Reload this Page >

Is UAE-Israel business legal?

Is UAE-Israel business legal?

Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

bigc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is UAE-Israel business legal?

Hello all,

I am a Bristish expat based in the UAE and working with a branch of a multinational company. My firm sells a service, not a tangible product.

My boss wants me to develop our business in Israel. He has asked me to travel to Israel(via Jordan, Cyprus etc) from the UAE to meet clients and prospect firms to sell our services.

Travel to Israel from the UAE would be required as often as monthly, and service would also be maintained via email and telephone from the UAE.

My understanding is that in theory, the UAE participates as a member of the Boycott of Israel(BOI) nations. As such, I am very concerned that if I engage in this business I may be exposing both my company and myself to legal consequences in the UAE.

I have expressed my legal concerns about the BOI to my boss, but he dismisses them, and insists that the real risks are low and the business opportunities are high.

Personally, I have no issues with conducting business with any country in the world. However, I am worried about potentially breaking the law of my host country.

I'd be interested in your experiences/opinions in regards to the legal risks if we were to conduct this type of business from our office in the UAE?

Thanks,
C
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is UAE-Israel business legal?

Originally Posted by bigc
Hello all,

I am a Bristish expat based in the UAE and working with a branch of a multinational company. My firm sells a service, not a tangible product.

My boss wants me to develop our business in Israel. He has asked me to travel to Israel(via Jordan, Cyprus etc) from the UAE to meet clients and prospect firms to sell our services.

Travel to Israel from the UAE would be required as often as monthly, and service would also be maintained via email and telephone from the UAE.

My understanding is that in theory, the UAE participates as a member of the Boycott of Israel(BOI) nations. As such, I am very concerned that if I engage in this business I may be exposing both my company and myself to legal consequences in the UAE.

I have expressed my legal concerns about the BOI to my boss, but he dismisses them, and insists that the real risks are low and the business opportunities are high.

Personally, I have no issues with conducting business with any country in the world. However, I am worried about potentially breaking the law of my host country.

I'd be interested in your experiences/opinions in regards to the legal risks if we were to conduct this type of business from our office in the UAE?

Thanks,
C
Check with the UAE Embassy in your OWN country (UK?).

Until recently if you had an Israeli stamp in your passport, you were banned from reentering any GCC country, but so much 'under the counter' business is thought to go on that it may no longer be the case.

Personally I wouldn't touch Israel with a disinfected barge pole - the political risks of fallout are all on the downside.

What possible service does your company provide that it needs to take such a massive political risk just to earn a few shekels?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Until recently if you had an Israeli stamp in your passport, you were banned from reentering any GCC country, but so much 'under the counter' business is thought to go on that it may no longer be the case.

Personally I wouldn't touch Israel with a disinfected barge pole - the political risks of fallout are all on the downside.

What possible service does your company provide that it needs to take such a massive political risk just to earn a few shekels?
You can ask them not to stamp your passport
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

there are usually ways around it!
In shipping we just change the name of the ship when it calls in an Israeli port to avoid going on the Arab Blacklist (6 month ban from arab ports).
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
You can ask them not to stamp your passport
I believe the Israelis now insist on stamping your passport (although I agree that it used to be possible to request that they didn't).

I'm waiting for my question to be answered - what possible line of work is this guy's company in that makes doing business with Israel such an attractive or acceptable risk?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Israelis now insist on stamping your passport (although I agree that it used to be possible to request that they didn't).

I'm waiting for my question to be answered - what possible line of work is this guy's company in that makes doing business with Israel such an attractive or acceptable risk?
No they will not stamp yr passport if u ask, unless thats changed since last week

Attractive/Acceptable/Ethical ?

Who knows lets see if he will tell us?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:48 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

It's not unheard of for people in such situations to get two passports...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigc
Hello all,

Thanks,
C
If you got some people in Qatar, the zionists have a Commercial Bureau setup over there...Worth giving them a call...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Warcraft...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
there are usually ways around it!
In shipping we just change the name of the ship when it calls in an Israeli port to avoid going on the Arab Blacklist (6 month ban from arab ports).
At exactly 9.10AM on Monday morning, your office will get a call...And the person answering the call will feel like NEO in Matrix,but,won't be sucked into the phone,he will be transformed physically to a new dimension...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Confucius
Warcraft...
world of warcraft
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by typical
It's not unheard of for people in such situations to get two passports...
thats true, good thinking!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

bigc is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is relevant...but its a technology business.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Confucius
Warcraft...
not a product. A service???
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annacarna
not a product. A service???
Warcraft engineering...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.