British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE ID Card for traffic and licensing services - soon? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-id-card-traffic-licensing-services-soon-666493/)

MacScot May 2nd 2010 4:25 pm

UAE ID Card for traffic and licensing services - soon?

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like I may need to get an ID card this year...:confused:

..though last paragraph says no.

Madam Medusa May 2nd 2010 4:36 pm

Re: UAE ID Card for traffic and licensing services - soon?

funny, i just said exactly the same thing to monsieur medusa...reckon this is the real deal then...?

MM, xx

MacScot May 2nd 2010 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8537132)
funny, i just said exactly the same thing to monsieur medusa...reckon this is the real deal then...?

MM, xx

I think it must be getting near the 'actual' time that we will need one...but I don't want to queue up at 4 am ever again (:frown:).

I'll try the online appointment system again and see what happens.

Euc- May 2nd 2010 11:53 pm

Has been the case in RAK since December already:thumbdown:

Jim Smith May 3rd 2010 2:29 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8537418)
I think it must be getting near the 'actual' time that we will need one...but I don't want to queue up at 4 am ever again (:frown:).

I'll try the online appointment system again and see what happens.

I took my wife 6-8 weeks to Al Barsha and only 20 numbers before hers. Done and dusted in half an hour! She had her barcodes from some months before when they said had to attend with her husband but no mention of me this time.

Seems to have been sorted out by new man at the top?

Autonomy May 3rd 2010 5:16 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8537112)
Looks like I may need to get an ID card this year...:confused:

..though last paragraph says no.

oh bloody hell... I need to renew the car registration in a week or 2 and have not sorted out this card - how accurate is this report - will I be refused the car reg. without an ID card...?

Why the hell they didn't just tie the card to visa renewals and stagger the whole thing I'll never know....

admon May 3rd 2010 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8538271)
oh bloody hell... I need to renew the car registration in a week or 2 and have not sorted out this card - how accurate is this report - will I be refused the car reg. without an ID card...?

Why the hell they didn't just tie the card to visa renewals and stagger the whole thing I'll never know....

renewed car reg yesterday.

Nothing handed over apart from the usual registration card, insurance and cash.

Nothing else was requested.

MacScot May 3rd 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8538097)
I took my wife 6-8 weeks to Al Barsha and only 20 numbers before hers. Done and dusted in half an hour! She had her barcodes from some months before when they said had to attend with her husband but no mention of me this time.

Seems to have been sorted out by new man at the top?

What time of day did you go to the Al Barsha office..and was that without an appointment?

lionheart May 3rd 2010 10:53 am

Where is Commander with his "we're British and therefore don't need one" policy when you need him?

MataHari May 11th 2010 1:00 pm

it's been postponed again for Dubai as well as AD...

also, for a few weeks getting a driving licence was a bit of a nuisance cause they would send your orgininal licence to AD and then courier it back to you with your new Dubai licence, but that has now been stopped as well and all is back to how it was before...

MataHari May 11th 2010 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8538424)
What time of day did you go to the Al Barsha office..and was that without an appointment?

you can go to Media City, building 14...they do a VIP there, costs a bit more (around 400 dhs?) but no queues...
only it's now got technical problems and will open again on Sunday May 16th...

Grace O Malley May 11th 2010 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8538748)
Where is Commander with his "we're British and therefore don't need one" policy when you need him?

ah i don't believe thats what he said, it was more along the lines of, it will be ages before the whole ID system is in place, and ah hello that was quite a while back and it still isnt in place

Autonomy May 11th 2010 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8557834)
it's been postponed again for Dubai as well as AD...

also, for a few weeks getting a driving licence was a bit of a nuisance cause they would send your orgininal licence to AD and then courier it back to you with your new Dubai licence, but that has now been stopped as well and all is back to how it was before...

yeah I renewed registration at the weekend and no need for ID card, just same as usual...

MacScot May 11th 2010 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8557846)
you can go to Media City, building 14...they do a VIP there, costs a bit more (around 400 dhs?) but no queues...
only it's now got technical problems and will open again on Sunday May 16th...

Thanks for that..it's nearby the marina. Shall do it next week.

lionheart May 12th 2010 5:39 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8558723)
Thanks for that..it's nearby the marina. Shall do it next week.

Let us all know how you got on. Today I am having to drive all the way to Abu Dhabi to collect my wife's bloody visa to visit the Greek Isles this summer, riots in Athens and volcanic ash permitting.