Feast of Greater Bairam and Eve of Greater Bairam : three days ;
Birthday of the Prophet : one day ;
Noctural Journey and Ascension of the Prophet : one day ;
National Day : one day.

Since this public holiday is the Ascension of the prophet, you are entitled to leave with pay. The only way to read this is that leave = no work and full pay, so if you can not take extra day leave you should have pay right?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamila
Not sure how this works in practice. But labour law is very clear on this point: (Federal law no 8)

Leave

Article 74

Each worker shall be entitled to official leave with full pay on the following occasions :

New Year's Day (Hegira) : one day ;
New Year's Day (Christian) : one day ;
Feast of Lesser Bairam : two days ;
Feast of Greater Bairam and Eve of Greater Bairam : three days ;
Birthday of the Prophet : one day ;
Noctural Journey and Ascension of the Prophet : one day ;
National Day : one day.

Since this public holiday is the Ascension of the prophet, you are entitled to leave with pay. The only way to read this is that leave = no work and full pay, so if you can not take extra day leave you should have pay right?
Yes - but I do get the day off and I also get paid.....I get paid for 31 days a month........not 5 days a week over a month.
So in theory I am being paid and I have the day off.....so the law probbly doesn't help.
Only thing is - i'd be getting the day off anyway regardles of the holiday.

I think i need a law that says something like
"if a holiday falls on a day when the employee would normally not have worked - that employee is entitled do day of leave in leiu"

Last edited by kelvynd; Aug 30th 2005 at 8:28 am.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:36 am
Princess

Jamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kelvynd

I think i need a law that says something like
"if a holiday falls on a day when the employee would normally not have worked - that employee is entitled do day of leave in leiu"

...and they have been discussing this but nothing final on it as far as I can find out... bummer - bummer - bummer!!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jamila
...and they have been discussing this but nothing final on it as far as I can find out... bummer - bummer - bummer!!
I'll second that!