Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE ID & UAE Driving Licence from UK

UAE ID & UAE Driving Licence from UK

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Coach_Youth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UAE ID & UAE Driving Licence from UK

I know this has been asked probably a million times before, however I also know the way its done changes from time to time.

I have my residency visa issued for a company based in Dubai. However, I am living and working in Abu Dhabi, where the company also operates.

I need to get my UAE driving licence converted from my UK licence.

I understand you have to have the UAE ID card (or at least have the form to say this is in process) before you can get the UAE Driving Licence.

Q1: Can I get my UAE ID sorted in Abu Dhabi, even though my residency is issued for Dubai?
Q2: What are the steps for the UAE ID… Go online and register……what site….then get an appointment and have finger prints taken? Then get issues a form to say it is in process. Can this be done in Abu Dhabi.
Q3: I then can get the licence, but is it true you have to have the British Licence translated? (I know that you have to have a eye and all that.)
Q4: is there some kind of letter that will be needed from the employer? What should the letter say?

Please advise me with the steps I need to take, I get little help from the employer.…. Much appreciated…
Old Mar 4th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE ID & UAE Driving Licence from UK

Originally Posted by Coach_Youth
I know this has been asked probably a million times before, however I also know the way its done changes from time to time.

I have my residency visa issued for a company based in Dubai. However, I am living and working in Abu Dhabi, where the company also operates.

I understand you have to have the UAE ID card (or at least have the form to say this is in process) before you can get the UAE Driving Licence.

Q1: Can I get my UAE ID sorted in Abu Dhabi, even though my residency is issued for Dubai?
Q2: What are the steps for the UAE ID… Go online and register……what site….then get an appointment and have finger prints taken? Then get issues a form to say it is in process. Can this be done in Abu Dhabi.
Q3: I then can get the licence, but is it true you have to have the British Licence translated? (I know that you have to have a eye and all that.)
Q4: is there some kind of letter that will be needed from the employer? What should the letter say?

Please advise me with the steps I need to take, I get little help from the employer.…. Much appreciated…
If my experience last summer is anything to go by, the process has to be done in the Emirate matching your visa, irrespective of where you happen to live.

I didn't have to get my British DL translated when I got my UAE one.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE ID & UAE Driving Licence from UK

Originally Posted by Coach_Youth

normally you have to have the visa and driving licence matching. its where your trade license/offices are.
for uae id online rego is not up and running yet for expats, locals only so far. you go to any typing center fill out the paperwork and then you will get an appt for you to go to the EIDA offices to do fingerprints and photos etc. again this may well be in the emirate of your visa. once you have done the paperwork at the typing center that is enough to do any traffic services (in ad as its required not so in dxb yet), but now the rules have changed that a visa will not be issued without an id card have you the visa?. no you dont need to get the uk licence translated as its in english.